Gluten free meals - any experiences?

We are going on Brilliance of the Sea Mediterranean cruise in September. Our daughter is 13 and a celiac. We know we have to alert RCC about her dietary needs but I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with gluten free meals on board. What were they like? Were they boring and bland? How was it handled?

Thank you.

We are going on Brilliance of the Sea Mediterranean cruise in September. Our daughter is 13 and a celiac. We know we have to alert RCC about her dietary needs but I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with gluten free meals on board. What were they like? Were they boring and bland? How was it handled?

Thank you.

My partner, and mother are both Celiac, so i have seen it done a few times!

There are plenty of options you her. The buffet will be hit or miss, use common sense here. You can also ask the staff, and they can point you in the right direction.

In the MDR the server will show you the next nights menu and have you make your selection, and it will be prepared GF for you. They will even have GF bread, but from what i could tell it was typical brick bread which most GF bread is. As far as taste goes, its comparable to the non GF food that is served. Neither my mom or partner have complained about the taste.

Overall its a fairly painless process, and RCCL really does a good job to make sure you can enjoy your cruise, and food without getting sick! Enjoy your cruise!

On my Rhapsody cruise, we talked with a family who needed GF food and told RCCL thye were disappointed with the food labeling in the windjammer. For the rest of the cruise (all 16 days of it) every single gluten-free option was labeled as such in the windjammer. Not sure if they always do that, but it was an interesting result.

Thank you both for your very helpful information. It is reassuring to know that RCC make such an effort to accommodate special diets. My daughter loves good food and we don't want her to miss out.

If anyone else has any more experiences please let me know.

Suggest you contact the Special Needs Department of the cruise line . Advise them of your daughters needs and have it noted in your booking. After boarding the ship , head directly to the main dining and ask to speak to the Matre D'. The matre'd will be able to assist you with your daughters special needs.

Suggest you contact the Special Needs Department of the cruise line . Advise them of your daughters needs and have it noted in your booking. After boarding the ship , head directly to the main dining and ask to speak to the Matre D'. The matre'd will be able to assist you with your daughters special needs.

I contacted the special needs dept, as well as talking to the Matre D' on the first two cruises after being diagnosed with Celiac. The Matre D told me to let my waitstaff know the first night and while it was noted on my reservation, no one else seemed to know about it. The last cruise I was on (Dec 2009), I just waited and talked to my wait staff the first night.

In the Windjammer, I just make choices which I know without a doubt are gluten free--salad, etc.

• 4 months later...
I contacted the special needs dept, as well as talking to the Matre D' on the first two cruises after being diagnosed with Celiac. The Matre D told me to let my waitstaff know the first night and while it was noted on my reservation, no one else seemed to know about it. The last cruise I was on (Dec 2009), I just waited and talked to my wait staff the first night.

In the Windjammer, I just make choices which I know without a doubt are gluten free--salad, etc.

Thank you for your input. :) What about breakfast? Did you eat breakfast in the Windjammer? If so, what gluten free options are there? Did you need to take your own salad dressings or where there dressings that were suitable. Surely they would be able to make up a olive oil/vinegar dressing?

Thank you for your input. :) What about breakfast? Did you eat breakfast in the Windjammer? If so, what gluten free options are there? Did you need to take your own salad dressings or where there dressings that were suitable. Surely they would be able to make up a olive oil/vinegar dressing?

I know packerfan#1 (Hi Mom!), and she doesn't eat breakfast except a yogurt. My partner is also GF. We will be on the Majesty in 10 days. If you email me (scoman@comcast.net) i can make sure to email you a report of what was available, as well as find out any other questions you may have about GF diet on board.

Gidday fellow Melbournian :)

On one of our expeditions last year, one of our friends sailing with us had a problem with Windjammer fish/salads having dressings.

When she recognised that she may have trouble, all she had to do was ask the Windjammer "Head Waiter" for what what she wanted. It was not possibe to provide tuna the way she needed it immediately, but every day after, her request was awaiting collection in WJ.

Enjoy :D

I thought that RC went over and beyond to satisfy.. .

