Rhapsody - 2 x teenagers -would you book 4 berth or interconnecting?

allyman

Hi Cruisers

I have been lurking on this forum for a few weeks, as I can't decide if a cruise would be a good idea for my family for a change of pace. I am quite astounded that so many of you have done so many cruises? There must be something good about them otherwise why would you all keep coming back for more. I have been tempted to give it a go for the first time!

I have basically decided the Rhapsody would be the better ship for us (I have US$3500 left over from our trip to the states last April). My main quandry is that I can't decide what cabin would be best for us. I am considering a December or January cruise. My son will be 15 and daughter 13. Will we be comfortable for 10 or so nights in a 4 berth cabin? I like the idea of a balcony, so do we go balcony 4 berth, or get two interconnecting oceanview staterooms (I don't think the budget will stretch to two balcony rooms). Obviously there are pro's and con's for both, but what would seasoned cruisers with teenagers do?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks all in advance!

Alexandra

We have teenagers and have just returned from 2 weeks on the Rhapsody. It was our first cruise and we loved it. Without a doubt I would go 2 separate cabins. That way the kids have their own space and their own bathroom. Ours weren't interconnecting, just next door to one another. All the cabins are really small and 4 people in a cabin for 10 or more nights would be pretty squashy, plus the kids would be sleeping on fold out bunk beds on the wall. People sleep 4 to a cabin all the time, but if you are able to get 2 separate cabins it would be so much better.

Thanks ausgirl for your input. I tend to agree, it could get on my nerves us living in cramped confined quarters. Did you have balcony rooms, outside or inside if you don't mind me asking.

I was quoted about $4400 for each cabin -outside staterooms category I on deck 2 or $4643 for category f on deck 4. I thought it would be cheaper given the big promotion they have running at the moment.

Would you call it value for money?

Thanks again,

Ally

Hi Alexandra,

I would take a balcony suite.

You will get a much larger room with two single beds and a queen size pull out sofa that your steward will change twice each day to leave you with a spacious room with a great balcony. The balcony is an extra living space. Balcony rooms come with fridges, but oceanview rooms on deck 3 don’t.

If the weather is good you won’t spend much time in your room. Considering everything, i would go for the higher deck, the fridge and the balcony.

I’m sure you’ll have fun whatever you choose,

Best wishes

Angela

I don't know if you have the possibility but heres what we have done a few times with teenagers.

as they were not bothered about cabin at all we booked an inside cabin for them and an outside/balcony cabin for us. as they slept in they said the total darkness was much better anyway.

our experience was that we didn't see them much on ship except for meals

they did their thing and we did ours

must admit though wasn't on this ship but on the Aida's (german orientated so not many threads on this forum)

:)

Hi Cruisers

I have been lurking on this forum for a few weeks, as I can't decide if a cruise would be a good idea for my family for a change of pace. I am quite astounded that so many of you have done so many cruises? There must be something good about them otherwise why would you all keep coming back for more. I have been tempted to give it a go for the first time!

I have basically decided the Rhapsody would be the better ship for us (I have US$3500 left over from our trip to the states last April). My main quandry is that I can't decide what cabin would be best for us. I am considering a December or January cruise. My son will be 15 and daughter 13. Will we be comfortable for 10 or so nights in a 4 berth cabin? I like the idea of a balcony, so do we go balcony 4 berth, or get two interconnecting oceanview staterooms (I don't think the budget will stretch to two balcony rooms). Obviously there are pro's and con's for both, but what would seasoned cruisers with teenagers do?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks all in advance!

Alexandra

Alexandra, we cruise with our two teenagers. have had 2 x separate cabins once and the other times a quad. We are booked again Rhapsody NYE cruise and again a quad. If you could afford 2 x separate rooms, I would say go for it. Each time we have had a quad as we got a really good price. If we hadnt had quads we probably wouldnt be able to go as often. We are usually in rooms before the kids at night. We very rarely go back to room during the day, except to get changed etc... If you were a person that liked to go to your room a lot, 2 would be better. If the price diff wasnt that much then it would be great, but as we have found it works out a bit much to have 2 cabins.. I really dont care as long as I am on a cruise icon10.gifFiona

Thanks ausgirl for your input. I tend to agree, it could get on my nerves us living in cramped confined quarters. Did you have balcony rooms, outside or inside if you don't mind me asking.

I was quoted about $4400 for each cabin -outside staterooms category I on deck 2 or $4643 for category f on deck 4. I thought it would be cheaper given the big promotion they have running at the moment.

Would you call it value for money?

Thanks again,

Ally

Do you mind me asking which cruise you were quoted this for?? Our NYE cruise on Rhapsody, we booked at $1,500p/p Fiona

Hi all,

Fiona, the price I was quoted was for the 27 December cruise through travelscene. As I mentioned it was $4400 per cabin, so $2,200 per person. This was for oceanview. If I can get cheaper of course I would be delighted. Any suggestions.

I have considered changing from the 27 Dec cruise to the 13 Jan one as it is a bit cheaper. However, is the vibe NYE really that good? If this is my first cruise I will probably love it no matter what ... I hope.

I had visions of hubby and I spending quiet quality time on our balcony with a wine or two, but if you can't bring your own alcohol is there any way to achieve this?

Ally

Hi Ally,

Regarding drinking in your cabin-

If you purchase one of the discounted wine packages, then you can pick up a bottle from the restaurant at lunch or dinner. We had an 8pm sitting, so we would go in to the restaurant at 6pm and ask our waiter for a bottle of champagne or wine from our package. Then we would take it back to our cabin and have a pre dinner drink on the balcony.

