Carnival take notice! I don't like paying for stuff

Go Big Red

Carnival take notice! I don't like paying for stuff!!

Have recently read reviews/articles on the Oasis and Epic.

Don't like the trend that has started there.

Paying for everything. Bars with cover charges? Areas that are

exclusive to certain guest? This is not what cruising is about.

While I agree it certainly is not an all inclusive vacation, there

has to be a line somewhere. Maybe someday there will be a

ship that charges for everything.

Judging by all the smuggling theads, the can I take 2 cases of water, and soda ... others dont want to pay Carnival for things either lol.

I thought thats what this thread was about ... the recent luggage locks and I dont want my booze taken away themes.

Judging by all the smuggling theads, the can I take 2 cases of water, and soda ... others dont want to pay Carnival for things either lol.

I thought thats what this thread was about ... the recent luggage locks and I dont want my booze taken away themes.

I think that is part of it, but I also think there is a general trend to make other things payable (and Royal is leading in that effort...) like paying for room service 1-5 am, cover charges in night clubs etc. There are other things like reserving pool seats in certain areas (whether prime or not) for suite paying guests (yeah I know theat on RCCL you pay a whole bunch more for a suite, but frankly I hate the whole class thing). Princess has their adult area (their version, and it was first of Serenity) that has a charge.

Carnival has always been the value player in the cruising game and let's all hope they remember that.

I dunno.......rumor has it their beer prices went waay up:mad:

LOL, have heard the same thing:eek: It might be short sighted on me, but it always sobers me up when I look at all the little sail and sign slips.:(

Then, don't! That's why they're called "options". :rolleyes:

I agree, but....

Is a show an option?

Is a comedy club an option?

How about dinner??

Cruises are supposed to include this stuff.

I understand paying for a massage, but should I have to

pay to use the gym?

My point is these cruises are turning into resorts where you pay

for everything. And I don't like it!

I agree, but....

Is a show an option?

How about dinner??

pay to use the gym?

No, they're not. There is still free MDR dining. There is still a free buffet. There are still bars with no cover. As for the exclusive areas for certain cruisers ... have you not seen Titanic? ;)

Says who? You're gonna pay for it one way or the other - either through higher fares or through "User Fees". It's like schools. Either you pay higher taxes to the town or you pay higher athletic and activity fees. Either way, you pay. It's a business - not a service.

I agree, but....

Is a show an option?Is a comedy club an option?How about dinner??

Cruises are supposed to include this stuff. I understand paying for a massage, but should I have to pay to use the gym?

It's fine that you don't like it. You don't have to like it. ;)

When I'm charged an extra fee to avoid hitting the gangway in port, then I'll stop cruising. :D

You of course will be paying for that- as the insurance rates go up so will your cruise fares. You don't really imagine that CCL will lower its profits for increased insurance?

There was a time that cruising had a long list of things included, and a short list of things not included ("things of a personal nature").

I am just glad my experience on Carnival has been the addition of charges for premium additions only, like the Supper Club, specialty coffee, and the sweets counter. These things just weren't offered previously.

What I have noticed is the other lines are moving things that were once free, to an "additional charge" venue.

And while Carnival seems to continue to make a profit with their pricing structure, I hope they don't start getting greedy like those other lines.

Me too!

I use the heck out of the options offered....ironically, my sail and sign cost me not much more on NCL than CCL. I'm still trying to figure out how....:confused:

Our usual S&S bill adds up to about $100 per day (give or take). On our 14 day repo our S&S bill was just a little over $1600 and we ate in the surcharge restaurants 8 out of 14 nights.

:eek:

Ooops, never mind. I just remembered we had a $300 OBC.

well, that explains it!!! :p

Ok...but I also purchased a future cruise deposit for $250.

Doing math:

OK, our S&S without future cruise deposit paid and OBCs figured in...was $1750 divided by 14 days = $125 per day.

I don't think that's bad for purchasing the options I wanted.

I use the heck out of the options offered....ironically, my sail and sign cost me not much more on NCL than CCL. I'm still trying to figure out how....:confused:

Our usual S&S bill adds up to about $100 per day (give or take). On our 14 day repo our S&S bill was just a little over $1600 and we ate in the surcharge restaurants 8 out of 14 nights.

Doing math:

OK, our S&S without future cruise deposit paid and OBCs figured in...was $1750 divided by 14 days = $125 per day.

Ironically our RCCL seapass card (with the options added) was cheaper then any of our Carnival sail and sign.....but we did have a $250 obc also.....thanks to RCCL:D

Oh the beer was cheaper on RCCL also.......

Doing math:

Yeah I hear both of you (Kurban as well) in regards to options, but they can take it too far. I really don't have a complaint in regards to what I have to pay for now.... it's a matter of adding things. I guess it all comes out in the same in the end (and I guess that is your point of the per day charges), but when they start making some clubs free and others to pay it kinda makes me feel like I am getting screwed. Same with blocking off chairs, for that matter I don't even like how they do it on Cunard with depending what kind of room (floor/cost/balcony etc) you have that determines which main dining room you get to go to.

Yeah I hear both of you (Kurban as well) in regards to options, but they can take it too far. .

Who takes it too far? Are you anticipating total, a la carte?? If so, why don't you save your worry for when and IF that actually happens ;)

I agree, but....

Is a show an option?

How about dinner??

pay to use the gym?

I'm right behind you. That is a very slippery slope. Because the base cruise price won't go down that's guaranteed.

I liken it to buying a car without an engine, if you want an engine that will cost extra. it's the same priciple. You don't to pay for a cruise for the privilage to get on board and then anything else is additional charges. I prepay so I do not have to be nickled and dimed to watch a show go to the club and eat decent food.

If they start I mean they as in all of the cruise lines, then personal costs will sky rocket or there will be that Class warfare X2. I'm mean no disrepect but there are cruise lines for that sort of stuff. i.e. HAL, Crystal, Cunard, Disney... pretty soon we will be back in the 20s where only the afluent and well to do can cruise and the rest well they will go 3rd class in the bowels of the ship and on specific decks so the ones that can afford to pay more won't have to see you. It does sound extreme sorry but I am trying to get a point across that it can happen.

Look at the airline industry, you have 1st Class, business class, and coach, and most of the people reading this post are not paying out of their pocket for first class when they fly.

Look at NCL, they have that going on now, decks reserved for the people who books Suites and better, clubs and dinning rooms spas and deck lounges and deck areas.

I'd rather pay one price and get 90% of the activities or ammenities included. I feel Carnival is at present doing just that. There should not be a big disparage between the classes. It diminishes and can destroy the enjoyment when you are limited to where you can go and do because you can't afford it. That shouldn't be. I think feel that Carnival was the Antithesis of that philosophy when they started up their business by saying "We can cater to the middle class and make money"

Remember "All For Fun. Fun For All"

Not "All For fun, If They Can Afford to Pay Extra"

Archived