I have severe allergy to certain herbs. On the first night you have to talk to your waiter and that night s/he pretty much takes responsibility for getting things for you. Then you are assigned one person that comes to see you every night with the next night's menu. You can order whatever you like and it is prepared without the ingredient that you are allergic to. I always play it safe and stay away from sauces or anything complicated. I was also able to order lunch as long as I came to the dining room that was serving lunch instead of going to the windjammer. I guess I could have done the same for breakfast, but that part for me is pretty safe so I just went to the windjammer to eat.

Although they do a very good job and they usually get it right, there is always someone that will not pay attention. It has happened to me before. So it's up to you to always be alert to make sure they're doing things right. :rolleyes:

One of our tablemates on a cruise was on a GF diet. We all felt it was a special treat to get a glimpse at the upcoming menu, although I'm sure our tablemate would have easily foregone this to not have to eat GF. She allowed us to taste some of the GF bread and other items. Some were just ok while others were tasty. She commented that she received the attention needed to ensure her dietary needs were well met. I think RCL will be good to help, but I noticed that our tablemate was good to ask even though her needs were made clear. The waitstaff has a lot going on during meal times, and it's understandable that in the rush, things will slip their minds.

I too, have celiac disease. I will be taking my first RCCL cruise in August, but when I went on Celebrity, they treated me very well, almost exactly the way the above posts describe the RCCL situation and the food was great.

Don't be shy about asking for something that is not on the menu for a certain night, either. I was not shy and my waiter on Celebrity brought me creme brulee every night as long as I asked for it the previous night. What a treat! Who needs tiramisu?

Just be sure to tip your waiter and headwaiter extra as this truly is extra work for them.

Also, you can expect cross contamination to be rampant in the Windjammer, just because the food is exposed to so many potential contamination events (passengers accidently touching servings spoons to their toast then putting it back in the fruit salad for example), but I understand you can ask for a serving from the back if your daughter is that sensitive (like I am).

Just remember the saying about attracting more flies with honey* than vinegar and I'm betting she has a wonderful, tummy trouble-free time!

Ooh, one more thing, take GF ice cream cones with you for the soft serve!

*Yeah, but who wants to attract flies, right?

Thanks to all of you who took time to post replies for the OP. I too will need a GF diet on my upcoming cruise in September. It will be my first cruise since needing the special diet.

Although my need for the diet is not life-threatening, I will definitely enjoy my week 100% more by adhearing to the diet!! So, thank you for taking some of the anxiety about this out of my planning!!

:) I appreciate all of your input!:D

DW has Celiac. On our first few cruises we let them know and they bent over backwards to make sure she was taken care of. At the end of every meal the waiter would come with the next night's menu and let her know what was OK as is and what they could modify for her. Now that she is familiar with the menu, she knows what to order. Sometimes she asks them to make GF bread, but she says it's really not all that good.

I've been provisionally diagnosed as wheat-intolerant (still having the fun test :rolleyes:), however my favourite breakfast on past cruises was bagels with the smoked salmon & cream cheese. Does anyone know if I take my own wheat-free rolls to the WJ at breakfast would they let them be toasted in their machine?

I've been provisionally diagnosed as wheat-intolerant (still having the fun test :rolleyes:), however my favourite breakfast on past cruises was bagels with the smoked salmon & cream cheese. Does anyone know if I take my own wheat-free rolls to the WJ at breakfast would they let them be toasted in their machine?

Unless you have the "toaster" bags that you can buy in certain places, you would not want to toast your gf rolls in their as the toaster will be contaminated. I have the toaster bags, they work great. They are just a small heat resistant bag that I put my gf bread or whatever in and they can be popped in the toaster to ensure you are staying gluten free.I believe my sister bought them at a whole foods. I generally just have hard boiled eggs, yogurt and fruit for breakfast so I know I am safe.

I also bring my own small packets of fat free salad dressings so I don't have to worry about the dressings not being gluten free. With a little planning, I have never had any trouble on the cruise.

I know packerfan#1 (Hi Mom!), and she doesn't eat breakfast except a yogurt. My partner is also GF. We will be on the Majesty in 10 days. If you email me (scoman@comcast.net) i can make sure to email you a report of what was available, as well as find out any other questions you may have about GF diet on board.

