Snow coming - what happens if we miss our flights?

whiterose

Whiterose, you should make it OK this afternoon. The best we could do at changing flights was one late Tuesday night. However, the snow is supposed to start again around noon Tuesday so we are reluctant to take the chance.

Miraculously, a snow plow came through this morning so we can get out.

We are changing plans and plan to hit the road in a few hours before the next storm hits and we are trapped again.

We have friends who are well in their 90's, who can hardly walk but are still driving...They scare me & I only hope that I will be smart enough to know when it's time for me to give up driving.. As it is, we tell the kids that it's time for them to drive down to see us, as we are not comfortable with driving up to see them any more..

Cheers...:)Betty

My friend's dad who is 98 and lives in FLA is still driving. He bought his last car with an extended warranty. I hope not to meet him on the road.

Betty, we live by A-1-A where we still have 2 lanes, deemed by the Florida Beautification Program or such, so you can well imagine my fear and fright when I am on I-95 near WPB or FLL. Those people are nuts. Not to mention the fact that there are lanes to the right and left merging right into my front fender!!!!

Whiterose, I'm glad that it looks like you will be able to fly out today! I hope you (and all of the other posters flying out this week) get there safely, and have a great time! I really wish I was getting out of the deep freeze. I'm off to the grocery store after work tonight to stock up before this next storm hits.

As of 8 am our flight to Miami on American is supposed to leave on time at 3:15. We have the taxi booked and hopefully they will get us safely to Dulles airport even though the roads are still bad.

Only two runways are open so many flights will still be cancelled or late. We have 5 hours in between to get our flight to Uruguay so we should make the connection. If I don't post again you will know we made it out of town - smile.

Thanks for all the good wishes - sure are some nice people on the HAL board so hope to sail with you one of these days.

Joan

Good luck to you, and wishing you happy cruising. Sounds like you'll have plenty of time to make connections.

Whiterose, you should make it OK this afternoon. The best we could do at changing flights was one late Tuesday night. However, the snow is supposed to start again around noon Tuesday so we are reluctant to take the chance.

Miraculously, a snow plow came through this morning so we can get out.

We are changing plans and plan to hit the road in a few hours before the next storm hits and we are trapped again.

And good luck to you also Eldercruser. Think your doing the right thing by getting out now. Have a great cruise.

American Airlines flight 1851 departed IAD at 3:35 PM, 20 minutes late.

Flight 989 doesn't leave MIA until 11:10 PM, so it looks like Whiterose should be in Montevideo at 11am tomorrow morning. Let's hope they survived the ride to Dulles, and that they can survive a 5 hour layover at MIA - Yuck ;)

It's good to hear that they are on their way. They've been in a difficult situation for the last few days. I hope everything works out for them and they have a great cruise.

Looks like the DC area may get a bit more bad weather this week.

American Airlines flight 1851 departed IAD at 3:35 PM, 20 minutes late.

Flight 989 doesn't leave MIA until 11:10 PM, so it looks like Whiterose should be in Montevideo at 11am tomorrow morning. Let's hope they survived the ride to Dulles, and that they can survive a 5 hour layover at MIA - Yuck ;)

Thanks for the information!!

That sounds great for them!!

It's good to hear that they are on their way. They've been in a difficult situation for the last few days. I hope everything works out for them and they have a great cruise.

Looks like the DC area may get a bit more bad weather this week.

Looks like another foot of snow... I am LOVING this! I have waited for a real winter for as long as I can remember. My dh has been working like crazy (DC cop) so I've been holding down the fort and the natives (9, 4, and 2) are becoming more and more restless with each passing moment! I don't care, though, I'll be happy to shovel another foot just to watch the snow fall again.

Good luck to all on the East coast. Tomorrow and Wednesday will be rough.

Looks like another foot of snow... I am LOVING this! I have waited for a real winter for as long as I can remember. My dh has been working like crazy (DC cop) so I've been holding down the fort and the natives (9, 4, and 2) are becoming more and more restless with each passing moment! I don't care, though, I'll be happy to shovel another foot just to watch the snow fall again.

Good luck to all on the East coast. Tomorrow and Wednesday will be rough.

Yeah, my husband love the snow too ... says he can watch me shovel for hours and hours:p Too bad he'll be at work when our storm arrives tomorrow:p

As we suspected our flight today was cancelled as was the flight we were going to re-book too last night. The decision to get in the car and head south turned out to be the right one.

Our local roads were still in very bad shape Monday afternoon, but after we made it to I-95 it was smooth sailing.

Hopefully the air system will normalize by Friday so others can make it to the ship by Saturday.

Hopefully Whiterose made to Montivideo and is onboard!

As we suspected our flight today was cancelled as was the flight we were going to re-book too last night. The decision to get in the car and head south turned out to be the right one.

Our local roads were still in very bad shape Monday afternoon, but after we made it to I-95 it was smooth sailing.

Hopefully the air system will normalize by Friday so others can make it to the ship by Saturday.

Glad you made it! Enjoy your cruise :-)

Sleeting in San Antonio, Texas right now....at least at our home. Far better than when we lived in the DC area, particularly right now, but way colder than typical here and way too close to real winter weather! Just saw on TV that the mayor of Baltimore has closed city streets and only emergency vehicles are allowed to be out. I can't remember that ever happening in my 16+ years up there.....ugh! :eek:

I lived in Baltimore and the Baltimore area through the 40's, 50's and 60's and I can't remember the city being this shut down. We did have some really deep snows ... but things just sort of clunked along. Here in Durango we have had about 85 inches this season to date but hey, this is Colorado!! Roof was shoveled the a couple days ago. Sun is shinning today.

Hope all cruisers make it.... I could really use a cruise just now, but will have to wait until July when I head to ...... Iceland and Greenland. Am I a sucker for punishment or what?

Susan

Warm, balmy, sunny Florida is still 45 in my yard. Damn, I'm cold.:eek:

Ok, Esther, rub it in. We'll take 45 right now in a heartbeat! :D

Have a friend who moved from Long Island to Baltimore to Ft. Lauderdale and now 60 degrees to her is the frozen tundra. ;)

Eldercruser, so glad you got out of town when you did, and nice to know you are safe and going to make your cruise.

Anyone else going on a cruise trying to leave the East Coast, you may get a little break on Thursday and Friday but we're sending you more snow, we just had a small storm go through yesterday, so again I say get out of town when you can. You could be back to bad weather by this weekend. Sorry!

Archived