Balcony Lights - Why do people leave them on all night?

tomko2

We have been unfortunate in not having our balcony light work that often. I do enjoy sitting out on the balcony late at night and would prefer to have the light on out there (as opposed to leaving one of the side lights on in the cabin). The times it has worked I do make sure that I turn it off before I come in; however, lights can be just as annoying as smokers on balconies...

For those that do choose to keep the light on, do so because that is what they prefer. Those that choose to smoke do so because they want to.

I was very excited to hear that the Solstice class ships on X did not even have balcony lights to leave on. Woohoo! Then I read a post over there of someone complaining about that "omission" and stating that now there was something else to add to her "to bring" list - a light to take out on the balcony. Sigh...... :D

This is just a pet peeve.

On several of our cruises our neighbours have left their balcony lights on all night long. The light spills over onto our balcony and even into our cabin.

I know we could close our drapes and eliminate the problem but we do like to see the night sky.

Is there a reason why people would leave their balcony lights on all night?

We have looked over during the day and the light is off so they make the decision to turn it on at night.

As I stated at the beginning, this is just a pet peeve not a major issue. Any insight welcome.

Kathy:confused:

Perhaps the lights are on, but nobody's home. :)

Next time this happens, why don't you ask the person(s) responsible this very question.

Thanks for all the responses; I see we are not alone.:)

We would never knock on our neighbour's cabin for something like this however now if we see them in the hallway I think we would be more likely to gently ask them about it.

Thanks again.

Kathy

On the first night of a longer Hawaii cruise, our neighbors left their balcony light on. We left a nice note on their door asking if they would turn it off when not using it. Things went fine for a couple nights, then the light was on again. By now we knew they had late dinner while we had early. So we gave the stateroom attendant a $20 tip asking him to turn their balcony light off when servicing the room each evening. It worked perfectly and we could see the night sky and ocean waves...

On one of our cruises we had family next to us leave the light on all night for a night lite for their kids. When I ask them to please shut it off because we like to sit out late at night and sip on some wine. I was told his kids would not sleep unless the light was on. I ask the cabin Stuart to help me with this problem. He indeed took care of it.

I have to have a bit of a dissenting opinion on this...

In the past I have never thought twice about the light on our balcony... some times we left it on.. sometimes off. Never in a million years would have dreamed that someone was such a light sleeper that a tiny sliver of light coming from another balcony would keep them awake.

We had a cruise on Mariner a few weeks ago where after our first night (where we left the light on without thinking) our next door neighbor popped her head around our balcony the next morning and told us in a very condescending tone that our light kept her up all night and we BETTER turn it off from this point forward. We considered for all of 2 minutes keeping it on the rest of the cruise out of principal but then decided to move on with our life and not let something that small bother our wonderful vacation.

We then look closely at how the light reflects off the next door balcony and it is a VERY small bit. That is with the blinds open - if you keep yours closed I can't imagine that any would come through. While I understand that each person has their own sleeping patterns I would think that if you are that sensitive to light, having an inside stateroom where you can keep it pitch black, might be the best option.

Of course there is the other argument that it is my balcony and my light and if I choose to keep it on all night - then I will. ;)

Cabin 7110 on Serenade doesn't have a balcony light. My mom wanted to read on the balcony in the evening but there wasn't enough light. We looked for a switch but couldn't find one. I looked on the balcony and realized there wasn't a light anywhere. It looked like there might have been one previously but it had been removed.

[quote name='jobowl']On one of our cruises we had family next to us leave the light on all night for a night lite for their kids. When I ask them to please shut it off because we like to sit out late at night and sip on some wine. I was told his kids would not sleep unless the light was on. I ask the cabin Stuart to help me with this problem. He indeed took care of it.[/quote]

Really?? I am suprised. I would have thought they had as much right to leave the lights on for the children.

[quote name='kyriecat']Cabin 7110 on Serenade doesn't have a balcony light. My mom wanted to read on the balcony in the evening but there wasn't enough light. We looked for a switch but couldn't find one. I looked on the balcony and realized there wasn't a light anywhere. It looked like there might have been one previously but it had been removed.[/quote]

I like the way Radiance Class does it. The lights are in the top part of the drapes inside the balcony door. That way, in order to light up the balcony, the light also has to be on inside the room.

[quote name='disneyfan1313']Of course there is the other argument that it is my balcony and my light and if I choose to keep it on all night - then I will. ;)[/quote]

Exactly! I am still trying to figure out how a cabin steward could "take care" of the situation when people have every right to do so. :cool:

[quote name='hazeleyez3']Exactly! I am still trying to figure out how a cabin steward could "take care" of the situation when people have every right to do so. :cool:[/quote]

Me too, if they supply you with a light on your balcony then you do have the right to use it .................. or else have a cut off time. Seen as they dont have a cut off time, you can leave it on as long as you wish too. I doubt the room steward would knock the door to tell you to turn it off.He might request it. Besides the fact, we never seen our room steward after 10pm.

[quote name='Aquahound']I like the way Radiance Class does it. The lights are in the top part of the drapes inside the balcony door. That way, in order to light up the balcony, the light also has to be on inside the room.[/QUOTE]The problem is the light inside the room does not provide enough light on the balcony to enable reading without causing eye strain. I would estimate that our light was the equivalent of a 25-watt bulb. I realize that there are "book lights" that clip to your book and focus a light source directly on the page. I have brought one with me in the past because I like to read in bed and the lamp by the bed bothers my husband. I was travelling with my mom this recent cruise and didn't think to bring a book light for her to use on the balcony.

Get real people. There are many, many, many people in Haiti that don't even have lights and you complain that your neighbors on a cruise left their balcony lights on. And to care more about yourself than children who use it as a night light is beyond comprehension.

[quote name='kyriecat']Cabin 7110 on Serenade doesn't have a balcony light. My mom wanted to read on the balcony in the evening but there wasn't enough light. We looked for a switch but couldn't find one. I looked on the balcony and realized there wasn't a light anywhere. It looked like there might have been one previously but it had been removed.[/QUOTE]

Some ships have a light on the balcony and some do not. I always check because I hate it when my neighbor leaves their balcony light on. I don't care about the bit of light that may seep into my cabin, but I do like to sit out on my DARK balcony and look at the stars and listen to the water.....very relaxing. This just doesn't work if your neighbor's light is beaming over into your balcony. Not a biggie, however because I enjoy all my cruises.

Archived