What is the TRI-RAIL??

waterbugohio

OK, reading another website and saw that someone had taken the TRI RAIL from FLL airport to Miami airport.

We will be staying on night precruise right next to the Miami airport. Half our group is flying in Miami, but a friend and I are flying into FLL. We have free shuttle service from Miami airport to our hotel.

What/where/how does this tri rail work and how much does it cost??

OK, trying to do a little more checking into this tri-rail. I have found it on a map. Looks like it stops outside the airport (both at Miami and FLL) So how far is this? Is it walkable? or do you take a shuttle? free?

Just debating whether this is worth the hassle or if we should just pay for shuttle to Miami?

Do a thread search on this forum as the Tri-rail topic has been beat to death on a regular basis..LOL

It's a commuter train...not real user friendly for tourists..depending on when and where you go, can be crowded, there will be no one to help you with your luggage, the luggage space that is there will be limited and if you have to schlepp upstairs to the second floor of the train you'll have to leave your luggage. Sometimes it can be delayed, too, though not always.

I swear by it for going from the WPB to FLL airport but I always allow myself a whole lot of extra time, and I usually carry only a small rollaway bag.

I don't think I'd advise it for cruisers at all, based on the aforementioed comments.It is clean and safe and cheap.

I've used the Tri-rail from Delray Beach (just south of West Palm) to FLL and to MIA. I find it convenient, but as others have said it isn't perfect. Don't go during core work commuter hours as it can be crowded. It is safe, but I personally wouldn't take it at very off hours.

Personally, I've never had a problem with luggage, but I don't travel with tons of bags. I have had a very large bag on it once, but that was just one large suitcase and my purse, so manageable. Make sure you keep your bag with you. Again, when I go to the airport it isn't major commuter times, so I found plenty of room for my bag in the seat with me.

It can be delayed, but in the several recent trips the worst I experienced was 10 minutes or so. Of course, the day before it had been an hour delay.

There is a free shuttle from FLL to the tri-rail station and a shuttle from the station to MIA. Both stations are not AT the aiport, but just a few minutes away. The trip is cheap, maybe $5 one way FLL to MIA, so I personally would take the free shuttle from FLL to the station and then a taxi from the station to your hotel. Why do station to MIA airport to hotel on shuttles when a taxi is less than $10 and SO much quicker.

One cruise we went from the port to the MIA station to Delray Beach and I won't do that again. That was the trip with the big, heavy bag. Mostly I wouldn't do it as the train runs like every hour in non-commuter times and we just missed one and sat at the station for an hour. After a long cruise it was a real drag. But I wouldn't hesitate to take it from FLL to MIA. Actually, we were planning to use the Tri-rail to get to POM next week for our cruise but I got a great price for a round trip car service instead.

golfergal,

thanks so much for your opinion. I can see where it would be busier during "rush hour" times. Our flight would come in at 9:30, so it would be around ten. Leaving and going back to FLL would be around noon, so that shouldn't be bad either. We are hoping to just do a carry on, so luggage won't be a problem. And I am not one to travel with several bags, I will go large, but not do mutilples.

Our hotel is only a mile from the airport and is actually closer to the MIA station. I would assume if we call and tell them that, they would just pick us up there instead of going back into the airport.

It sounds kinda like an experience and we may just have to give it a go.

Waiting on a response to how much car service will be and then we will decide.

One more question: do you buy the ticket ahead?? where? cash only?

You can buy your ticket right there in a machine.

The shuttle is about 5 minutes to the actual station. You may be pushing it to make a 10 am train but it's doable. You have to be out there right on the curb and be sure to flag the driver so they stop.

Remember going back the FLL airport may be crowded, too..depends on how many ships came into FLL port and MIA port. A few Sundays ago when I flew out on a Sunday morning from FLL it was crazy busy at my particular terminal.

golfergal,

thanks so much for your opinion. I can see where it would be busier during "rush hour" times. Our flight would come in at 9:30, so it would be around ten. Leaving and going back to FLL would be around noon, so that shouldn't be bad either. We are hoping to just do a carry on, so luggage won't be a problem. And I am not one to travel with several bags, I will go large, but not do mutilples.

Our hotel is only a mile from the airport and is actually closer to the MIA station. I would assume if we call and tell them that, they would just pick us up there instead of going back into the airport.

It sounds kinda like an experience and we may just have to give it a go.

Waiting on a response to how much car service will be and then we will decide.

One more question: do you buy the ticket ahead?? where? cash only?

So, if we are staying at the FLL Airport Hilton - could we take the tri-rail (about 2 miles) to the Publix (for cruise supplies) on Griffin Road, then return to the Hilton or Airport (the Hilton has a free shuttle to/from the airport).

skip it.

not luggage friendly and not generally on time....more hassle.

you have to ride a shuttle from FLL and get on the train then ride another to MIA....its a commuter rail.

been there done that never again (with luggage)......i wasn't cruising...i waited a very long time...one train had been cancelled and the next was very late.

the stops (at least FLL..cant remember about MIA) are NOT walkbale.....

So, if we are staying at the FLL Airport Hilton - could we take the tri-rail (about 2 miles) to the Publix (for cruise supplies) on Griffin Road, then return to the Hilton or Airport (the Hilton has a free shuttle to/from the airport).

take a cab....

I live on the Beach. I have yet to meet anone who has ridden it. Doesnt stop near anywhere. Very strange boondoogle. Take a shuttle directly from your hotel to either port/ airport. All of them do a fine job.Extensive discussion of various ones on this forum.

moved this to the top to see if anyone else has used it??

Really thinking of taking my chances on it. We are finding that a shuttle from FLL to our hotel and back will run about $55 per person. And since we are in so early in the morning, if we have to wait an hour, wouldn't be that bad.

Also looking into a car rental which wouldn't be much more.

Resident of West Palm Beach for 11yrs...never taken the tri-rail never will...especially if I was traveling on vacation. Not user frienldy...no reliable and honestly not safe or where I would choose to be with my suitcases. I honestly think that skipping it will save you some hassle

Good luck in whatever you decide

Archived