Cruise ship Passenger murdered

Krazy Kruizers

This was a very sad story. My heart goes out to this young woman's family. Here you are, on a vacation of a lifetime, and something so horrible happens.

I think if Antigua is this dangerous for tourism, it might be wise for the cruise lines to consider another POC.

It may seem morbid and uncaring... and I certainly don't mean to be... but I can't help but wonder the circumstances that put the victim in that location. Was she on an excursion? (ship or private?) Was she walking with family members or some newly-found friends? Was she exploring alone? How far from others was she?

I ask these things so that I can salvage some sense of "that can't happen to me" and continue to feel safe as I travel.

I always treat every destination (even the ship) as a strange city. I am rarely without my DH while on board... and never without him ashore except for the emergency visit to the facilities.

He has traveled more than I have, and he has taught me to be wary in all places (even our hometown, at times).

A passenger from Star Clippers cruises was murdered.

Story here:

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/cruises/item.aspx?type=blog&ak=16218.blog

Yes, it happened on January 19th after a wedding for a family member on board their ship (I think it was her sister). She was a native of New Mexico and her funeral was this past Saturday in Taos, NM, her home town.

http://www.riverafuneralhome.com/sitemaker/sites/rivera0/obit.cgi?user=164747Nilssen

It was the 4th murder since July 2008 of an American tourist. BUT, the thing to remember is that if we are watchful and careful and stay together (she went off on a trail alone) this should not happen to us.

It can happen at home as well as on a vacation, just be on your watch and stay with others.

Joanie

It may seem morbid and uncaring... and I certainly don't mean to be... but I can't help but wonder the circumstances that put the victim in that location. Was she on an excursion? (ship or private?) Was she walking with family members or some newly-found friends? Was she exploring alone? How far from others was she?

I ask these things so that I can salvage some sense of "that can't happen to me" and continue to feel safe as I travel.

I always treat every destination (even the ship) as a strange city. I am rarely without my DH while on board... and never without him ashore except for the emergency visit to the facilities.

He has traveled more than I have, and he has taught me to be wary in all places (even our hometown, at times).

She went off alone along the beach area. It is something we all need to be more aware of and watchful for, no matter where we are. NEVER go by yourself!!

Joanie

Sadly, this is the reason that we have chosen to spend our vacations in the USA each year over the last 5 years. We simply want to spend our vacation dollars on American soil in semi-familiar surroundings. I even feel guilty taking a cruise to Alaska instead of booking a hotel/cabin/condo here in the US.

This is a personal opinion, but I think that if they want to live like savages, let them rot.

Sadly, this is the reason that we have chosen to spend our vacations in the USA each year over the last 5 years. We simply want to spend our vacation dollars on American soil in semi-familiar surroundings. I even feel guilty taking a cruise to Alaska instead of booking a hotel/cabin/condo here in the US.

This is a personal opinion, but I think that if they want to live like savages, let them rot.

Unfortunately, this also happens in the US---in large and small cities. I am still boycotting Aruba---because of how they handled the murder of that girl some years back!!

Even more sadly however, is that similar tragic events have happened and will happen in most areas (read big cities) in the good ol' USA:cool:

Unfortunately, this also happens in the US---in large and small cities. I am still boycotting Aruba---because of how they handled the murder of that girl some years back!!

I remember that story too!! The girl could not be found for the longest time. That was shocking story too!! :confused: I never heard what happend after that.

Since when did Alaska secede from the Union? Last I heard Alaska was still in the U.S. & her former Governor ran for President of the United States..

Since when is American soil any safer than other countries soil? Today a 60 yr old Man was Murdered on our interstate, when a speeding car with two gun toting maniacs in it, hit his motorcycle..This Murder happened on American Soil..

What a horrible & sad thing to happen to anyone..Our thoughts & Prayers go out to her family & friends..

I remember that story too!! The girl could not be found for the longest time. That was shocking story too!! :confused: I never heard what happend after that.

The body of the victim in that case, Natalee Holloway, has never been located.

The body of the victim in that case, Natalee Holloway, has never been located.

The family must hurt everday........not ever knowing. I think would be the hardest. Had police/anyone looking found her there could have been some closure.

Thanks, Serendipity - I, too, was wondering when Alaska left our Union of 50 States...??? :confused: We've cruised there on 3 separate occasions and find that those good folks up North sure feel as if they're part of the good ol' USA - and they couldn't be nicer or more gracious, BTW........

We went to Antigua on our Panama Canal cruise in November and took one of HAL's shore excursion packages. It was truly one of the best experiences we had while in any of the ports. We always endeavor to take an excursion through the ship or with a REPUTABLE excursion company - usually one I have heard recommended on these boards!

JMHO, but here are a few lessons we've learned over the years: Take no valuables with you on shore. Don't wear expensive jewelry or watches; leave your purse/wallet on the ship - we take only those over-the-neck passport holders with cut-proof neck straps. Inside we have one credit card and a few small-denomination bills for tips or small purchases, a picture ID and our ship's card. Everything zips up inside, the pouch is worn inside a shirt or blouse, and you have both hands free. The #1 thing to remember, however, is to NEVER wander off by yourself - NEVER leave your group. I have a friend who cruises a lot and she also carries a really loud whistle with her when she goes ashore. I haven't bought one yet, but I probably will...

I know on our Panama Canal cruise with HAL, the cruise director was most specific about staying together with our tour group, not getting tricked into conversations with strangers, and NEVER wandering off by ourselves. Bad things can and do happen in every city in the world. Basic common sense and extreme caution are the norm these days, unfortunate as that may be, whether you are traveling abroad or going to your local Wal-Mart.

DH and I will be praying for the family of this unfortunate young lady.

Archived