Smart Casual - the debate

blitznbobs

I'm interested in what you said here... that in your eyes there is a certain "look" that is appropriate for a cruise ship. I'm somewhat new to cruising vacations -- have been on four, and the first one was so many years ago that I don't really count it, so really, have been on three cruises. You seem very knowledgeable about all things fashion... if you have time, I would love to hear your thoughts on what this cruise ship look is! I'm just curious to know. And I hope I'm not taking this thread too off-topic -- let me know if I am...

Please don't hesitate to start your own thread asking Jane110 thisquestion...and leaving it open for others to post pictures. There is already a thread about "post a picture of your formal dress" (or something like that) so I think it would be great to have another thread regarding other evenings and day wear.

Personally, I think you will find ever interpretation of formal/smart casual/casual/jeans/shorts/t shirts/bathing suits as you can imagine on a cruise ship. Especially if you are cruising on one of the main stream cruise lines. RCI, Princess, HAL, Carnival, NCL, Disney....just average everyday people.

I dress for the expected temps of the ports. I have taken jeans for dinner on a cruise, more a trouser style in a dark denim, I'd not consider casual jeans for evening even around where I live. But, we're all different.

I agree that neither outfit is elegant casual, but I think the jeans outfit could work for SMART casual. IMO, the two dress codes are different. I agree that ELEGANT casual should not include jeans.

Yes the model looks great in that outfit, but there are certainly variations of that outfit that could work for many body types. I am no where near thin, so I could not wear that top with skinny jeans. I'd have to look for something with a sleeve and be less form fitting.

IMO, you can never be too rich. ;)

See, I don't think the model looks great in that outfit. She has a pretty face and pretty hair, but honestly, I think she is too skinny, EVEN in clothes. ;)

I think she would be prettier in something that is not so form-fitting.

This is the only pic out of most of them that I would consider to be appropriate as smart casual in the evening:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/bisim/MK-2CF3_mn.jpg

It's a matter of taste, though, these I think of as too casual, more day wear: http://www.calvinklein.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3512664

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=144503&d=1264659539

Personally, I think you will find ever interpretation of formal/smart casual/casual/jeans/shorts/t shirts/bathing suits as you can imagine on a cruise ship. Especially if you are cruising on one of the main stream cruise lines. RCI, Princess, HAL, Carnival, NCL, Disney....just average everyday people.

That's what I feel like I've seen on the three cruises I've been on, which were on the mainstream lines -- Princess and X. And it's what has me curious about this cruise ship "look" that Jane, and maybe others, have in their minds. As I was following along on this thread it seemed to me that the conversation started with "what's acceptable" and morphed to "what's in the top 10% of appropriate". Because (I think?) we all agree that if the cruise ship says denim is OK for smart casual, then it's OK -- but what's OK and what's in the top 10% are two totally different bars, right? I should go start a new thread on this, as you suggested!

So if you can wear trousers (or pants if you prefer) and a nice top on formal nights and pants and a nice top on a formal night what's the difference between the two? (forgive my newbie ignorance)

I honestly don't understand your question, so won't even guess at an answer. However, the topic of discussion here is casual night attire, and what ia "smart casual?"

And secondly (cos this thread has got me a bit confused) is strapless OK for formal wear cos 2 of my dresses are strapless and I really want to wear one of them...???

You're confused because you're thinking about formal nights on a thread about casual attire.

But just for the record, strapless dresses are fine whether they're on a formal dress or a casual sundress. I don't see where you read into anything that strapless is a no-no. They are absolutely acceptable.

Yes, that looks like what a 70 plus year old woman would wear for casual daytime,it is not dinner wear. (except Cracker Barrel and Bob Evans) .

My mother wouldn't be caught dead in that second outfit!

And she's past 70.

But again, we weren't commenting on personal likes/dislikes, just what's appropriate. That 2nd outfit is certainly appropriate for daytime aboard a ship - even if no one I know would ever own such dreck. :D

And she's past 70.

But again, we weren't commenting on personal likes/dislikes, just what's appropriate. That 2nd outfit is certainly appropriate for daytime aboard a ship - even if no one I know would ever own such dreck. :D

But I have seen many women wearing similar outfits on casual nights. They think it is totally appropriate because it is "slacks" as suggested on the dress codes. I put that picture there to show that jeans can be just as nice or nicer than what many women wear.

