Hotel Suggestions in Venice

letsrun26

My wife and I are planning a Mediterranean cruise in the Fall, which departs from Venice, Italy. We're arriving a day early and staying another night after the cruise, so we're looking for a hotel for two nights that's close to the port, close to sights, but relatively affordable. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

We did a Med cruise last August on Celebrity Summit and stayed at the Hotel Ala. It's a Best Western property, but in Europe Best Western's are actually nice -- unlike the US ones! :) It was a good location near St. Mark's square -- was clean and fine. Beds were not very good, but they never seem to be that good in Europe. Sue is right, you want to be near St. Mark's square and you can just take the Vaporetto everywhere...it's very easy and cheap. Good luck!!

I second the recommendation for the Best Western. We stayed at the Cavaletto near St. Mark's Square. While we weren't on a cruise, the location is central and the hotel was very nice, definitely not your typical B.W.

You have plenty of time to look for a promotion or try Priceline. I believe we were able to hold the reservation with no money down which helped as we weren't sure about hotels at the time.

It's been about 17 years since I was in Venice, but hubby and I stayed at Hotel Boston right off of St. Marks Square. It was a very nice hotel and reasonably priced. I mentioned this on a different thread and someone mentioned that the hotel has changed names, but I don't remember what the new name is.

Enjoy Venice! I fell in love with the city! Make sure you ask the concierge for "non-tourist" places to eat - they had the best food!

We stayed at Hilton Stucky Molino, it was FABULOUS!

You can't beat the view from their rooftop pool.

I'll post pictures (if I don't forget)

Thankyou for the photos! I love views :)

Please can you tell me how you got from the hotel to the port?

http://www.cadeidogi.it/

Ca Dei Dogi...stay here it is awesome! And a good deal. You are right behind the Dogi's palace and jail. You can be in the square in just 5 minutes. Lots of restaurants around. We just stayed here last May for my sister in-law's wedding. We loved it and the staff will bend over backwards for you.

A couple of years ago, my husband and I spent a week at the Foscari Palace. It has it's own 'dock' for the taxi or water bus. It took us about 10 minutes or so to walk to St Marks Square. The area is full of restaurants and walking friendly. To get to hotels from airport will be by either water taxi or private taxi. There are other ways .... but if you have to struggle with luggage and going up/down steps/bridges it just isn't worth it. You might want to check out http://www.tripadvisor.com for the Venice forums.

Thankyou for the photos! I love views :)

Please can you tell me how you got from the hotel to the port?

Very close to the hotel is a Vaporetto-stop (vaporetto is Venis' version of a bus) that brings you to the piazza di Roma (or something like that) where you can catch a (free) shuttle bus to the port.

Or you can take a water taxi from the hotel to the port (takes like 5 minutes). This wasn't cheap (60 euros) but we were glad we didn't have to schlep our bags around :)

If you choose this solution, book the taxi with concierge to be sure there will be one when you'll need it.

Also, I think up to 8 people fit in one, so you can always see on your roll call if other people are staying at the same hotel and want to share a ride. (or look on roll calls for departures on same date but other cruiseline, all the taxis drop off at the same point)

We saved a lot by staying on the mainland. We stayed in a Holiday Inn Express in Quarto di Altino. It is quite a way from the city, but the room price included train tickets every day.

My advice to you is that you reconsider and stay in Venice proper, even if it is in a simple B&B.

Pre-cruise, I would recommend finding a hotel on or near Piazzale (sp?) Roma. You can take the aerobus from the airport right there and very inexpensive. You won't have to schlepp your luggage very far. Use the search function on this board as there were recently a couple of threads about hotels near PR.

For post-cruise, it depends on what time your flight home is. If early, then I recommend staying near the airport. In November we stayed at Titian Hotel for 1 night. Worked well. When you get off the ship, take a shuttle to PR or use the people mover if it is operating when you are there. You can leave your luggage at the Drop Bag place and tour V for the day. When you are ready, you can head for your hotel.

Archived