Tallinn-if you've lunched @Olde Hansa or ?

TMLAalum

For those of you who have had a meal there at lunchtime, I have a few questions that I hope you can answer!

Re: Olde Hansa

Did you order a "feast" or off the menu?

If feast, did you pre-order from home?

If lunch, what were the offerings?

How was the service?

How much time could we expect to spend there?

Is is worth taking the time from our 9 hours in port?

Re: ?

What other restaurants would you suggest and why?

I realize that Europeans enjoy their meals at a more leisurely pace than most Americans so I am figuring at least 90 minutes. And actually, after a walking tour, I would relish taking some time for an unusual meal in a unique setting.

Thanks!

We had lunch at the Peppersack in 08 and absolutely loved it. I had some kind of chicken dish with mushroom and it was fantastic. Beer was really good also. Lunch took about 90 min. As I recall at the one entrance is a money exchange station. I absolutely loved Tallin. Also visit the sweater wall and the flower market.

Roseanna

For those of you who have had a meal there at lunchtime, I have a few questions that I hope you can answer!

How was the service?

Re: ? What other restaurants would you suggest and why?

I realize that Europeans enjoy their meals at a more leisurely pace than most Americans so I am figuring at least 90 minutes. And actually, after a walking tour, I would relish taking some time for an unusual meal in a unique setting. Thanks!

There are lots of nice places to eat, especially on the main square there in Tallinn. We ate at the House Cafe outside on the square. This allowed us to do lots of people watching, plus seeing the music festival that was going on that Saturday when we visited. Be flexible. Don't feel that you need to lock in now on just place to eat. Look at their menus that are posted outside. Apply the eyeball test! If it looks too, too touristy and the people sitting there (or the staff) are bored and uninterested, then that place probably should be avoided. If it looks like there are locals there and/or they are enjoying it, then it will probably be very good. Or maybe even better! Ask some people what they are eating and how they like it. We had a very nice lunch there on the main square. Below are some visuals from what we enjoyed there in this super charming city.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Outdoor lunch on Tallinn’s main square:

1A-TallinOutdoorLunch.jpg

At lunch, enjoying Tallinn’s local beer:

1A-TallinLocalBeer.jpg

Dancing on the main square in Tallinn as the festival happens:

1A-Tallinn-CityHallDancing.jpg

At a linen shop, she is folding their wonderful products:

1A-TallinShopkeeperLinens.jpg

Tallinn street vendor with various woolen items:

1A-Tallinn-MarketShopping.jpg

Tallinn festival parade in old historic area:

1A-Tallinn-Parade.jpg

How was the service?

We ate the Olde Hanse, did not have a reservation and loved the place. The weather was very nice, warm and sunny, so we ate outside. But you have to go inside for a look no matter what, especially if you like to dine by candle light. Even if you decide to not eat there.

The food was casual, we ordered off the menu with the help of the waitress, who spoke perfect English. And the lunch took maybe 45 minutes or so, just enough for a nice break of all the walking and stroling. BTW in the walking tour I mentioned that you could make reservations on line. But, to be sure, that is not necessary. For some details have a look at the following: http://www.*****.com/Estonia.html

b401.jpg

We also ate at Olde Hansa and did not have reservations.

It was enjoyable and we ate outside- don't eat inside unless you have bad weather.

You need to eat somewhere along the way and really anywhere on the square would work.

I tried one of the sampler plates and my student love to hear about me eating pickeld tongue and surprizingly my wife liked the honey beer.

JKW

I tried one of the sampler plates and my student love to hear about me eating pickeld tongue and surprizingly my wife liked the honey beer.

JKW

From your post and LairBear's (haven't figured out how to quote more than one post in a reply)+ his photo of his meal, it seems like some of Olde Hansa's more exotic offerings are available without selecting a feast, is that correct?

There will be 8 of us- will it be difficult to be seated inside or out without a reservation?

I appreciate Terry & Roseanna's replies as well- I know that Rick Steve's endorses Peppersack.

Barb

Forget what it was called but I think what I had was a sampler dish- included 5-6 items. and my wife got the mushroom soup.

We decided not to get any of the really big dishes but yes they had many items available.

If you go to either their site or check out the walking tour thats been posted- we used that as our base for wandering(getting happily lost along the way- helps to see different sights). Both give you a pretty good idea whats available.

If you eat outside beware the darkness inside when you head to the bathroom!

JKW

We also ordered the sampler platter and mushroom soup mentioned by the previous poster. My husband also ordered some traditional "wild" meats as well as local beers. (I think there was boar, venison and some other more unusual meats but I can't recall exactly.) Be sure to visit the bathrooms! A highlight of the trip for our then 4 year old dd. We ate indoors and I think were the only ones eating at the time. There was a huge Princess ship in port at the same time and there would have been plenty of room for a party of 8 without a reservation.

Thanks for all the specific info everyone's provided on what is available at lunchtime.

Because of the variety of the menu and the ambience of Olde Hansa, we will definitely have lunch there, but do so ala carte. Olde Hansa's website confused me because when I clicked on the "menu" option, all I could see were the Feasts!

Through out the day we found that all the younger folks loved to talk to us. Their English is good and they want to find out more where you are from, etc. Not to push what they may have to sell, but just to be friendly.

At the restaurant you will find young people touting up the restaurant, but they also loved to stop and chat with you.

When I mentioned that we had seen the movie 'The Singing Revolution', they were all smiles and wanted to know what I thought of it.

