Smart Casual - the debate

blitznbobs

H:)i...I am sailing out of NJ in May with one stop in Boston:D:):D

Daytime attire? And I have been to Boston only once....went to

the downtown area...Freedom Trail area? Wondering what you

might recommend if I choose not to a ship excursion..daytime

would be casual I am sure;)

Hi Lois. That's fantastic! Does the ship dock at Black Falcon Terminal? That is over in South Boston so no matter what you choose to do, you will need transportation to Boston proper. What types of things are you interested in doing or seeing? What is the date you will be in port - I will check to see if there are any great local events going on. I love the Freedom Trail, The North End for great Italian food, Copley Plaza and Newbury Street for people watching and shopping. So much to do.

Style is definitely casual. As you know comfy walking shoes especially for places like Faneuil Hall and the Freedom Trail. Lots of uneven terrain. Layers are great as you can be in one part of Boston and swelter and in another area with whipping winds.

Hi Lois. That's fantastic! Does the ship dock at Black Falcon Terminal? That is over in South Boston so no matter what you choose to do, you will need transportation to Boston proper. What types of things are you interested in doing or seeing? What is the date you will be in port - I will check to see if there are any great local events going on. I love the Freedom Trail, The North End for great Italian food, Copley Plaza and Newbury Street for people watching and shopping. So much to do.

Style is definitely casual. As you know comfy walking shoes especially for places like Faneuil Hall and the Freedom Trail. Lots of uneven terrain. Layers are great as you can be in one part of Boston and swelter and in another area with whipping winds.

I don't know which terminal we dock in...oh well. I remember going to

Nathaniel Hall...what is Faneuil?

There was a very moving area which I had no idea Boston honared...

A tribute to those lost in the Holocaust....

And I walked around the North End too....all that Italian food:D

I understand the thought that if you pay an amount of money for something, that you need to justify that expenditure by getting your money's worth out of them. But just a suggestion you might want to consider a less expensive brand in the same style and use the savings to invest in some pieces that are dressier.

Americans are definitely becoming more casual but there are also some places that jeans are not appropriate, no matter how dressed up they are. I was thrilled recently when my sons had a football banquet and the invitation specifically said: NO JEANS, Shirt and Tie Mandatory. Every young man adhered to the dress code but there were moms at the event....in jeans. :rolleyes:

And therein may lie the difference. My daughter went to a private school where jeans were not allowed and boys were made to wear blazers and ties to classes. Everyone looked so nice.

Esther, you must have missed my last couple of postings:)

I have been to Boston before although its been quite a few years.

I may end up booking a ship's tour anyway but the excursions are not

offered right now.

oops...we are definitely off topic....sorry!

I understand the thought that if you pay an amount of money for something, that you need to justify that expenditure by getting your money's worth out of them. But just a suggestion you might want to consider a less expensive brand in the same style and use the savings to invest in some pieces that are dressier.

Can anyone guess which is the $500 pair and which is the $50? Most of the time, the only one who knows a pair of jeans are expensive is the person wearing them.;)

hilostudpockets.jpg

Americans are definitely becoming more casual but there are also some places that jeans are not appropriate, no matter how dressed up they are. I was thrilled recently when my sons had a football banquet and the invitation specifically said: NO JEANS, Shirt and Tie Mandatory. Every young man adhered to the dress code but there were moms at the event....in jeans. :rolleyes:

This is certainly taking it to the extreme and I realize the person who brought up cost was talking about wearing a nice complete outfit. But, if we're talking about appropriate casual these do not fit the bill although they cost waaaaaay more than Alfred Dunner outfits that people seem to bring up. Cost does not make it right.

hilopatches.jpg

I really have no problem with allowing jeans in the MDR if it's a put together look. The problem becomes when people hear nice jeans, ALL they hear is jeans. They push it to the limit, don't know what nice jeans are and wear the kind that should be reserved for working in the yard.