It would be nice to see what the women who think jeans only belong in the garden wear on casual nights. Polyester pants, anything with an elastic waist or Dockers are going to be much, much more casual than a nice pair of jeans with a great top and heels.

People who hate jeans- please post what YOU wear on casual nights.

quote:

"People who hate jeans- please post what YOU wear on casual nights"

I don't hate jeans at all:D I have quite a few pairs but I don't wear

them on cruises (except for daytime in Alaska;))

What do I wear on casual nights? Dresses, (usually in a matte jersey)

or skirts and tops and I always pack a pair of black silk pants and they

always work well with a nice top and a pair of black sandals

with a medium heel.

I just returned from a Caribbean cruise and need to upload my photos:D

People who hate jeans- please post what YOU wear on casual nights.

Okay....

I'm in my mid-40s and not thin (:rolleyes:), so here's some idea of the type of thing I'd wear for smart casual:

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?itemId=prod99390001&eItemId=prod96280062&cmCat=search&searchType=MAIN&parentId=&icid=&rte=%252Fsearch.jhtml%253FNo%253D80%2526Ntt%253Deileen%252Bfisher%2526_requestid%253D35199%2526N%253D0

Or something like this:

Smart-Casual.gif

I love that!

Cynthia, pretty outfit!:) I can't wear skinney pants like those but I would

definitely wear that style top with my black silk slacks;)

I would wear a purple color though:D

Cynthia, pretty outfit!:) I can't wear skinney pants like those but I would

definitely wear that style top with my black silk slacks;)

I would wear a purple color though:D

I actually wouldn't wear them so skinny either. :o But definitely not wide legs.

But I have seen many women wearing similar outfits on casual nights. They think it is totally appropriate because it is "slacks" as suggested on the dress codes. I put that picture there to show that jeans can be just as nice or nicer than what many women wear.

It's obvious that any woman that would wear that outfit has no fashion sense, nor any sense of style. She looks at what hides her body, not enhance it, is a comfortable as a potato sack, is easily washable and she likes the cheery design. For this particular woman, it's perfect.

I don't own a pair of jeans and even if I did, I would only wear them horseriding...sorry jean-lovers, just my opinion. In my books they aren't an item for smart casual dining on a cruise ship.

which is interesting cos I own lots of pairs of jeans and 2 horses and would never ride in them... WAY too painful.

Blitz

I honestly don't understand your question, so won't even guess at an answer. However, the topic of discussion here is casual night attire, and what ia "smart casual?" .

Sorry I meant the first one to be 'smart casual' rather than formal... thinking faster than I type sometimes gets me in trouble...

Fab outfit! I'd wear that in a NY minute!

Now I am confused since you wrote the following in response to a post I made two pages ago "I think you're getting off topic here. It's about what's appropriate onboard, not what any of us personally looks good in."

And she's past 70.

LOL! Jane I can't picture your mother wearing that, myself. Nope -not Jane 110's mom, after all you have her genes! if I am still around when I am past 70, I doubt I would wear that either.

Ahem, I am in the "over-70 group" and wouldn't be caught dead in that outfit. We just got back from a Regent cruise that was casual elegant every night and I wore silk pants and dressy tops, a long linen dress, a black cocktail dress, white pants and dressy tops....you get the idea. By the way, the only jeans we ever saw (and there were several 40-50 year olds on) were on deck. Never in the dining room.

Esther that is the over 70 "Walmart, Cracker Barrel, Bob Evans- look." LOL! No, you would look silly wearing that on a Regent cruise, and even premium lines like HAL and Celebrity I don't think you would see very many.

On my crusie earlier this month, the age demographic was decidedly over 65 for the most part. I did see a few of those outfits, (a very few) in the daytime, but none at dinner.

Now I am confused since you wrote the following in response to a post I made two pages ago "I think you're getting off topic here. It's about what's appropriate onboard, not what any of us personally looks good in."

It has morphed a bit. That is why my first post was more neutral about the women over 70 outfit, but since a couple have posted to me that they would not wear it, I have to admit I do not care for it either.

One thing though, I need to add, I do think in that age bracket, many are living on small fixed incomes, and perhaps they can't afford better. I say that because that is fairly inexpensive. So, for you adult children who are so fortunate that your mothers are still living and planning a once in a lifetime splurge on a cruise, do something nice and take her shopping and splurge a bit on her-if she objects- just tell her it is her Christmas, Mother's Day and birthday gift all rolled in to one.

Archived