TSA checked wine/alcohol rules vs. Carnival's 1 bottle/person carryon allowance

Schmink45

Has anyone gone thru the initial TSA screening at the Carnival cruise terminal embarking with wine and NOT have it confiscated by TSA???

Carnival allows 1 bottle per person at embarkation but says it has to go into the carry on luggage.

TSA says alcohol has to go into checked luggage. (the 3 oz liquid rule)

I REALLY don't feel like having my wine thrown out at the TSA screening area!

I searched the Forum for the information, but couldn't find anything specific to this issue.

Here's the researched information, plus the web address:

The Ticket Contract per Carnival Cruise Lines:

"(f) Except as noted below, Guests are prohibited from bringing alcohol on Carnival’s vessels for on board consumption. However, at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day only, guests 21 years and older may bring one bottle of wine or champagne per person on board only in their carry on luggage."

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/ticket_contract.aspx

TSA Rules:

"With the exception of medications, any amount of liquid including alcohol greater than three ounces must be packed in your checked baggage.

Carrying Alcohol In Your Checked Baggage

You may take up to five liters of alcohol with alcohol content between 24% and 70% per person as checked luggage if it’s packaged in a sealable bottle or flask.

Alcoholic beverages with less than 24% alcohol content are not subject to hazardous materials regulations."

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1189.shtm

Note that TSA allows 5 liters, so theoretically I could take a 'rehoboam' (4.5 liters) of champagne, because it's a unit aka 'a bottle' per Carnival. (of course, at 152 ozs, that sucker's almost 10 pounds...)

Any help you can give me ASAP would be uber appreciated-I sail on Feb. 8th, 2010 from Port of Los Angeles.

Thank you!!!

I believe that TSA rule is for airline travel - not cruise ships.

That is correct. The screening of passengers boarding cruise ships is conducted by security personnel hired by the port operator. The TSA is not involved, nor do TSA rules apply. The cruise line determines what is permitted on the ship...and different cruise lines have different rules.

That would be great-I know that RCCL states that passengers must comply with all TSA Security checkpoint requirements, but Carnival doesn't have that caveat.

I was worried about the seeming inconsistancy, but your answer makes a lot of sense.

If any bothersome issues come up regarding this, I'll post it.

Thank you SO very much for your answer!!!

That would be great-I know that RCCL states that passengers must comply with all TSA Security checkpoint requirements, but Carnival doesn't have that caveat.

I was worried about the seeming inconsistancy, but your answer makes a lot of sense.

If any bothersome issues come up regarding this, I'll post it.

Thank you SO very much for your answer!!!

I don't see where RoyalCaribbean makes any reference to TSA requirements either:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/topTenFAQs/detail.do;jsessionid=0000Y4zWOwDmt7CvusxuNLavNHD:13hldil87?pagename=top_10_faqs&pnav=4&snav=2&faqId=2608&faqSubjectName=Top+10+FAQ%27s+

Q: What items are not allowed onboard the cruise ship?

A: Weapons, illegal drugs, and other items that could interfere with the safe operation of the ship or the safe and secure environment of our guests and crew are prohibited. The following are examples of items that are not allowed onboard. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found.

Prohibited items: Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.

Sharp Objects, including knives and scissors.

(Note: Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed.)

Illegal Drugs & Substances

Candles & Incense

Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, & Hot Plates

Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows & Arrows

Illegal Drugs

Skateboards & Surfboards

Martial Arts Gear

Self-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks.

Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks.

HAM Radios

Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint.

Personal Alcohol

The cruiselines don't go by TSA rules....if you're flying to port, you'll have to pack according to TSA...but once you're off the plane, you can rearrange you luggage to suit you...the ship is only interested in alcohol...in whatever amounts (if any) it allows. Pack for the ship accordingly.

Is there some sort of a little 'flag' when you go thru the screening/xray, or do they ask you when you present your paperwork??

Just curious-I had seen on other boards that a few others had boarded and not been charged.

Hey, it's still CHEAPER to get a couple of bottles at Sam's Club and be charged the corking fee!

Thank you, all of you!!!

My cruise leaves this Monday Feb 8th...whoo-hoo!!!

Not sure why RCCL FAQ page would even bother mentioning the TSA liquid rules within their alcohol policy in the first place; RCCL policy does not allow any alcohol, wine or champagne to be brought aboard. Carnival allows the single bottle of wine per person, but they don't care how you get it to the ship.

Archived