So how old is too old?

jp45atcc

There seems to be a trend toward senior bashing (or disparaging, at least) on Cruise Critic. What gives? I'll say up front that I'm 64 and blessed with good health. Not everyone, younger or older, is in that category. I'm glad, too, when I see others in the position to enjoy cruising. I've marveled at some of the people, with many years on me, who take in every element of cruising, hardly the types with one foot in the grave and another on a banana peel. I can understand younger cruises' wanting to be among similarly-aged people. Some cruises clearly aren't going to offer that, so that means checking on the typical clientele before booking. On our last cruise, an 80-year-old woman was the life of our shore outing, and an 82-year-old woman in the spa illustrated her jumping-jack routine. She let us in on a secret, though: She dies her hair. There's a lot to be admired here.

Personally, I don't understand the whole issue with the age of Celebrity cruisers... I am 30, and never even noticed onboard that the age group was older. These boards are the only place that I've heard any complaints. Any cruise will be as fun as you make it... I don't really get why it matters how old everyone else is... I would rather be on board with a fun "older" crowd than a crowd of 18-year-olds. But maybe that's just me.

My adult children and I went on a 14 day PC cruise last year. The children (ages 26 and 32) were very worried that the ship would be full of *old* people, and that there would be nothing for them to do onboard. The ship was not full of *old* people,and the children in fact had a wonderful time. (We also only had 5 children on board olf which we only saw two of them).

As for *old* people bashing... give it up folks. Many of us *oldsters* could likely out do you!

When I was younger I liked hanging out with the *older* crowd a you gained so much knowledge from them. Maybe that is a thing of the past now.:(

<------ A senior citzen acording to cruise lines but not to SSI <G>

I'm afraid I disagree - I've seen a lot more bashing of kids (already here) then bashing us geezers.

Personally, what I see is as 'old people' are the ones who sit around complaining and bitching no matter the true age.

Denny

There seems to be a trend toward senior bashing (or disparaging, at least) on Cruise Critic.

Sorry, but I haven't noticed such a problem. I'm 60 and I would have picked up on this alleged trend if there was one. I think Celebrity forum members are quite civil on the age issue. But don't get them started on the topic of religious services, dress code, tipping, pre-payments, etc. :)

On a Hawaii Cruise last year (Mercury), our tablemates included an 83 year-old and his niece, from Ireland (They went to great pains to explain she really was his niece). He had retired from a career on stage, and the biggest problem any of us had with his age is we couldn't keep up with him either metally or physically. If he wasn't keeping us in stitches with stories at the table, he and his niece were leaving a little early since they were finalists in the dance competition.

We've learned the age of your fellow passengers isn't critical; but now we know watch out for 83 year-old Irishmen - they make you look old.

Harris

Denver, CO

I find it interesting that people on a Celebrity board would be bashing Seniors. It would be the same as doing it on HAL. Both are catered to "seasoned folks". I've read on other boards where people fuss about the number of walkers and wheel chairs. Next time they should find something that suits them. Same thing goes for those who want to avoid kids. There are plenty of other cruise ships to try that market to specific tastes.

Sorry, but I haven't noticed such a problem. I'm 60 and I would have picked up on this alleged trend if there was one. I think Celebrity forum members are quite civil on the age issue. But don't get them started on the topic of religious services, dress code, tipping, pre-payments, etc. :)

My thoughts exactly.

I have never seen it either...family with kids bashing is much more prevalent... at least on this board

Doesnt stop me from cruising! In fact, on our last cruise many "older" cruisers stopped and complimented my children on numerous occasions, and said that we changed their opinion of how children could behave on a trip...

We also bring my inlaws with us.. so we have all 3 generations covered!! Let the bashing begin..LOL

So I say ignore bashers of all types.. find the cruise you want.. and go have fun!!!

One thing I HAVE noticed is how many times people with children post saying how well behaved & quiet their kids are & how often they are complimented on this, someone must have the out of control, shrieking, ill mannered little monsters!!

You are absolutely right.. and those few give the rest a bad name.

DH and I took our 7yr old and 2 year old on our first cruise aboard the Premier Big Red Boat late 90s. While doing life boat drill, met two of the most lively 80 year old women who lived in the Canaveral area and were season cruises. Oldest daughter started getting seasick as we pulled out of port. These two dear ladies kept her so entertained she forgot about the motion. We saw them many times after that chance encounter and my two daughters fell in love with these ladies. We communicated with them up until each of their deaths for years to come. We made friends for life (truly) despite the 75 year age difference).

DH and I took our 7yr old and 2 year old on our first cruise aboard the Premier Big Red Boat late 90s. While doing life boat drill, met two of the most lively 80 year old women who lived in the Canaveral area and were season cruises. Oldest daughter started getting seasick as we pulled out of port. These two dear ladies kept her so entertained she forgot about the motion. We saw them many times after that chance encounter and my two daughters fell in love with these ladies. We communicated with them up until each of their deaths for years to come. We made friends for life (truly) despite the 75 year age difference).

That is a great story... IMHO that is what travel is about- sharing new experiences with my family- different countires, different cultures, people of different ages, and different opinions... learning from them.. as well as learning to respect those differences....We all come back enriched in one way or another.. yours is a perfect example.

My husband and I, when in our early 50's, cruised on an ACCL ship down the coast of Belize. It was a water oriented trip and most stops allowed for swimming and snorkeling.

When it was time to go ashore, we learned not to get in the way of some of the 'old' people as they rushed into the water with their snorkeling equipment.

All my husband and I could say was that we hoped we were like that when we were 'old'

Personally, I don't understand the whole issue with the age of Celebrity cruisers... I am 30, and never even noticed onboard that the age group was older. These boards are the only place that I've heard any complaints. Any cruise will be as fun as you make it... I don't really get why it matters how old everyone else is... I would rather be on board with a fun "older" crowd than a crowd of 18-year-olds. But maybe that's just me.

No, I'ts not just you. I'm 29 and always tought that Celebrity attracts very nice and interesting passengers. Age doesen't matter.

I’ll be bringing my mom on a cruise in May as a treat for her 80th birthday. She is more excited than I’ve seen her in a long time. She may be a little slow moving, and I have run into that on some ships. There may even be an occasional walker or aid used by some to elders, but everyone just has to remember to slow down and be patient. I mean we are on a cruise... take it easy and relax. There is no need to hurry. But just don’t get in my mom’s way when BINGO is about to begin. LOL. I sure hope she wins on this cruise.

Our most favorite dinner companions are typically the older couples we meet when dining on board. They have taught me many a tip on cruising as well as in life. In the buffet, we will go out of our way to join a table with an older couple if possible. We have better memories of the friends we have met on board than of the ports we visited. However, I have learned it is best to stay away from touchy subjects like formal night attire and ship finances.

When you see a member of these many year retired folks on board, do not be hesitant to hold the door open, and make sure to share a smile and a “hello”. The little things like this CAN make their day a whole lot better.

Archived