Notify Traditional Wait Staff when not coming to dinner??

teachergal29

a) Some people only want to eat in the dining room on formal nights.

b) Some people only want to eat in the dining room on smart casual nights.

c) Some people are not aware of option when they sign up for a cruise and are assigned to traditional by their travel agents.

As for being by yourself, when we have had no shows for the first two nights, we request to be assigned to another table.

I feel sorry for those on the traditional dining room waitlist who would eat in traditional every night. Night after night I've seen empty or half empty tables when I know there are people who would be thrilled to have a table assignment.

Princess needs to do a better job of explaining the differences and procedures for the dining rooms.

a) Some people only want to eat in the dining room on formal nights.

b) Some people only want to eat in the dining room on smart casual nights.

c) Some people are not aware of option when they sign up for a cruise and are assigned to traditional by their travel agents.

As for being by yourself, when we have had no shows for the first two nights, we request to be assigned to another table.

Wouldn't anytime dining be a much better choice for these people that can't commit to showing up every night? As far as the travel agent throwing them in traditional I find that very strange. The TA must be pretty poor for not asking. I think it's also the responsibility to ask these questions too. I thought about asking for a new table but by the time I realized this was what they did it was too late. I do like my alone time and sometimes I just get tired of playing musical chairs. I've been dead set against open dining as I've experienced enough of it at breakfast and lunch. I'm going to try it for my Feb. cruise. I may find that I like it better although I do generally eat at the same time every day at home so I think I'm more of a traditional person. I'm sorry that you can't understand why someone would think that it's not acceptable to show up less then half the time they commited to.

We always let both our tablemates and waitstaff know when we'll be missing dinner for a night in the specialty restaurant. It's only polite. I wouldn't want them waiting around, wondering if we'll show up or not and delaying their own dinners.

I feel sorry for those on the traditional dining room waitlist who would eat in traditional every night. Night after night I've seen empty or half empty tables when I know there are people who would be thrilled to have a table assignment.

Princess needs to do a better job of explaining the differences and procedures for the dining rooms.

I agree with this 100%. There's a waiting list for traditional on almost every cruise, and many people would love those seats. On embarkation day on our last cruise, the Maitre D' wouldn't let anyone move from anytime to traditional. But every night, there were dozens of empty and half-empty tables in traditional dining. That's a shame. I think if you forfeit your traditional table for the first night or two, then you should be reassigned to anytime.

Unfortunately, a lot of times people take traditional just because a TA assigns it to them, when in actuality they'd be better off with anytime. :mad:

And then there are those on traditional dining, who decide they want to do anytime dining some nights and traditional the other nights. Dining room managers seldom look at dining status after the first night.

I have even heard a Cruise Director staff member tell folks during life boat drill to try anytime dining if they have traditional. It's totally unfair for those waitlist folks on traditional. Princess staff needs to get their stories straight.

Wouldn't anytime dining be a much better choice for these people that can't commit to showing up every night? As far as the travel agent throwing them in traditional I find that very strange. The TA must be pretty poor for not asking. I think it's also the responsibility to ask these questions too. I thought about asking for a new table but by the time I realized this was what they did it was too late. I do like my alone time and sometimes I just get tired of playing musical chairs. I've been dead set against open dining as I've experienced enough of it at breakfast and lunch. I'm going to try it for my Feb. cruise. I may find that I like it better although I do generally eat at the same time every day at home so I think I'm more of a traditional person. I'm sorry that you can't understand why someone would think that it's not acceptable to show up less then half the time they commited to.

Yes it would better if they showed up and asked for a table like it was inteneded.

It's annoying having to wait for tablemates. I know the waiters like the convenience of taking your orders in one hit...hence there is a stipulated time to be seated.

I for one don't like filling up on breadrolls and water....so do let your tablemates know. They can pass on the information to the waiter.

Bon Appetite...

And then there are those on traditional dining, who decide they want to do anytime dining some nights and traditional the other nights. Dining room managers seldom look at dining status after the first night.

I have even heard a Cruise Director staff member tell folks during life boat drill to try anytime dining if they have traditional. It's totally unfair for those waitlist folks on traditional. Princess staff needs to get their stories straight.

I agree that's equally wrong. If you pick traditional you should stick to that (and show up!). It's a me me world for some people.

When we knew in advance we have told our waiter, we generally have a table for 2 anyway.

Last year, while on the Equniox, after about 6 nights, we were simply tired of the slow service and noise level in the MDR. So we simply stopped going to the MDR. We did run into our waiter one day in port. He asked why we were no longer coming and we told him.

Did not feel any need to call and tell them. On Traditional dining if you are not there by a particular time they realize you are not coming.

If we were sharing a table with others we would let them know.

When we knew in advance we have told our waiter, we generally have a table for 2 anyway.

Last year, while on the Equniox, after about 6 nights, we were simply tired of the slow service and noise level in the MDR. So we simply stopped going to the MDR. We did run into our waiter one day in port. He asked why we were no longer coming and we told him.

Did not feel any need to call and tell them. On Traditional dining if you are not there by a particular time they realize you are not coming.

If we were sharing a table with others we would let them know.

But there may have been someone that wanted that diningtime and they could have been accomodated if they Head waiter knew the table was now vacant.

Archived