I guess now people are going to tell me I shouldn't worry about what other people are wearing.:p

I'm just curious. Exactly what is it about jeans that is offensive to people. Is it the fabric, denim? Or the cut? Because all of my jeans are cut better and fit better than someone wearing a pair of khakis or polyester pants with an elastic waist.

Why is there no uproar over polyester?

I don't have a problem with anyone else's choice and would never say a particular fabric should not be allowed and don't get why others do??:confused:

I'm just curious. Exactly what is it about jeans that is offensive to people. Is it the fabric, denim? Or the cut? Because all of my jeans are cut better and fit better than someone wearing a pair of khakis or polyester pants with an elastic waist.

Why is there no uproar over polyester?

I don't have a problem with anyone else's choice and would never say a particular fabric should not be allowed and don't get why others do??:confused:

For me I would say it is primarily the fabric, secondarily the cut. Denim is generally a heavyweight, workmanlike material. Yes, they make lighter versions now, but still, to my mind, not really a dressy fabric. I can get the whole "urban chic" look, but I still would not say that it is "dressy" or "smart casual" by my interpretation.

The "uproar" as you call it about jeans happens because people come to these boards and ask for opinions about wearing jeans. Sadly, no one seems to ask opinions about wearing polyester. ;)

Honestly, after reading this thread, I'm not even sure I want to go any more. I'm sailing on Carnival Conquest in three weeks on my first ever cruise (age 64), and this is depressing me. I'm retired, and I haven't owned any dressy clothes, or dresses for that matter, in years, and I never wear heels. I have no intention of spending money on clothes that I won't wear again. I have some nice pants and great tops, and I'm planning on eating in the MDR and dressing in accordance with Carnival's printed dress code. I'm sorry if anyone will be offended :(

Honestly, after reading this thread, I'm not even sure I want to go any more. I'm sailing on Carnival Conquest in three weeks on my first ever cruise (age 64), and this is depressing me. I'm retired, and I haven't owned any dressy clothes, or dresses for that matter, in years, and I never wear heels. I have no intention of spending money on clothes that I won't wear again. I have some nice pants and great tops, and I'm planning on eating in the MDR and dressing in accordance with Carnival's printed dress code. I'm sorry if anyone will be offended :(

Hi:)it sounds like your nice pants and tops are perfect:) and if you

are knowing you are dressing in accordance with the ship's dress code?

No reason to be depressed:D....sounds like you have it down pat!

Nobody said you need to spend money on clothing if you already own

things that will work.

Have a great time:D

Oh, what does being 64 have to do with it? Cruisers come in all ages:)

For me I would say it is primarily the fabric, secondarily the cut. Denim is generally a heavyweight, workmanlike material. Yes, they make lighter versions now, but still, to my mind, not really a dressy fabric. I can get the whole "urban chic" look, but I still would not say that it is "dressy" or "smart casual" by my interpretation.

The "uproar" as you call it about jeans happens because people come to these boards and ask for opinions about wearing jeans. Sadly, no one seems to ask opinions about wearing polyester. ;)

Yes. There is certainly lighter weight denim. There is also light weight denim in dressy fabric. It's out there in a variety of price ranges.

That is fine lots of women don't wear heels and dresses to the MDR and they look great.

I like dresses and heels so thats what I wear. I also have a lot of them

Being short 5"2 and DH is 6"1 heels are just part of my every day life.:)

After the jeans debate I am confused (Why can't all nights be formal nights it would make my life so much easier). I always thought a smartly cut pair of jeans with a stylish top/ jacket and killer heels was definitely within the ''smart casual'' catergory and had planned to wear this on some of the casual nights - but apparently some people say not -- so what exactly do you see as 'smart casual' and where does casual kick in?

Blitz

It depends on the cruise line. Read the dress code for the cruise line you are interested in.