Thank you. Please don't go to any trouble but I will email you and maybe when you get back you can give me a bit of an idea of what was available. Appreciate it:)

Gidday fellow Melbournian :)

On one of our expeditions last year, one of our friends sailing with us had a problem with Windjammer fish/salads having dressings.

When she recognised that she may have trouble, all she had to do was ask the Windjammer "Head Waiter" for what what she wanted. It was not possibe to provide tuna the way she needed it immediately, but every day after, her request was awaiting collection in WJ.

Enjoy :D

I thought that RC went over and beyond to satisfy.. .

Thanks Kev:) Great to hear of your friends positive gluten free experience.

I have severe allergy to certain herbs. On the first night you have to talk to your waiter and that night s/he pretty much takes responsibility for getting things for you. Then you are assigned one person that comes to see you every night with the next night's menu. You can order whatever you like and it is prepared without the ingredient that you are allergic to. I always play it safe and stay away from sauces or anything complicated. I was also able to order lunch as long as I came to the dining room that was serving lunch instead of going to the windjammer. I guess I could have done the same for breakfast, but that part for me is pretty safe so I just went to the windjammer to eat.

Although they do a very good job and they usually get it right, there is always someone that will not pay attention. It has happened to me before. So it's up to you to always be alert to make sure they're doing things right. :rolleyes:

Thank you. I agree with you - you do have to be alert as you can't expect that everyone working there will be paying attention.

I too, have celiac disease. I will be taking my first RCCL cruise in August, but when I went on Celebrity, they treated me very well, almost exactly the way the above posts describe the RCCL situation and the food was great.

Don't be shy about asking for something that is not on the menu for a certain night, either. I was not shy and my waiter on Celebrity brought me creme brulee every night as long as I asked for it the previous night. What a treat! Who needs tiramisu?

Just be sure to tip your waiter and headwaiter extra as this truly is extra work for them.

Also, you can expect cross contamination to be rampant in the Windjammer, just because the food is exposed to so many potential contamination events (passengers accidently touching servings spoons to their toast then putting it back in the fruit salad for example), but I understand you can ask for a serving from the back if your daughter is that sensitive (like I am).

Just remember the saying about attracting more flies with honey* than vinegar and I'm betting she has a wonderful, tummy trouble-free time!

Ooh, one more thing, take GF ice cream cones with you for the soft serve!

*Yeah, but who wants to attract flies, right?

Creme brulee sounds good:) You do have to speak up at times and I am trying to each my daughter (who is 13) that she needs to speak up and ask for things. As far as cross contamination goes, she is not that sensitive but we are careful about obvious contamination issues. We are careful without being extreme. Not sure if the GF ice cream cones would survive the 24 hour plane trip! As we will be in Italy for much of the cruise we plan to go the first pharmacy (where they sell GF goods) and stock up on gluten free goodies. Even though we have a really good range here in Australia, Italy has an even better selection of goodies some of which you can't get here.

I agree with you - who wants to attract flies!! One of the many strange sayings in our english language.:)

DW has Celiac. On our first few cruises we let them know and they bent over backwards to make sure she was taken care of. At the end of every meal the waiter would come with the next night's menu and let her know what was OK as is and what they could modify for her. Now that she is familiar with the menu, she knows what to order. Sometimes she asks them to make GF bread, but she says it's really not all that good.

Thank you. Sounds like she was well looked after. My daughter doesn't expect the GF bread to be good but any bread would be appreciated regardless. I think she will enjoy getting the menu the day before and getting to choose what she will like.

Unless you have the "toaster" bags that you can buy in certain places, you would not want to toast your gf rolls in their as the toaster will be contaminated. I have the toaster bags, they work great. They are just a small heat resistant bag that I put my gf bread or whatever in and they can be popped in the toaster to ensure you are staying gluten free.I believe my sister bought them at a whole foods. I generally just have hard boiled eggs, yogurt and fruit for breakfast so I know I am safe.

I also bring my own small packets of fat free salad dressings so I don't have to worry about the dressings not being gluten free. With a little planning, I have never had any trouble on the cruise.

Thanks for the reminder about the toaster bags. We have some but I always seem to forget them. They might come in very handy.

Archived