We could also take a half-full or full bottle from the restaurant after our meal so that we had something in our fridge for later or the next day.

Other days we would take advantage of any pre-dinner two-for-one offers advertised at any of the bars.

Angela

Hi Angela

Love your plan for pre-dinner drinks as this is something we really enjoy on holidays. Thanks for sharing. It would be so much better if we had a balcony ....

You should see my spreadsheet - I have become obsessed. I am considering 4 different cruise dates and pricing for 4 in Junior Suite, 4 in Balcony Suite, 4 in Oceanview Stateroom, then 2 x Balcony suite then 2 x Oceanview Stateroom. Sound confusing... I have then divided the total cost by number of days to see which is the best value for money.

Result???? April 4 2011 - 4 in an Oceanview Stateroom category F. Only $3974.00 total which is $397 per day or $99 per person per day! Sounds cheap eh... lots more spending money but no balcony:( Best balcony option is on the 13 January cruise.

Am I going around in circles. Only a few days left to book ...

Ally

We do the exact same thing with the spreadsheets ;) really makes it easier to compare cruises of different lengths and all.

As for the NYE vibe you asked about they definitely have it, especially on a south pacific cruise but the same can really be said for any summer cruise to the south pacific, they all have big nights and great vibes on them.

We were looking at all the cruises you've mentioned but ended up going on the 13th Jan one as we got a heaps better rate then nye for what really is... the same thing, just one day less.

No matter what choice you make you can't go wrong though :D

Hi all,

Fiona, the price I was quoted was for the 27 December cruise through travelscene. As I mentioned it was $4400 per cabin, so $2,200 per person. This was for oceanview. If I can get cheaper of course I would be delighted. Any suggestions.

I have considered changing from the 27 Dec cruise to the 13 Jan one as it is a bit cheaper. However, is the vibe NYE really that good? If this is my first cruise I will probably love it no matter what ... I hope.

I had visions of hubby and I spending quiet quality time on our balcony with a wine or two, but if you can't bring your own alcohol is there any way to achieve this?

Ally

Hi Ally, wow, the 27th is the cruise we booked. This will be our 4th NYE cruise. They are great. Friends we went with last year just booked 13Jan, as it was quite a bit cheaper for them (they have 3 kids) I just checked where we booked thru (cant mention on here) and prices have gone up quite a bit, as expected for that time of the year. Quad inside - $1,700, Large quad outside - $1,890- Twin inside - $1,950 Twin outside - $2,200

Quad - Balcony - $2,200 Twin - balcony - $2,900 The 13th Jan cruise prices were quite a bit cheaper.

We have always taken on drinkies..naughty I know.... have never been sent to the naughty room..

The dates you have said (NYE and Jan) are great if you have kids....so many more kids on board than later cruises and they just have a ball and you will rarely see them. So much for them to do and so much organised for them at those popular cruises..

No matter which cruise you choose you will love and become addicted to, like lots of us on here lol...

We love the NYE cruises, but also it is the only time we can go, unfortunatly. The last ones we were on were 12 nights and they werent long enough. lol ... so 10 nights will be the shortest one we have been on, but the 13th is 9 nights....so at least it is 1 more night. haha.. If you want to email me feel free ..... jszycman@bigpond.net.au Fionaicon7.gif

Hi Ally,

Regarding drinking in your cabin-

If you purchase one of the discounted wine packages, then you can pick up a bottle from the restaurant at lunch or dinner. We had an 8pm sitting, so we would go in to the restaurant at 6pm and ask our waiter for a bottle of champagne or wine from our package. Then we would take it back to our cabin and have a pre dinner drink on the balcony.

We could also take a half-full or full bottle from the restaurant after our meal so that we had something in our fridge for later or the next day.

Other days we would take advantage of any pre-dinner two-for-one offers advertised at any of the bars.

Angela

Hi We have just booked on the Rhapsody of the Seas for 4th April 2011, I know it is a long way off, first time with Royal Carribean, curious what are these drink packages please?

Wow thanks all for your feedback. I am glad I am not the only one to do spreadsheets?

I have surfed a few websites today to compare prices and I can't get better than my original prices. I take it we aren't allowed to ask for recommendations on the best websites or travel agencies?!

After much discussion I think we will defer til 13 January and book x 2 Balcony D2 staterooms. As we have never experienced a NYE cruise we will be none the wiser and won't know what we are missing. Wish it was a 10 day cruise though, but I guess compromising are a fact of life. Aside from having the balcony and fridge we will have privacy! We spent 3 weeks touring the US last April will all of us sharing a room. It is not only the room it is the bathroom too I dislike, lol.

Thank you all for your assistance. I am sure I will have other questions to ask soon and now I know how helpful you all are ... look out.:D

Ally

As a experienced parent (some 50 kids) and just one to go...two rooms definately...I have travelled with my kids it is just not worth your sanity to try and share a stateroom...:)

Have a great time lets hear from you about the experience...would be good if the kids gave us their review as well.

Hi Subaru94,

You can buy a wine/champagne package before you go or purchase onboard. I think you save 25% both ways, so you may as well wait until you are on board.

The wines are not cheap (about $30 - $40 and more, I think) so the 25% discount is handy. You have a choice of Gold or Platinum packages and you can choose 5, 7 or 10 bottles. We took the cheapest package and drank Sav Blanc from Chile and Korbel Champagne. They seemed OK to me, but I’m no expert!

You can get more info on the Royal Caribbean site or the Cruise Critic Royal Caribbean boards. Make sure that you sign up for the Meet & Mingle! They are fun!

Angela

Archived