Smoking in rooms at Hotel Regina Barcelona?

Spain has some loose rules about smoking in hotels and in restaurants. It is my understanding that you can request a non smoking room. I always e-mail hotels in Spain to check carefully about the smoking policy.

There ARE some small hotels that are NON-smoking.

We stayed in one last September called Onix Rambla.

Hotels in Barcelona are more likely to be non-smoking than smoking. They will certainly have non-smoking rooms which you can request.

I know for certain that Hotel Colon is completely non-smoking (bedrooms and public rooms).

Spain in fact has very strict smoking laws - they are just very complicated. Bars and restaurants above a certain size (I think it is 100 square meters) need a separate section with separate ventilation to allow smoking. Small bars and restaurants can allow smoking or not whichever they choose but it must be clearly indicated on the door which it is.

The smoking laws in Barcelona seem very lax compared to those in California where I live!!! As you say, the smaller restaurants and bars can CHOOSE to be smoking or non smoking. Most of the interesting smaller authentic ones seem to have chosen to be smoking.

Also the non smoking rooms in hotels that have them, are often near smoking rooms and they will not guarantee that you will get one of them. Since I have asthma I have to be quite careful and e-mailing the hotel for specific info has been my best defense!

The smoking laws in Barcelona seem very lax compared to those in California where I live!!! As you say, the smaller restaurants and bars can CHOOSE to be smoking or non smoking. Most of the interesting smaller authentic ones seem to have chosen to be smoking.

Also the non smoking rooms in hotels that have them, are often near smoking rooms and they will not guarantee that you will get one of them. Since I have asthma I have to be quite careful and e-mailing the hotel for specific info has been my best defense!

As I said, there are many hotels which are completely non-smoking. You need to choose one of them and you will be fine. With regard to bars & restaurants, look for the sign on the door. There are many non-smoking bars in Barcelona.

VTHokie Cruiser,

Am staying at the Regina this November for two days prior to our Transatlantic.

We chose the Regina because it gets excellent trip advisor reviews (#20 out of 581

hotels in Barcelon) and reasonably priced (w/breakfast) for a four star hotel. Pls

see link below: As the latest Trip Advisor review intimates, the Regina General Manager goes

above and beyond for guests. I have already had email communication with him

a half dozen times as he worked our special request exceeding my expectations.

Additional note, I use Trip Advisor often, Mr Sanchez the GM is one of the handful

of hotel GM's that I see respond to almost every trip advisor review (good, and not

so good). We also like the location of the Regina and I like that it is near the Ramblas, but no on top of them.

Am an exersise fiend so we also like by staying at the Regina you get a free pass to the HomePlace

fitness center, only 50 meters from the Regina's front door and the fitness center has an indoor pool.

Finally, the Regina's location is very close to Plaza Catalunya, (re: wiki) recognized as Barcelona's

city center (where Barcelona's old city and 19th Century meet. PC has many fountains,

and Statutes (and lots of Pigeons) and it is a wonderful place to jog.

The Regina only has one non smoking floor out of six. Pls also see the Gen Mgr's

reply to your post below (I copied your post and asked him to respond)

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187497-d227464-Reviews-Hotel_Regina_Barcelona-Barcelona_Catalonia.html

Thank you very much for your information, the Hotel Regina is a non smoking Hotel but we do have one smoking floor, we have too. In case our guest is preferably non smoking, we would check the room even better in order to avoid the effect of prior guests if apply.

Once again thank you and I would be pleased to answer all questions you could have.

Best regards

Jose Mª Sanchez-Harguindey

GENERAL MANAGER

Hotel Regina

Hotel Pulitzer BCN

VTHokie Cruiser,

Am staying at the Regina this November for two days prior to our Transatlantic.

We chose the Regina because it gets excellent trip advisor reviews (#20 out of 581

hotels in Barcelon) and reasonably priced (w/breakfast) for a four star hotel. Pls

see link below: As the latest Trip Advisor review intimates, the Regina General Manager goes

above and beyond for guests. I have already had email communication with him

a half dozen times as he worked our special request exceeding my expectations.

Additional note, I use Trip Advisor often, Mr Sanchez the GM is one of the handful

of hotel GM's that I see respond to almost every trip advisor review (good, and not

so good). We also like the location of the Regina and I like that it is near the Ramblas, but no on top of them.

Am an exersise fiend so we also like by staying at the Regina you get a free pass to the HomePlace

fitness center, only 50 meters from the Regina's front door and the fitness center has an indoor pool.

Finally, the Regina's location is very close to Plaza Catalunya, (re: wiki) recognized as Barcelona's

city center (where Barcelona's old city and 19th Century meet. PC has many fountains,

and Statutes (and lots of Pigeons) and it is a wonderful place to jog.

The Regina only has one non smoking floor out of six. Pls also see the Gen Mgr's

reply to your post below (I copied your post and asked him to respond)

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187497-d227464-Reviews-Hotel_Regina_Barcelona-Barcelona_Catalonia.html

Thank you very much for your information, the Hotel Regina is a non smoking Hotel but we do have one smoking floor, we have too. In case our guest is preferably non smoking, we would check the room even better in order to avoid the effect of prior guests if apply.

Once again thank you and I would be pleased to answer all questions you could have.

Best regards

Jose Mª Sanchez-Harguindey

GENERAL MANAGER

Hotel Regina

Hotel Pulitzer BCN

In your text you say the hotel has one non-smoking floor out of six. But it seems the hotel manager is saying there is one smoking floor. I would think the one smoking floor is probably correct.

Archived