cruise compensation

wombat50

have been reading about the problems the pacific dawn has been having on current cruise and some passengers saying they havent been offered any sort of compensation yet as in OBC.

so when and for what reasons do you think passengers should be offered any compensation as in extra OBC, partial refund or discount on future cruises.

on our last cruise on dawn princess we missed 2 ports because we left late and at lifou they wouldnt let us off the ship both cause of that dreaded swine (pig) flu at no time were we offered any compo, not that i expected any, not really ships fault, but if we had of missed them due to ship troubles i would of expected something,

who in the past has received something and what was it and for what reason did you get it

ross

When the Pacific Sky broke down in the Malacca Straits in March '06 the end result was the ship spent the rest of the voyage limping from place to place and had to miss out on visting Malacca and Phuket.

There were some very angry people on board and initially P&O offered each passenger $50 in OBC.

This caused more problems for some, and people ended up phoning the media in Australia and telling them they were drifting in "pirate infested waters" and P&O could not care less.

All very dramatic.:rolleyes:

I was thoroughly enjoying the voyage and watched all this emotive claptrap with great amusement.

In the end the [very] vocal minority got their way and P&O ended up giving each passenger compensation of $350 each [in cash or credited to their credit card] before we limped back into Singapore.

Plus they laid on free wine with dinner each night. :p

I was more than pleased.

It was a big adventure, the Malaysian police did "anti pirate" patrols around us on a regular basis, we got the 8 day voyage we'd paid for, missed a few ports but who cares.

We still got to go to Pt Klang, Langkawi and Penang so all was good.

And we ended up getting a $700 refund on the trip.:D

I think P&O was more than generous but there were still a hard core of whingers around the decks. :mad:

And we ended up getting a $700 refund on the trip.:D

I think P&O was more than generous but there were still a hard core of whingers around the decks. :mad:

Maybe you only got that refund due to the whingers!

Everyone goes on a cruise for different reasons - I enjoy the port stops and if they were removed I would expect some compensation - If only to cover the extra drinking on board caused by boredom ;)

Maybe you only got that refund due to the whingers!

Everyone goes on a cruise for different reasons - I enjoy the port stops and if they were removed I would expect some compensation - If only to cover the extra drinking on board caused by boredom ;)

Point taken, but there are valid complaints and then there are loud, aggressive and obnoxious whingers.

Some of them even stood the Captain up personally and were irate to the point where he had to warn one of them to actually "get out of his face" physically or he would have him arrested.

And most members of this forum who know this Captain [stefano Ravera] would know he is one of the most competent, likeable, and easy going blokes that ever commanded a ship.

Point taken, but there are valid complaints and then there are loud, aggressive and obnoxious whingers.

Correct, and in these cases i'm happy to accept the '**** happens' approach and deal with the cruise line after the cruise if I really feel short changed by the experience.

Sandy - Frankly, i'm not overly social and somewhat shy and don't really get into a lot of shipboard activities that they use to fill the days. Sure, a few days at sea is good, but i'm also there to explore the islands. I would never sign up for a 7 night at sea cruise with no stops, so if that's what it turns into I would expect the cruise line to compensate for that.

Fair enough, Chris. Luckily I am happy to sit back in a deck chair and read, and watch the world go by and so is my DH. In fact we weren't bored on a 6 week voyage to the UK with only 4 ports (that's why it was relatively cheap at the time).

Now, having said that, I am also one of those people who wants to get going when on shore and see as much as possible. I'm always keen to see what's around the next corner, so to speak. (Comes of being a Gemini, I guess. :D) Two people in one - much to my husband's dismay sometimes. Hehehe :eek:

From what I've read, P&O always seem to compensate for missed ports. Right now I'm rather anxious about the Pac Dawn being repaired properly as we're due to go on her in 2 wks.

. . .

From what I've read, P&O always seem to compensate for missed ports. Right now I'm rather anxious about the Pac Dawn being repaired properly as we're due to go on her in 2 wks.

Do they actually compensate for missed ports or are they simply refunding the port fees?

We have never been compensated for missed ports. Missed 2 on p and o ships (different cruises, ouvea and mystery island) and also on the sapphire princess we missed Hobart.

Never even got a glass of wine at dinner.

Do they actually compensate for missed ports or are they simply refunding the port fees?

Any ports we have missed they have automatically refunded the port fees to our shipboard account.

How much they refund we will never know as port fees are usually just added on as a total of all those visited.

I do know however, that cruise lines have to pay a non refundable deposit to the port, in order for their wharfage booking to held, so I would imagine a part of the port fees would still have to be withheld.

because of our cruise with p&o in march last yr, where the ship broke down and some othe things that happened, for our feb cruise this yr we very very well compensate for missed ports and other things. we book a normal 4 birth out side cabin and we were offered a suite by P&O at no cost to us.

Hmmm....... does the spelling, punctuation, and syntax of the above remind you of anybody ??? :D:)

Hmmm....... does the spelling, punctuation, and syntax of the above remind you of anybody ??? :D:)

Hi, I too remember someone being upgraded to a suite because of issues from a previous P&O cruise.....no name mentioned.

kind regards, Lorraine:):)

Looks like that poster has been deleted again. Actually can I ask what they did do wrong, to get deleted?

I think it comes under the heading of "serial pest"

In their initial identity they just created havoc to the point where the I.D was deleted by the moderators.

The person keeps coming up with new I.Ds and the moderators keep deleting them.

Personally I believe everyone is entitled to a voice here but this person is their own worst enemy.

If the mods [and the rest of the forum] could believe that any future posts from that person would be within the bounds of a reasonable point of view, I'm sure everyone here would endorse the right of that person to post.

I guess its up to the poster to present that p.o.v in some future identity, show some remorse, and a willingness to change from their previous habits - then leave it up to the mods.

I for one would endorse their right to post - providing the posts respected the views of others here.

Meanwhile - back to the topic at hand. :D

Archived