UK-v US..the differences in culture?

Johnthed0g

As =X= Eclipse is sailing out of the UK (Southampton) this year, I though it may be a good idea to ask anyone who has travelled on both UK &US lines for the differences in practices/cultures to prepare the UK market.

1st thing for me is the tipping & % put on drinks.

Yes. An automatic 15% tip is added to your cocktails or wine. However, if we are seated in one of the lounges, and the same waiter is serving us multiple times, we will add an additional tip for his/her service. It is always appreciated when a waiter remembers your ordered cocktail, and just needs to asked, "One more Madam?".

I haven't sailed on a UK line yet but from looking at these boards and speaking to friends that have it appears drink prices are much more reasonable compared to RCI & CC anyway.

How about baked beans with breakfast

Please give me...

- real bacon - not crunchy streaky bacon;)

- fresh milk without having to ask for it all the time.

- afternoon tea with scones, preserves and clotted cream

- a tea pot that comes with the tea bag in it already brewing as opposed to the teabag on the side. You need boiling water to properly brew tea properly :)

Having said that whilst I am English, I avoid English cruise lines as I love to mix with people from other countries. I also think service is far better on US cruiselines.

Linda :)

How about baked beans with breakfast

Proper baked beans in tomato sauce - not those of the sweet, bbq style :)

Sorry couldn't help that one, and real sausages...

BUT, we love your US Prime Rib and fab steaks - it's the first thing my hubby looks forward to when we get on a US cruiseline.:)

BUT, we love your US Prime Rib and fab steaks - it's the first thing my hubby looks forward to when we get on a US cruiseline.:)

Shhh don't tell anyone but I'm a Brit undercover in Ireland

I agree about the US beef being better, although I would have to say that the lamb from the UK is better than ours.

I've got a question....

Since Celebrity is Anglicizing the Eclipse, I wonder if Deck 1 will be the "Ground Deck"; Deck 2 will be the First Deck; Deck 3 will be the Second Deck, etc.?

When booking English hotels, I'm never quite sure what floor my room will actually be located.

This could get confusing!! :)

I've got a question....

Since Celebrity is Anglicizing the Eclipse, I wonder if Deck 1 will be the "Ground Deck"; Deck 2 will be the First Deck; Deck 3 will be the Second Deck, etc.?

When booking English hotels, I'm never quite sure what floor my room will actually be located.

This could get confusing!! :)

Neither have I to be honest!!

All joking aside, I hope they don't anglicize it too much as I don't go on holiday (vacation:)) to eat roast beef and yorkshire pudding!:)

The only thing, that I have to doubly consider when cruising on US cruiselines is that wherever I am cruising, not only do I need to think about the currency of the ports that I am visiting, but also the USD exchange rates to cover my on board account. This can seem strange if I am cruising in Australia and New Zealand, yet need to consider USD also.

Only today, I booked some excursions for an upcoming RCCL cruise in Stockholm and had to pay in USD. Thankfully, I have spent years watching for good exchange rates and now have a USD bank account so I don't get caught out.;)

Be aware of the differences in lauguage ie: getting knocked up means something totally different in the UK than it does in the US...

Don't even start on "fags" when my wife used to smoke she got into awful trouble!! I think the minor language differences are well known but good point.

I seem to remember somewhere one thing to watch is =X= offering to convert your account for you from $US to £GB, I understand this can work out more expensive, is this right?

John - I have never done that so don't know, but I did hear the same.

We took friends on a short 3 nighter round-trip out of Southampton last Summer and I felt bad that I had pre-bought USD @ 2.00/£, but my friends were late booking and they got stung at 1.60/£ on their final card payment.:rolleyes:

Proper baked beans in tomato sauce - not those of the sweet, bbq style :)

Sorry couldn't help that one, and real sausages...

Why to brits always think their way is "proper". :D

Don't even start on "fags" when my wife used to smoke she got into awful trouble!! I think the minor language differences are well known but good point.

LOL!! Then there are suspenders, which American men use to hold their pants/trousers up...

Oh, and rubbers... An English parent horrified a teacher at our school by asking if she had a rubber she could lend...

Gosh, food???

I'd love some real back bacon, not stringy full of fat rashers that break into pieces when I try to cut them...

Decent sausages. I have lived in the US for 20 years and have yet to find a real sausage over there.

Clotted cream.... What an absolute dream...

Decent tea bags and decent sized tea pots that actually come with boiling water in them...

Malt vinegar readily available without the waiter wondering what I'm talking about....

Really, I love so much about the US but they have no idea what they're missing on the food front when it comes to taste and quality...

LOL!! Then there are suspenders, which American men use to hold their pants/trousers up...

Oh, and rubbers... An English parent horrified a teacher at our school by asking if she had a rubber she could lend...

Gosh, food???

I'd love some real back bacon, not stringy full of fat rashers that break into pieces when I try to cut them...

Decent sausages. I have lived in the US for 20 years and have yet to find a real sausage over there.

Decent tea bags and decent sized tea pots that actually come with boiling water in them...

Malt vinegar readily available without the waiter wondering what I'm talking about....

Really, I love so much about the US but they have no idea what they're missing on the food front when it comes to taste and quality...

and to think that my friends whine about the food when they visit Britain.I guess its what you are use to ,Malt vinegar is popular here.Love it on the fries,fish too

:cj

Gosh, food???

Just a matter of taste, I have been to England a number of times and the food was not the highlight of my trip. Don't even get me started on sausages, you couldn't get me near the white things in England.

I can't stand Starbucks coffee but the only place in London to get a decent cup of coffee was Starbucks...

I seem to remember somewhere one thing to watch is =X= offering to convert your account for you from $US to £GB, I understand this can work out more expensive, is this right?

As Canadians, it has been our experience on both Celebrity and Princess to charge your shipboard account in the currency of your credit card as allowing the cruiseline to do it means a higher exchange rate to the credit of the cruise company. To some extent this depends somewhat on what rate your credit card charges to convert the currency (~2 to 3%).

You can certainly check the exchange rates used by the ship once onboard and make up your mind.

Gosh, food??

Scrapchick, I don't want to make you homesick, but you can't beat bubble & squeak made from leftovers...:D

When I was a child living in Belgium, my parents would drive for 2hrs every few months, so we could stock up on English bacon, HP Sauce, Salt & Vinegar Crisps, Heinz Baked Beans and McVities Chocolate Biscuits & Mothers Pride Bread.:p

Dkjretired, I too agree we have some dreadful places that try and pass themselves off as restaurants here in the UK! Try a visit to Borough Food Market near London Bridge Tube Station next time you are in London, you will not be disappointed...;)

Just a matter of taste, I have been to England a number of times and the food was not the highlight of my trip. Don't even get me started on sausages, you couldn't get me near the white things in England.

I can't stand Starbucks coffee but the only place in London to get a decent cup of coffee was Starbucks...

All a matter of taste & where you go...which is the point of the thread, to highlight the differences & prepare those who may be venturing onto Eclipse this year. I like Costa coffee best.

Archived