Online booking "gotcha"

imaboo

Here is a potential "gotcha" to watch out for when booking online:

When I purchased my first cruise on the Elation (sailed 12/09), I did it through a TA because I wasn't sure what to expect - having never cruised before. The second time around, I decided to take advantage of the ES offering and booked the cruise myself via Carnival.com. I overlooked a crucial question during the booking process. Somewhere along the line, I was asked if I was working with a TA. The default answer was "yes" because the system saw my last booking and assumed I wanted the same TA again.

When I called Carnival today to make a payment, the lady asked me for my IATA (I think that's what she called it) number. I said "what's that?". That's where the fun started. After being on hold for about 20 minutes while she played Sherlock Holmes, it was determined that now I have to get my TA to fax a release to Carnival so that I can manage the booking myself. *sigh*.

So now the question to you smart/experienced people out there - did I muck up my ES benefit (e.g. rate reductions, OBC) by doing this?

See if the TA will release the booking, since she didnt book it, she has no right to it.

If not, make sure the TA will process any price reductions at NO FEE. If they say there is a fee .. then Id call Carnival and demand they fix it...

Carnival's computer expertise is not very good to say the least.

See if the TA will release the booking, since she didnt book it, she has no right to it.

If not, make sure the TA will process any price reductions at NO FEE. If they say there is a fee .. then Id call Carnival and demand they fix it...

Carnival's computer expertise is not very good to say the least.

Yup - I will call her on Monday. I don't expect any problems that way.

I'm more concerned about what happens after it is transferred back to Carnival. I would be really disappointed if it is no longer considered an ES booking. Guess I'll find out soon enough ;)

I don't see this as a "gotcha". You admitted that you overlooked the question. Always make sure everything is correct before you get to the payment part. Hopefully your TA willl release the booking.

Yup. The "gotcha" part was meant as an emphasis for others who read this to not accidentally do the same thing I did. Kind of like a "watch your step" sign on a staircase ;)

I don't think this will void your ESA. Usually, the rate for the ESA is lower than other rates, so as long as you are paying the lower rates, I am sure your ESA will stand. Also, I am sure that Carnival will want to keep the ESA rate because if you cancel, they keep your money.

Good luck and if you have no problem with the TA, why not leave it there. Just be sure, he/she has no cancellation policy and that there is no fee to lower the rate if Carnival's rate goes down. If he/she doesn't agree, then I would change it.

I know that usually I don't book online, but the PVP I use asks me if I want to transfer to a TA and I say no, so the booking remains with Carnival until I decide which agency I will use.

Good luck.

It will still be under the ES rate. I currently have ES bookings. One held directly with Carnival booked with PVP, one booked with PVP and transferred to my TA and one I just booked on myself on carnival.com.

Doesn't matter who holds the booking, TA or Carnival. It will still be ES.

Archived