Need some help, going to miss San Juan embarkation.

neurosurg

i would be on line trying to book a room in San Juan for a day or 2 and a flight to Tortola before everything gets booked up!

hopefully there is a bar with wireless internet???

when will you be able to get out?? ( if it's going to be many hours i would head to the bar in the marriott--they have wireless there...probably not free! but that's just me!)

good luck and keep us posted.....that storm is really messing with the south!

Thanks for the support everyone. Not the ideal way to start my first cruise.

At least we are now boarding a plane (for the third time!).

And thankfully will be eating dinner in San Juan. Thanks for the phone numbers and I'll be calling when I land.

Just force USAir to rebook you on a flight straight to Tortola or St. Thomas, it might to be absolutely useless to go to San Juan if the ship has left anyway. I worked for a European airline for 11 years, and we used to have this problem to Miami sometimes. Because we also flew to places like San Juan, Barbados, Tobago, Aruba, etc. the problem was often very swiftly solved. Inform them that you are going to claim the loss of a whole holiday, that might win them over, as this solution is much cheaper for them.

Remember: you can be firm, but try to stay polite! Good luck....

Just force USAir to rebook you on a flight straight to Tortola or St. Thomas, it might to be absolutely useless to go to San Juan if the ship has left anyway. I worked for a European airline for 11 years, and we used to have this problem to Miami sometimes. Because we also flew to places like San Juan, Barbados, Tobago, Aruba, etc. the problem was often very swiftly solved. Inform them that you are going to claim the loss of a whole holiday, that might win them over, as this solution is much cheaper for them.

Remember: you can be firm, but try to stay polite! Good luck....

See this advice is useless now, your post about boarding crossed mine. At least thankfully you're boarding.

Flying in the day before doesn't always help. I was sweating out a hurricane that was going to hit PR when I was flying in. It hit the day before and everyone with those flights had a heck of a time getting down there. We arrived the day of the cruise with out a hitch.

Just force USAir to rebook you on a flight straight to Tortola or St. Thomas,...

"Force" them? USAir is only obligated to get them to San Juan, their original airline destination. Hopefully, under the circumstances, they will be willing to do what they can to help them get to the next port of call, but acting "forceful" and demanding as apt to be counterproductive. You catch more flies with honey, afterall.

At least we all have agreed that no one here is ever flying on US air again.

I really do understand your frustration, but equipment malfunctions, and the associated flight delays, happen on ALL airlines, not just USAir. And I would imagine that the same weather situation that caused Charlotte flights to be rerouted to Philly have probably also interrupted service on other airlines that fly in and out of airports in that part of the country.

On a brighter note, I hope for your sake that maybe the captain will be convinced that it's worth it to hold the ship a little later, given the number of people who are delayed. (and there are probably even more people than just those on your plane, who are delayed at other airports due to the weather)

"Force" them? USAir is only obligated to get them to San Juan, their original airline destination. Hopefully, under the circumstances, they will be willing to do what they can to help them get to the next port of call, but acting "forceful" and demanding as apt to be counterproductive. You catch more flies with honey, afterall.

If you have read the whole post carefully, you would have also noticed that I wrote "be polite about it". I have been an airline employee for many years myself and what I have noticed is that a lot of collegues were not able to think "outside the box" and tended to rebook passengers to the same destination at large cost for the airline, whilst the whole purpose of flying to this destination had become useless. It happened to us recently, we were flying Munich-Zurich-Venice. The first leg was cancelled and the staff like a bunch of sheep just rebooked us on the next flight to Zurich without realising the connecting flight would be long gone. Of course, I realize that this example is totally different legally from an airlaw point of view, compared to connecting to a cruise. Sometimes passengers can come up with great ideas an airline rep has not even thought about yet. Sometimes you just have to point it out to them. And yes, although it is not their obligation to get you to another destination, I think that after boarding an aircraft in vain 3 times, they should be willing to do something for you. Especially if it is not costing them more money...

man, that airline crew is going to be hopping.... for the cocktails!

lot's of folks looking to start vacation...... i hope it works out for them.... we have never missed a sailing yet....("knock on wood") ..... that would be sooooo frustrating and stressful!

Hey everyone,

there's a large group of us on us air in Philadelphia, who were sitting on a plane for 4 hours, only then told that they need to change planes due to a "equipment issues.". And now they have to switch the crew because of the delay.

We now probably will arrive at 9pm, if they can repair the plane.

We probably have 20-30 people on the serenade. We've already called rcl to let them know, but any suggestions on how to catch up to the ship?

this is why a. I purchase trip insurance and b. always fly into the port the day before

What a helpful comment in the OPs situation.

I agree. It's like saying "I told you so" when something really bad happens. It may make you feel smart or superior but it doesn't help the current situation at all.

Sometimes there's no choice for people. My next cruise, including the air, was a gift. This is the first time ever I'm flying in the day of the cruise and I'm sure I'll be a basket case that day but hey - "don't look a gift horse...."

I agree. It's like saying "I told you so" when something really bad happens. It may make you feel smart or superior but it doesn't help the current situation at all.

Sometimes there's no choice for people. My next cruise, including the air, was a gift. This is the first time ever I'm flying in the day of the cruise and I'm sure I'll be a basket case that day but hey - "don't look a gift horse...."

Seriously, right? Geez...

Good luck OP!

Archived