Tallinn-if you've lunched @Olde Hansa or ?

TMLAalum

We have four kids and all through the years when we’d go to National Parks, Battlefields, etc. we’ll always tease that we’d “turn Dad on” let him talk about the place for awhile and then “turn him off”!! Actually we’ve been spoiled for a long time! During this past summer, our oldest son was at Gettysburg with a friend and spent half the day calling John with questions!

Sounds like you must be married to a professor too! My dh is an art professor and I have spent more than 20 years hearing his lectures. He just can't help himself. He's passionate about art, has a great knowledge of the subject and is a natural born teacher. I remember once at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York I turned around and found more than 30 people listening to what he was saying. They actually followed us from one painting to the next. I saw a guard in the corner and expected him to "break it up." Instead he leaned in to listen and followed along with the crowd as we moved to the next painting. When traveling I leave it to dh to do the historical research and then let him "explain" it to me. This way we can both enjoy.

My dd just turned 5 and also has the lecturing bug. It is very cute to hear her explain as she paces back and forth pointing and gesturing. We'll see when she gets older if she calls with questions. I'm guessing she'll be more likely to be calling with "corrections" :).

I'm sure you'll have a great trip. It is really an amazing region!

I am glad you enjoyed looking at what I put together as a trip remembrance of the Baltic (and other great places around the world). I like to put these pages together in order to share our experiences with family and friends. I think it is better this way than 'scrab books', or what ever they are now called.

Wasn't that a marvelous film about Estonia? I think everyone who goes to Tallinn should try to see this movie, if at all possible. It gives a great ourlook of the people and how they interact with the Russians and the hardships they endured for so many years.

One suggestion:

In Helsinki, if you take the ferry to Soumenlinna Fortress, stop at the visitor's center, pick up a pamphlet and map, but don't bother with the 'guided English tour'. We had a young man who 'knew too much', if you know what I mean. We only got to see a fraction of the island. It would be just fun to explore on your own while reading a bit about its history.

Let us know how your trip went when you get back in July.

Bon voyage.

Lair Bear,

The Suomenlinna fortress has been on my list to see while in Helsinki this June. What do you think is the minimum amount of time to allow to enjoy the fortress w/o guide? I just can't get a feel for how much time to allow. I have the ferry schedule, so I know about the transportation part, but not how much time to allow for the island itself.

What about the submarine?

Thanks-I sure have enjoyed the pix of your trip.

Lair Bear,

The Suomenlinna fortress has been on my list to see while in Helsinki this June. What do you think is the minimum amount of time to allow to enjoy the fortress w/o guide? I just can't get a feel for how much time to allow. I have the ferry schedule, so I know about the transportation part, but not how much time to allow for the island itself.

What about the submarine?

Thanks-I sure have enjoyed the pix of your trip.

The fortress encompasses a large area with at least two islands. As I mentioned, we had a very knowledgeable guide but he took too long at several spots to explain a lot of details that became a bit boring after a while. As a result we were rude and actually left the group of about fifteen people. We had covered only a quarter of the suggested walk and never got to the submarine and the more scenic spots near the tip.

The map they provide is good and shows the suggested walking route with lots of details.

The history of the fortress is fascinating and worth a little study before hand. Just like Estonia and Poland, Finland has been in the middle of various wars and battles between the Swedes and Russians (not to mention the Germans).

I think I could have spent at least three hours there, but we wanted to see more of Helsinki also. If I remember correctly we were there for only about two or two and half hours. The ferry ride is also nice on a clear day.

Thanks for the nice pictures, Ultima Thule, I remember the spot with the huge canon and the little lake that was pretty, but so out of place. This must be a great place for the Finnish people to visit and study your history.

Perhaps this map may help. It is part of the brochure you can pick up at the visitor's center. We arrived by ferry from the Market Place in Helsinki. It is about a fifteen minute trip to the north quay. We just took the first ferry we could and were not aware that there is another one that goes directly to the visitor's center and the King's quay at the southern tip.

It was easy to find the information and museum part. The main trail is the blue line and I stand corrected we actually went further than I thought. But we did not go to the southern tip. The submarine is at 5 along the eastern edge of Susasaari. The little lake I referred to is at 10. And the picture by our Finnish friend was probably taken near 27. There is a nice beach at 28 and a lot of kids were playing in the cold water at this alcove. Be sure to also stop at 30 where there is a huge drydock and an observation platform.

helsinki%20map.jpg

Thanks for the map. It really puts things in perspective. It looks like the submarine is slightly off the main route. We plan to purchase the 24 hr transportation pass from the bus 16 driver near our pier. This includes the HKL ferry to the main pier on Suomenlinna, so we probably won't use the waterbus that goes directly to visitor's center or King's gate.

Thanks for your help.

It's funny,. we went to the Fortress but did not find it that interesting at all. I don't think we spent more than an hour there and really couldn't wait to get back to Helsinki proper and to things we more enjoyed. Now, I am definitely not saying it isn't fine for some that have interest in such things, but for us, it just wasn't what we were looking for.

As Lair Bear has said the ferry ride is nice and you get to see Helsinki from a different prospective.

Cheers

Len

sbhdmh ~ no John isn't a professor, an Historian who often gives talks about the Civil War or Genealogy. But I do relate to your story - I've often noticed people following us around hitorical sites and leaning in to listen!