This picture shows the outdoor dining area for Olde Hansa.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Dancers marching and others as a part of this Tallinn’s festival parade on the Saturday when we visited Estonia:

1A-TallinParadeWh.jpg

We stopped in Olde Hansa , but there was waiting room only, both inside and out, so we passed it by. People who were eating there sure looked like they were having a grand old time.

Another picture of Olde Hansa

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster591.jpg

A picture of another fine eatery, The Peppersack

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe594.jpg

And here is a short video of Olde Hansa, Peppersack and the entire surrounding square. As you can see, it is very busy and pretty congested.

http://s834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/?action=view&current=europemaster638.flv

We stopped in Olde Hansa , but there was waiting room only, both inside and out, so we passed it by. People who were eating there sure looked like they were having a grand old time.

Thanks for the fotos and video. Based on your info I will make reservations- can't hurt. We're there 6/18 and I'll request outdoors as first choice with the option of indoors if the weather is crummy.

Just a note about making reservations at the Odle Hansa.You will comfortable to know that everything worked like it was suppose to. We made our reservation online about 2-3 months before our cruise in July.When we checked in they have our reservation and everything was just as I requested.Everything was great as was Tallinn.Best port in the Baltic.

Thanks for the fotos and video. Based on your info I will make reservations- can't hurt. We're there 6/18 and I'll request outdoors as first choice with the option of indoors if the weather is crummy.

Thanks TMLAalum. To us, I guess, tallin was what we Americans pictured 'older' Europe to be like. Just a fun town, with so mnay great things to see and do. Have fun there

Cheers

Len

I had lunch at Olde Hansa in 2007 and loved it: Wild boar platter, mushroom soup, and strong beer with herbs. Portions were large. Prices were quite reasonable at the time compared to other nordic places. Maybe it's changed, but that restaurant only accepted Estonian "kroons" and credit cards. No euros.

My user name reflects my high school alma mater in Jamaica Estates- I grew up in Little Neck and met DH when he was at the USMMA in Kings Pt.

Private school??

I thought I knew most of the schools in Queens. In fact I umpire baseball for most of them. Just can't figure out which one is yours.

Cheers

Len

How was the service?

Re: ?

What other restaurants would you suggest and why?

I realize that Europeans enjoy their meals at a more leisurely pace than most Americans so I am figuring at least 90 minutes. And actually, after a walking tour, I would relish taking some time for an unusual meal in a unique setting.

Thanks!

We were there 7/09 and agree with post 2 Cruzky - we ate at the Peppersack Restaurant and it was delicious. We sat outside and could watch all the people going by and all the activities. Old Hansa food looked a little too heavy for us - but it is popular. If you can't get in, do try Peppersack. Would definitely eat there again if we ever get back to Tallin.

• 1 month later...

Lair Bear ~ Once again THANK YOU! We just watch "The Singing Revolution" - what a fabulous Documentary!!! My Historian husband really enjoyed it - now he wants to spend the whole vacation in Estonia! (Only half kidding!) And thanks also for your photos of the Baltic - we never knew about the Fortress (I won't try the name!) in Helsinki - thought it'd be a "throw-away" port. Now John's anxious to see the u-boat-like sub along with the fortress and Russian guns! From your photos it looked like there would be time to also visit the Old Market and Rock Church - we'll try it - if we don't have the time it gives us a reason to re-visit!

Also you gave us the lead to Zaanse Schans. We'll be in Amsterdam 3 days post-cruise and this looks like a perfect day trip - thanks loads!!

Interestingly - You were in the Baltic in 2008 on your cruise. We were in Sweden on a family land trip from July 11th to 20th, 2008! We were in Stockholm at least three days, one of which was July 14th - the Crown Princess Victoria's birthday. Small world!!!

Thanks again for all your help!

I am glad you enjoyed looking at what I put together as a trip remembrance of the Baltic (and other great places around the world). I like to put these pages together in order to share our experiences with family and friends. I think it is better this way than 'scrab books', or what ever they are now called.

Wasn't that a marvelous film about Estonia? I think everyone who goes to Tallinn should try to see this movie, if at all possible. It gives a great ourlook of the people and how they interact with the Russians and the hardships they endured for so many years.

One suggestion:

In Helsinki, if you take the ferry to Soumenlinna Fortress, stop at the visitor's center, pick up a pamphlet and map, but don't bother with the 'guided English tour'. We had a young man who 'knew too much', if you know what I mean. We only got to see a fraction of the island. It would be just fun to explore on your own while reading a bit about its history.

Let us know how your trip went when you get back in July.

Bon voyage.

Lair Bear ~ Thanks for your response. And for the tip about the fortress! Sometimes guides can just explode with too much info! We usually do tend to see things on our own - and we will pick up the pamphlet & map.

While John specializes in the American Civil War, he also has a great interest in European History. We really hadn't gotten to researching Helsinki when I found your photos. I don’t know if we would have found out about the fortress on our own and John is very interested in it – he’ll probably do some research before we go! And the submarine he said is a U-boat type (beats me!) so that also interested him!

We have four kids and all through the years when we’d go to National Parks, Battlefields, etc. we’ll always tease that we’d “turn Dad on” let him talk about the place for awhile and then “turn him off”!! Actually we’ve been spoiled for a long time! During this past summer, our oldest son was at Gettysburg with a friend and spent half the day calling John with questions!

But thanks – this is right up his alley and I’m sure I’ll find many opportunities for photos! And I promise I’ll report back to you after we get home!

Archived