Star Charter for OLYMPICS (to/during/from) in Jeopardy?

inside_scoop

...and one more thing. What will NCL schedule now with the Star when she returns from her Mexico cruise on February 6th? She doesn't go into drydock in Victoria until February 14th. For the crew it is really a disaster since they rely so heavily on tips to supplement their pay.

I guess NCL will now have a Pacific Coastal cruise to sell from Victoria or Vancouver to Los Angeles from February 28 to March 6th.

Nope - they are going to run the ship empty - heard that from someone in the "know".

They have done this before. They ran the ship empty up the coast about 4 years ago.

You see, the "time" was sold to Newwest, so they don't have to run with passengers and can probably get more done without passengers mulling about.

On another note, it's nice to see that Victoria will get some profit from the Olympics (Victoria the City, not our Prov Gov ;) ).

...and one more thing. What will NCL schedule now with the Star when she returns from her Mexico cruise on February 6th? She doesn't go into drydock in Victoria until February 14th. For the crew it is really a disaster since they rely so heavily on tips to supplement their pay.

It's not really a disaster, as some will have an opportunity to go home during the dry dock situation. As said above, they were going to do some major engine work on her, now with the dry dock situation inevitable, they will more than likely work on the azipods too (a thorn in most engineers side; although they lessen the vibration for us) as well as other items both internal and external. Perhaps they might introduce the restaurant waiting monitors into the ship?

The last major dry dock was in March 2006 (we were on the last sailing before). They dry-docked her in San Fransico, and actually sent most of the crew home and ran it empty to San Fran from LA (not that far I know, but still a day).

You see, in the cooler climates, such as Vancouver, Victoria, dry dock space is not in high demand at this time of the year (although Vancouver Drydocks next to my office is kinda busy right now); I suspect it is in California.

Nope - they are going to run the ship empty - heard that from someone in the "know".

They have done this before. They ran the ship empty up the coast about 4 years ago.

You see, the "time" was sold to Newwest, so they don't have to run with passengers and can probably get more done without passengers mulling about.

I know what you are saying about NCL's position but that is alot of dead time where the crew

will not receive any tips. If they have no paid passengers from February 6th until the next regularly

scheduled Mexican cruise on March 6th that is going to be a major issue believe me.

Stay tuned........

I am so sorry for all who were planning on this sailing if it is cancelled. I had seriously considered one or other of the repos (live in Vancouver, so no point in doing the floating hotel). The only thing that held me back was having to pay in full upfront - I never know what might happen next week, never mind a few months down the road! :) It does make me wonder if anyone is even coming for the Olympics at this rate...seems most of the hotels still have availability, and there is no shortage of private rentals everywhere I look! I sure hope it all works out and you get full refunds...Keep us posted!

Maritimematters is reporting the charter is indeed canceled and that the Star is going into drydock.

http://www.maritimematters.com/shipnews.html

This article has some misinformation as the repo from Vancouver to LA leaves Vancouver on 3/2 and arrives 3/6. I know because I booked a balcony for $600.00 and a month later it dropped to $400.00. We were going to upgrade to a suite but left on vacation and a little less than 2 weeks later it said it was sold out. Now this...

I called and left a message with NewWest and asked them to let us know if we should book our flight to Vancouver or not yesterday. Today DH got the call and they said that they are going to let us know tomorrow. I highly doubt we will get our money back but hoping she is correct and we may be able to apply it to some other form of compensation. We'll just have to wait and see what shakes out tomorrow.:mad::confused::(

In the interests of keeping fellow cruisers informed, here is a story that ran about an hour ago on CBC Radio in Vancouver. Looks like the plan is sunk for good...

CBC News has learned the Norwegian Star cruise ship will not be coming to Vancouver after all.

The ship, based in Los Angeles had been booked by an Alberta Investment group to accomodate travellers to the Winter Olympic Games.

Now the Make A Wish foundation has been told to find other accomodations for kids fighting terminal illness as well as hundreds of other passengers.

Terry Donnelly reports.

Tape: The dream...."

Runs: 1:08

Ends: ".....CBC News Vancouver."

<<<< The dream of staying aboard a cruise ship during the Olympics has vanished into thin air. Ross Heatherington is the Executive Director of Make A Wish here in Vancouver. He got the news this afternoon.

"...I have been told just half an hour ago.. by Shindig Marketing that it has officially been cancelled and that NCL Cruise Line has now said the cruise ship is not coming here for the Olympics."

