A hotel that inss't gonna cost me an arm and a leg, but is safe

MyMotivation

Hubby and I will be flying into Miami the day before the cruise and are going to need a hotel. We really don't want to pay much but I am concerned about safety, I have never been to Miami and do not know what to expect. I need a place that has shuttle service to the port. I don't care about restaurants or pools, just a nice place to sleep for the night and shower.

Hubby and I will be flying into Miami the day before the cruise and are going to need a hotel. We really don't want to pay much but I am concerned about safety, I have never been to Miami and do not know what to expect. I need a place that has shuttle service to the port. I don't care about restaurants or pools, just a nice place to sleep for the night and shower.

We need some information if we are going to help you.

When will you be in Miami? Peak season runs from October through April. Miami hotels are expensive. Cheap motels in Miami usually rent by the hour.

What is your budget? We aren't sure what you pay for an arm and a leg.

On priceline or hotwire you can get a decent hotel in season for about $125 a night. Off season a little less.

Whatever you do, do not pick a Miami hotel for the cruise shuttle.

A cab to POM will only cost $25, even if you are out near the airport. Don't choose a hotel based upon "free" shuttle service.

When does your flight arrive? If you arrive late and just want a clean, safe bed look at hotels near MIA in the Blue Lagoon area. If you arrive earlier you may want to exploer either Miami Beach or downtown Miami.

Good luck!:)

Many of the airport hotels offer free shuttles. I've stayed at homewood inn & suites, and la quinta, both were clean and decent, and inexpensive by miami standards. I have a reservation at Best Western on the Bay for march, I have not stayed there yet but from the reviews it is decent - older and apparently more of a "motel" than a hotel. But this place is inexpensive as well and offers an airport shuttle, with limited hours.

The last time I cruised from Miami in January 09, I bid $80.00 for a 4 star downtown Miami on Priceline, and got the Hilton downtown. The total cost was around $110.00 with all the taxes added in.

There was no shuttle, but the taxi from the airport to the hotel was $25. including tip, and the taxi to the port was around $12.00.

If you decide to bid on priceline and end up with the Hilton, it's right across the street from a Doubltree. The Doubletree has a little mall on the first floor with restaurants and a deli for morning coffee and such.

You could also consider Coconut Grove area, because there is shopping and restaurants there. There is a Hampton Inn in Coconut grove and a Courtyard Marriot. If you check out the prices, you may find a deal, depending on the dates you need.

If you do decide to use priceline, I strongly suggest bidding only 4 star or higher for Miami.

Going home, we booked directly with Embassy suites at the Airport for $125.The hotel was nice, but there was nothing around it, and it was not a walking area. Without a car we were stuck there

For our cruise at the end of April, we won a room at the Mariott Biscayne Bay (Downtown Miami, 3.5*) for only $55 plus taxes. The ratings at this hotel are wonderful!!

I've read that a cab to the port the next day will run about $12 plus tip. Not sure the exact amount from the airport, but my best guess is less than $25.

I can't wait!!

Miami in Mid Oct, flying in the day before, not going to be looking around Miami at all, by the time we wake up and get ready it'll be time to get to port. Most likely going to be getting into Miami in the late evening, maybe after 10.

Hoping and praying to pay under $100, since we are only staying a few hours. LOLz, I don't want a pay by the hour hotel. Unless it's a nice one, where I am from they usually aren't.

Sounds like a perfect candidate for priceline to me!!

Me, too. You can learn the ins and outs of Priceline bidding at www.biddingfortravel.com. Additionally, the airport may be a good bet for the OP. Free transport to the hotel (which are ususally $50 -75 on Priceline) and then a cab to the port the following day would save on cab fares.

Archived