Voyager Laundry Backup

WC11

Going back to WC11's original posting: This is the second or third year that we've had a letter at the start of the WC asking us to limit the number of pieces of laundry we send out at one time. Problem is that before the letters, we'd all wait till our laundry bag was full and then send it and the guys were over whelmed. More smaller bags seems to work better.

Also, since many of us on board get free laundry, we send virtually everything out which increases the work load. And yesterday's bad weather slowed things down too.

I was told that there will be more guys coming in Sydney. Hopefully that will help get things on a better footing.

I don't want to get her in that much trouble.

There is a language barrier here. Some act like they understand you and they really don't. It's frustrating. That's managements fault but I don't know what can be done about it now.

I don't think she will get into trouble - it is a question of training...and what you refer to as a "language barier" might be that but, from my experience in working in Asia it is more likely that Asians do not like to say no, nor do they want to admit they have not understood. So they nod, and you think they understand, but they don't!! As your stewardess gains experience and time with Regent she will understand more. Meantime it is really a management question and you would be helping them with their staff if you pointed out this problem - in a positive and helpful way, of course. The Head Housekeeper (or whatever she is!) needs to know this is happening so she can address it!

I don't think she will get into trouble - it is a question of training...and what you refer to as a "language barier" might be that but, from my experience in working in Asia it is more likely that Asians do not like to say no, nor do they want to admit they have not understood. So they nod, and you think they understand, but they don't!! As your stewardess gains experience and time with Regent she will understand more. Meantime it is really a management question and you would be helping them with their staff if you pointed out this problem - in a positive and helpful way, of course. The Head Housekeeper (or whatever she is!) needs to know this is happening so she can address it!

She is a nice girl but your right, I sat in the cabin watched movies and drank a few beers yesterday. But then we had a 5 minute conversation about that won't happen everyday and I don't need a half a case of beer a day. I see if i can run into HH

The not knocking I will let slide, I lock the door and put out the no service sign

I am going to have a talk with the Head Housekeeper. I have no idea where half my laundry is and am wearing the same things two days in a row. It's not funny anymore. If they had said the day we left San Diego that it was only 4 pieces at a time that would have been fine. But saying it a week into the cruise just is unacceptable. I want some credit elsewhere for this too!

I bought all these nice clothes for this trip and I can't wear them because Regent fouled up. That's on them, not me. This is a World Cruise.

I am going to have a talk with the Head Housekeeper. I have no idea where half my laundry is and am wearing the same things two days in a row. It's not funny anymore. If they had said the day we left San Diego that it was only 4 pieces at a time that would have been fine. But saying it a week into the cruise just is unacceptable. I want some credit elsewhere for this too!

I bought all these nice clothes for this trip and I can't wear them because Regent fouled up. That's on them, not me. This is a World Cruise.

I am trying not to laugh -- because it isn't funny -- just strange. I would escalate your concerns to a level above the Head Housekeeper. Regent officers (and the head office) need to know about this issue. What you are experiencing is not acceptable -- especially on a world cruise (JMHO).

I met with house keeping and this is settled. They asked me if I wanted to change Stewardess and I said no. We just need to get her to push the bell before she enters When she doesn't understand she should ask again on what I meant. The language barrier exists but if she doesn't understand me she should say so.

She is a sweet hard working girl and I think she will make a good stewardess for Regent. I told them that. As some else said she needs training. But for now I am happy as I hate going over people heads

I met with house keeping and this is settled. They asked me if I wanted to change Stewardess and I said no. We just need to get her to push the bell before she enters When she doesn't understand she should ask again on what I meant. The language barrier exists but if she doesn't understand me she should say so.

She is a sweet hard working girl and I think she will make a good stewardess for Regent. I told them that. As some else said she needs training. But for now I am happy as I hate going over people heads

Glad to hear that this is resolved. Just want to clarify that I wasn't suggesting that you go above housekeepings head about your stewardess. . . . I was talking about your clothes. If the laundry doesn't improve, you'll be able to recognize the world cruisers -- they will be the people wearing bathrobes;)

Agreed Rally, I hate starch on my shirts. Now we are back on topic. BTW, love your posts. You are entitled to post anywhere on these boards. Sorry I got off topic.

I hope this qualifies as a laundry topic and thus acceptable . . . . . one of my favorite little things (sung to the tune of "The Sounds of Music") is, months after a cruise, to pull something out of the closet and find that little Regent laundry tag tucked inside somewhere. Takes me right back =)_

On the topic of laundry -

First,

WC11: Condolences on the laundry mishap. Any progress?

I still don't quite understand why Regent would not be prepared for the laundry volume if historically the WCers are exuberant in their use of complimentary laundry? Did they think you all would wait until the second segment to send anything?

Second,

I'm a cold water wash, delicate dry kind of gal for pretty much all my clothes. Seems to preserve the color and probably as importantly the size / shape of the clothes.

Is the Regent laundry (send out) to be trusted by someone like me or would I be better off doing my own in the guest laundry?

And parenthetically (2 a.), I understand one needs to specifically press a button to add detergent in the guest washers unless one wants a "rinse and spin".

Can you add your own detergent instead? I know this sounds a little picky but one too many encounters with a Tide allergy in the underwear leaves one a bit "sensitive" to these matters.

Thanks for the input.