That is the worst possible news for hundreds of Olympic guests who had paid for accomodations on the Norwegian Star. But it's far worse for 13 children from Canada, the US and Australia who are battling life threatening illnesses. Heatherington says coming to the Olympics, meeting athletes and seeing the Games has been a wish these kids have been clinging to.

".... the magic of an Olympic wish has filled them up for a year.. has allowed them to go through the treatments and the hospital stays and missing school and pulling out of sports they can no longer participate in."

Hetherington says they are looking for angels.. and he began sending out SOS letters yesterday. The 13 kids.... and their families need places

to stay if their dreams are to come true.

Terry Donnelly CBC News Vancouver Feb 2 2010 >>>>

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

I happen to be a Canadian reporter as well as an avid cruiser...Here is the official release just sent out on behalf of New West Special Projects:

NEWWEST SPECIAL PROJECTS LP

STATEMENT ON BEHALF OF NEWWEST SPECIAL PROJECTS

February 2, 2010. Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. It is with regret that Newwest

Special Projects LP is announcing the cancellation of its charter of the Norwegian

Star. The cancellation includes the pre cruise, scheduled for 6-10 February from

LA to Vancouver, the post cruise, scheduled for 2-6 March from Vancouver to LA

and Vancouver stay for the 2010 Olympic Winter Games. We sincerely

apologize to the guests who have booked with us for this inconvenience.

Newwest will be issuing refunds. Guests who have booked should contact us at

877.254.2010 or 780.450.1555.

FAQ

How many staterooms were available on board the ship?

1108 staterooms were for sale, including the pre, post and Vancouver portion of the

charter.

Will Newwest issue a refund for passengers?

Yes, Newwest will refund money to passengers in a timely manner. Passengers who

had booked with us should contact our Edmonton office at 877.254.2010 or

Will Newwest assist guests’ in finding alternative accommodations?

Yes, we will make every effort to assist in finding alternative accommodations for guests

attending the Olympics.

Why did Newwest cancel the charter?

Newwest made the decision to cancel the charter due to slower than expected sales,

along with expenses associated with the charter that were higher than anticipated.

—END—

In the interests of keeping fellow cruisers informed, here is a story that ran about an hour ago on CBC Radio in Vancouver. Looks like the plan is sunk for good...

CBC News has learned the Norwegian Star cruise ship will not be coming to Vancouver after all.

The ship, based in Los Angeles had been booked by an Alberta Investment group to accomodate travellers to the Winter Olympic Games.

Now the Make A Wish foundation has been told to find other accomodations for kids fighting terminal illness as well as hundreds of other passengers.

Terry Donnelly reports.

Tape: The dream...."

Runs: 1:08

Ends: ".....CBC News Vancouver."

<<<< The dream of staying aboard a cruise ship during the Olympics has vanished into thin air. Ross Heatherington is the Executive Director of Make A Wish here in Vancouver. He got the news this afternoon.

"...I have been told just half an hour ago.. by Shindig Marketing that it has officially been cancelled and that NCL Cruise Line has now said the cruise ship is not coming here for the Olympics."

That is the worst possible news for hundreds of Olympic guests who had paid for accomodations on the Norwegian Star. But it's far worse for 13 children from Canada, the US and Australia who are battling life threatening illnesses. Heatherington says coming to the Olympics, meeting athletes and seeing the Games has been a wish these kids have been clinging to.

".... the magic of an Olympic wish has filled them up for a year.. has allowed them to go through the treatments and the hospital stays and missing school and pulling out of sports they can no longer participate in."

Hetherington says they are looking for angels.. and he began sending out SOS letters yesterday. The 13 kids.... and their families need places

to stay if their dreams are to come true.

Terry Donnelly CBC News Vancouver Feb 2 2010 >>>>

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Here I was feeling sorry for ourselves for losing this trip and I thought money but I feel so much worse for those courageous children. I wish we lived closer otherwise I would offer them to stay with us so that they could attend. This is just heartbreaking.

This is terribly disappointing! This was to be our first ever family cruise with extended family and we have also booked disney tickets, hotels and return flight. The only problem is, my parents were mainly going for the cruise, not so much disneyland, and everyone is terribly upset. Now flights to LA are twice what we paid for the flight to Vancouver.

I am hoping against hope that perhaps there might be another repositioning cruise put on by NCL since the Star still has to be in LA for the Mexican runs and will be in drydock in Victoria until the 28th of Feb. The cruise to LA was sold out, if NCL would put on the repo cruise then this whole shipful of people counting on that cruise might not have to have their plans dashed to pieces...I'm sure this is wishful thinking......