Ultima Thule ~ your photos are wonderful - especially inside the submarine! It's our list to see!

Lair Bear ~ the map is perfect - its also on the Fortress site - John had found it but I hadn't so, once again, Thank You! I also found a photo of the Fortress taken from a ferry - looks high up from the water - this is becoming one of the main attractions of the trip!

floridafolks ~ what harbor are you docking at? We're scheduled to dock at the West Harbor and one Helsinki site mentions bus 15/15A but I can't find much information about them. Do you know the route of Bus 16? We'd like to have a few options since we don't know if Constellation will have a shuttle bus and if they do the details.

Giantfan13/Len ~ I completely understand your feelings about the Fortress! Everyone travels differently and enjoys different things - as it should be! On my own I probably would never bother with military "things" but I have gotten to see many & learned much and enjoyed John's excitement of actually seeing things & places he's read about. Now "across the pond" he'll have the opportunity of seeing things Russian/German/Swedish/etc. - and he IS looking forward to it! (And all this from a guy who hates war!)

To TLCOhio Or anyone who might know

Terry, you have mentioned that you were in Tallinn during "the festival." Do you know if this was their "Old Town Festival?" I have done some easy research and it appears that we will be in Tallinn on the opening day of the mentioned festival (June 5) and the final day of their New Town festival. Do you know if this is the same fest which you enjoyed? If so, do you have any insight as to what we may expect in the way of parades and festivities?

Thanks

Bob

sbhdmh ~ no John isn't a professor, an Historian who often gives talks about the Civil War or Genealogy. But I do relate to your story - I've often noticed people following us around hitorical sites and leaning in to listen!

Ultima Thule ~ your photos are wonderful - especially inside the submarine! It's our list to see!

Lair Bear ~ the map is perfect - its also on the Fortress site - John had found it but I hadn't so, once again, Thank You! I also found a photo of the Fortress taken from a ferry - looks high up from the water - this is becoming one of the main attractions of the trip!

floridafolks ~ what harbor are you docking at? We're scheduled to dock at the West Harbor and one Helsinki site mentions bus 15/15A but I can't find much information about them. Do you know the route of Bus 16? We'd like to have a few options since we don't know if Constellation will have a shuttle bus and if they do the details.

Giantfan13/Len ~ I completely understand your feelings about the Fortress! Everyone travels differently and enjoys different things - as it should be! On my own I probably would never bother with military "things" but I have gotten to see many & learned much and enjoyed John's excitement of actually seeing things & places he's read about. Now "across the pond" he'll have the opportunity of seeing things Russian/German/Swedish/etc. - and he IS looking forward to it! (And all this from a guy who hates war!)

It is very important to know what pier you are docking at in Helsinki. We are scheduled at LHC West Harbour so that is why we take Bus 16 which we will take to Market Square. (We can get the ferry to Suomenlinna from there.) We also plan to use tram 3t and 3b to get to places, so the 24 hr tourist ticket works for us and it can be bought on the bus from the driver for 6.8E. I would suggest reading the thread on this site re 24 HKL transportation pass where I asked for information. Ultima Thule gave a very detailed description including google shots of where to catch the bus.

I then went on the HKL website and did a journey planner to map the exact route the bus takes.

If you find you are docking at LHC, I would be glad to share more detailed info. If you are NOT docking at LHC, I would suggest asking Ultima Thule for info on the bus from your pier.

I do not know how I would get organized w/o all the help I am gettng on CC.

Peg-- Here is the site to find where you dock in Helsinki

http://www.portofhelsinki.fi/default.asp?docId=13051

If you are docking in Helsinki on July 8 on the Constellation then you should be at LHC.( I saw you were on the July 3 sailing so I thought this might be your Helsinki date.) Look at the thread "Helsinki HKL 1 Day Tourist Ticket" for Ultima Thule's description on the Baltic thread.

Hope this helps,

mleinda

floridafolks ~ Thanks SO much for all your help! I knew we docked in Helsinki at the West Harbor but didn't realize there are different parts! I also found us at LHC terminal Hernesaari. Thanks for your help and suggestions!

To TLCOhio Or anyone who might know. Terry, you have mentioned that you were in Tallinn during "the festival." Do you know if this was their "Old Town Festival?" I have done some easy research and it appears that we will be in Tallinn on the opening day of the mentioned festival (June 5) and the final day of their New Town festival. Do you know if this is the same fest which you enjoyed? If so, do you have any insight as to what we may expect in the way of parades and festivities? Thanks. Bob

Hi, Bob! It was Saturday, August 2, 2008, when we were there in Tallinn, Estonia. There was a nice "folk" parade, plus a music festival in the main square in front of their Town Hall, etc. Lots of dancing, activities, etc., on a super great weather day.

In doing a Google search and checking this site:

http://www.tourism.tallinn.ee

it was probably what they call their "Catalonian Folk Festival".

Below are some visual highlights for what we saw at this event that maybe you and others have not seen of these pictures from our trip. THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Dancers marching in Tallinn’s festival parade:

1A-Tallinn-DancersMarch.jpg

In front of Tallinn’s City Hall, they are dancing:

1A-Tallinn-CityHallDancing.jpg

Parade in old city on a festival Saturday with famed dining place in the background:

1A-TallinParadeWh.jpg

Tallinn festival parade in old historic area:

1A-Tallinn-Parade.jpg

Archived