I use cold water for all our clothes and they do preserve color and size. If you send it out just write down how you want them to be cleaned. Hot water wash will shrink your jeans or other fabrics. Many people are allergic to Tide. Including me.

Another hint is to take a Tide stick in case you spill something on a shirt or dress just to get the stain out and just let it dry not wearing it.

I hope this qualifies as a laundry topic and thus acceptable . . . . . one of my favorite little things (sung to the tune of "The Sounds of Music") is, months after a cruise, to pull something out of the closet and find that little Regent laundry tag tucked inside somewhere. Takes me right back =)_

I know I get the same feeling. Sure hope they get the snafu on the WC fixed quickly.

On the topic of laundry -

Second,

I'm a cold water wash, delicate dry kind of gal for pretty much all my clothes. Seems to preserve the color and probably as importantly the size / shape of the clothes.

Is the Regent laundry (send out) to be trusted by someone like me or would I be better off doing my own in the guest laundry?

I have no problem with their laundry and have them wash my TB silk shirt. They have always come back great and are pressed to perfection. My wife and other do not trust them for some of their "delicates" and hand was h them.

And then there is the "tag" placement problem. Most times it no problem, but sometimes those stiff canvas tags show up in the weirdest places........

j

All of our laundry on the Voyager has came back in perfect condition. Prior to reading this thread I had remarked to my wife what a great job they are doing. It seems to be coming back to us sooner also.

Bravo!

On Navigator in May over 75% were SSS. I was told this by none other than the esteemed John McNeil, but could see for myself when we went to the reception. The theatre was full to the brim!!

Back to the stewardess/communication problem. The fisrt thing that needs to happen is to make her comfortable in admitting she didn't understand. And getting to that step, for an Asian, takes a lot of time...so I doubt it will happen even on a World Cruise!!

On Navigator in May over 75% were SSS. I was told this by none other than the esteemed John McNeil, but could see for myself when we went to the reception. The theatre was full to the brim!!

Back to the stewardess/communication problem. The fisrt thing that needs to happen is to make her comfortable in admitting she didn't understand. And getting to that step, for an Asian, takes a lot of time...so I doubt it will happen even on a World Cruise!!

Your right. She really is a pleasant gal. I just look her in the eyes and nod my head. She gets it. As for the laundry I have it all back. Every cruise has it's issues but I'm finding that Regent really tries. Last night we had 3 waiters in Compass Rose, but it's all good.

Well at least some cruise lines in the five star category hire staff that can speak and understand English and go through a strict training program regarding service and yes that does include laundry.

As a side remark to TC, I have been on Regent in the last five years when it became all inclusive and took five cruises with RSSC/Regent. Also I have been on SS and the other line that I favor which will make sixteen next month. Seabourn is next for us.

We have friends who are or should I say were avid Regent fans but after their last cruise which was their 10th they commented for what they paid they were going to try some other luxury lines because the service and food on Regent was not the same.

I don't understand how you can say you know the product when you have not ever sailed the other lines.:confused:

Ok, back to the topic of laundry. I certainly understand finding laundry tags on shirts or pants at a later date when you need them. I would find a few and realize the last time I had worn them was on a cruise.:eek: I was amazed that I could fit into the clothes that were getting tight while cruising and now they fit perfectly.

I am a a bit confused about the "Asian" comments. Is this in reference to crew from the Philippines. . . . or, new hires from another Asian country? We have not encountered anyone on the Regent staff that did not understand English. There could be cultural differences and slips in the training they received. . . . but, it would surprise me if they did not understand English.

and what you refer to as a "language barier" might be that but, from my experience in working in Asia it is more likely that Asians do not like to say no, nor do they want to admit they have not understood. So they nod, and you think they understand, but they don't!! As your stewardess gains experience and time with Regent she will understand more. Meantime it is really a management question and you would be helping them with their staff if you pointed out this problem - in a positive and helpful way, of course. The Head Housekeeper (or whatever she is!) needs to know this is happening so she can address it!

I was afraid this question might arise as this moved from one page to another, and some may have missed the first page. Hambagahle was speaking from his/her experience from working in Asia. I actually took it as a positive comment about the fact Asian service personnel on the ships are eager to please. Service so much more valued in that part of the world. Who knows, but I see no reason for this thread to dissolve into such a discussion as if Hambagahle was making a disparaging comment about them. All I know is that I surely would not do well if I had to learn the language of any Asian nation. Had enough problems with college French!

I have been lucky that all my cabin stewards were able to understand my needs and wants, and you can almost "read" a face when they don't.

Well at least some cruise lines in the five star category hire staff that can speak and understand English and go through a strict training program regarding service and yes that does include laundry.

Ok, back to the topic of laundry. I certainly understand finding laundry tags on shirts or pants at a later date when you need them. I would find a few and realize the last time I had worn them was on a cruise.:eek: I was amazed that I could fit into the clothes that were getting tight while cruising and now they fit perfectly.

We have never encountered anyone on Regent, from low to high, that does not speak and understand English. Any comments to the contrary are rubbish.

I feel people should be very cautious when posting in a public and rather anonymous forum and in ascribing traits to other races and nationalities.

I think all the staff tries very hard to be gracious and helpful, not just the Asians.

I'm sure the OP is a lovely person (based on all previous postings) but that kind of statement is pretty open to misinterpretation. I feel these kind of remarks are just best left unwritten.

Archived