Signed, tearful in Vancouver..

Well, that's it. It's cancelled. The sad part is not for those who miss the cruise itself, but all the people expecting to use it as a hotel for the games. Now they have no where to stay in a city that's all booked up.

What's worse is that 11 terminally ill children who had Olympic wishes through the Make a Wish Foundation may now not see their wishes come true. If alternate hotel accommodation can't be found those kids can't come. Private rooms are not allowed due to insurance reasons, so no, people cannot put them up. Isn't that horrible?!!

Don't feel bad for a company that over priced their cabins and couldn't sell them. Feel bad for those poor little kids, as well all the others who may miss the games.

Well, that's it. It's cancelled. The sad part is not for those who miss the cruise itself, but all the people expecting to use it as a hotel for the games. Now they have no where to stay in a city that's all booked up.

What's worse is that 11 terminally ill children who had Olympic wishes through the Make a Wish Foundation may now not see their wishes come true. If alternate hotel accommodation can't be found those kids can't come. Private rooms are not allowed due to insurance reasons, so no, people cannot put them up. Isn't that horrible?!!

Don't feel bad for a company that over priced their cabins and couldn't sell them. Feel bad for those poor little kids, as well all the others who may miss the games.

agree 110%

Nita

On our Jan 16-30 Panama Canal cruise on the Star, the crew seemed to be excited about going to the olympics. Now they're probably not looking forward to skipping a month of tips.

NCL should get the engine issue worked out. We had to leave one port early due to the problem.

I've discovered Home for the Games who have a website for stays during the 2010 games. It is a good website and there is space available in Vancouver. These private homes/suites must donate 50% of income to charities. For those who are looking to replace what they have booked on NCL Star this could be a good way to go.

Has anyone even talked to New West Specialty or heard back from them when leaving emails and phone messages. If you have please post it.

Message for Silly sox. You still can fly cheap to LA. Use Allegiant air in Bellingham. Mar 3 and 6 still $38. You can save money by paying directly to the airport or else you will pay convenience fee and automatic insurance.

We booked the repo too. 13 of us Feb 6-10. Hopefully we will get our money back. Our airfare already down the drain because we didn`t purchase travel insurance. Thought about going to LA anyways but it will be too expensive.

I guess a $165 oceanview all-in is too good a sale for 4 nights.

The charter prices were too good to be true. Really glad I didn't jump on it.

Feel really bad for the Make A Wish kids, but somehow, I think they will prosper. Remember David Foster and Bruce Allen (all BC'ers) are avid supporters of this project and I am sure that they will conjure up some local support for the kinds now that this had made it to the press and local papers here.

As for all of you that are concerned about the crew, rest assured that NCL will take care of them. As the crew on the Star typically flips in April when it arrives in Seattle after it's shortened Alaska cruise, I suspect that NCL will flip the crew prior to the Star leaving LA. Some will remain, but I can almost guarantee that the serving staff will be sent to other ships, and those they will be replacing will get leave for a while, before returning to duties.

If you ask how I know this? Well, I do take time when on the ships to talk to the crew and ask questions like this. What I said above is typical of a dry dock scenario. NCL will treat this as such.

Both NCL & Make-A-Wish have assured me that "every wish family will go to Vancouver" and that "new rooms have been secured."

natspogi - Great info on Allegiant! I suppose a coastal Amtrak would work too? But, it might cost more than Allegiant!

Good luck to all that have been affected by this unfortunate turn of events.

Both NCL & Make-A-Wish have assured me that "every wish family will go to Vancouver" and that "new rooms have been secured."

natspogi - Great info on Allegiant! I suppose a coastal Amtrak would work too? But, it might cost more than Allegiant!

Good luck to all that have been affected by this unfortunate turn of events.

I called the New West Travel agent who booked me on the Van-LA repo. and she gave me a site where you have to go to request your refund. She said that she hadn't called yet as they were all busy trying to make arrangements for those who actually booked to attend the Olympics. Here is the site for anyone that needs it http://vancouver2010cruiseship.com/Home.html

:(

As sad and as bad as this is for those who booked either of the repo cruises or the live aboard in Vancouver it looks like everyone is getting there money back for the cruise part. My TA's company was offering the repos as well so I guess they will have some work to do.

Cruise Junky - have they stated which hotels or corporate benefactors have stepped up to the plate - last report I had saw was that they were finalizing the plans.

Cheers

Dennis

Archived