Jamstew..Don't be depressed!!! Get excited you are going on your first cruise and you are going to love it!!!! Your pants and nice tops sound great for the MDR...you don't have to wear dresses. It is not my experience that everyone is dressed to the nines, quite the opposite really. You'll see a broad spectrum. I love shopping and buying clothes but even I have a hard time buying items that I'm only going to wear once in a blue moon.

Oh, we are in Boston on Tuesday, May 18th from 10:00am-6:00pm

Oh Lois, I am so upset. I was going to suggest if it was a weekend day you would be in town, I would have loved to be your tour guide! :(

Let me see though if there is anything that looks interesting that is going on. May is a great time of year to be in Boston. The trees are popping and the weather is perfect. Keep me posted on the shore excursions through the cruiseline and I can let you know if it is something good.

Oh Lois, I am so upset. I was going to suggest if it was a weekend day you would be in town, I would have loved to be your tour guide! :(

Let me see though if there is anything that looks interesting that is going on. May is a great time of year to be in Boston. The trees are popping and the weather is perfect. Keep me posted on the shore excursions through the cruiseline and I can let you know if it is something good.

Hi:)...I posted a new thread on here about the "New Itinerary"

so we don't keep getting off topic on this poster's thread..check the top of this

forum;)

Don't worry about it. Don't let the clothing police intermediate you. I've been on five Carnival cruises and have two more booked. All you need are some nice clothes and you will be fine. Wear what you would wear to a 3 star restaurant and you will be fine. Wear would you would wear to church on Sunday and you will be fine. Wear what you would wear to a dinner at a friend's house and you will be fine.

Here is the waiters and waitress dancing on the tables on the Carnival Glory. Do you think anyone is going to bother you about how you are dressed if the waiters and waitresses are dancing on the tables?

CarnivalDR.jpg

Here is me, taking a picture of our waiter taking a picture of two of the girls that were with us on the Carnival Paradise. Look at the atmosphere. Do you think they care what you are wearing?

PIMG_5927.jpg

You can see, my friend (again on the Paradise) is wearing a suit, but the girls are not dressed fancy ...

PIMG_5931.jpg

This is from the Carnival Victory ...

DIMG_0289.jpg

This is from the buffet. Do you think these people care what you are wearing?

lunchtime.jpg

Carnival is a very casual line. Several conversations have been going on here. No wonder you are confused. Some are referring to other lines (including some of my posts) whose suggested code is not as casual, such as HAL. Carnival actually allows jeans and more casual dress on casual nights.

As I posted, I follow the guidelines of suggested dress for whatever cruise line I am cruising. On NCL I wore white jeans to dinner and khaki slacks, as their suggested code is much more relaxed, but I would have been out of place, and not following suggestive code if I had worn that on HAL.

I think that is the crux of that matter, there are some who want to dress casually, no matter which line they are cruising, and their argument is the dress code is "suggested," so it is not necessary to dress smart casual if you prefer to be dressed more causal.

Because all of my jeans are cut better and fit better than someone wearing a pair of khakis or polyester pants with an elastic waist.

:confused:

Mine, too! There's nowhere in Austin, from top-tier restaurants to the opera, that I would be under-dressed in nice, great-fitting jeans with a dressy top and pretty shoes. I only wish I could find other pants that fit as well :)

Oh, what does being 64 have to do with it? Cruisers come in all ages:)

The only reason I mentioned my age is because it's my first cruise, so I'm not familiar with what's considered "appropriate" dress. Cruising isn't anything I've even considered before, and wouldn't have this time except that my son asked me to go to share the expense of a cabin with him.

That is fine lots of women don't wear heels and dresses to the MDR and they look great.

I like dresses and heels so thats what I wear. I also have a lot of them

Being short 5"2 and DH is 6"1 heels are just part of my every day life.:)

I'm also 5'2" and my ex was 6'2", so I have lots of history with heels! I think I gave away about 30 pair when I retired. I had to buy a pair for a class reunion last year, and after all of the events, I was afraid I'd done permanent nerve damage to my feet :D

Archived