Pharoahs and the Promised Land

What currency is everyone thinking of taking for Syria??? does anyone know if they accept dollars or euros ?? apparently the Syrian pound is a closed currency so can't get any before we go....we're thinking that if we go on a ships trip (which we plan to) we would only need some for any souvenirs we see... so perhaps they will take anything like the Egyptians do ?? what are others thoughts on this? :confused:

Jenny Wren

We haven't given it much thought about what money to take. We are planning to take the ships tours in Syria and Isreal and maybe Alexandria (not planned anything for Port Siad so maybe staying onboard),so might not need much local money. Will be using Euros for our week in Paphos and we still have some Eygptian money left from last year so might not worry too much as like you said they may take anything like the Eygptians.

Only got 4 weeks to think about it!!

Hi there Cruise Anorak...I think we'll just take Euros (which like you we need for Cyprus) and I'm sure we've got some Egyptian currency leftovers as well...in an emergency we could always change some on the ship but I think we'll be OK.

We've only got 3 weeks as our hotel stay is before not after !!!! Yippee !!:D

Jenny Wren

What hotel are you staying in? We are booked into the Ledra Beach,but on their website they closed in Dec'09 for a 3 months refit and due to reopen on 3rd March.We haven't heard anything about the refit from Thomsons so hoping it's open and not a building site.

Decided to do cruise then stay afterwards as we thought that after a busy week on the cruise (late nights in the show bar and early mornings for the trips),that we would have a quieter week in Cyprus afterwards.

Have you received your tickets yet? Read on another site someone has received theirs.

Received our tickets on Saturday.

Approx how much currency will we need for each country, we only have about 100 Euros left from last years holiday. We have never been on a cruise before so not sure what to take. We will be doing booked excursions in each country, but will be hopefully buying souvenirs.

Judy

Jenny Wren

What hotel are you staying in? We are booked into the Ledra Beach,but on their website they closed in Dec'09 for a 3 months refit and due to reopen on 3rd March.We haven't heard anything about the refit from Thomsons so hoping it's open and not a building site.

Decided to do cruise then stay afterwards as we thought that after a busy week on the cruise (late nights in the show bar and early mornings for the trips),that we would have a quieter week in Cyprus afterwards.

Have you received your tickets yet? Read on another site someone has received theirs.

Yes we're staying at the Ledra Beach as well so hope it is ready when we arrive !!!!! I might just check with Thomson before we go as we arrive on 3 March...no we haven't received our tickets yet...not worried tho' as we have picked them up from the airport before when they didn't arrive in time.

Received our tickets on Saturday.

Approx how much currency will we need for each country, we only have about 100 Euros left from last years holiday. We have never been on a cruise before so not sure what to take. We will be doing booked excursions in each country, but will be hopefully buying souvenirs.

Judy

We find we never spend much at all....you won't need any cash on board the ship or for the excursions which will be charged to your on board account which is usually charged to your credit card (although you can pay in cash if you want).....so its just for souvenirs and coffees etc at the airport....we usually take 100 euros each and then keep whats left for the next holiday!!:)

I booked mine on line via Thomas cook, have heard nothing re tickets from them yet, will also want to check my baggage allowance with them, although its a Thomson Holiday and flight, was wondering if it will be Thomas Cook luggage allowance which is normally less.:eek:

Have just rung Thomas Cook, tickets sent 7/10 days prior to cruise, baggage allowance Thompsons, 20kg Hold, Cabin5Kg.

I booked mine on line via Thomas cook, have heard nothing re tickets from them yet, will also want to check my baggage allowance with them, although its a Thomson Holiday and flight, was wondering if it will be Thomas Cook luggage allowance which is normally less.:eek:

Have just rung Thomas Cook, tickets sent 7/10 days prior to cruise, baggage allowance Thompsons, 20kg Hold, Cabin5Kg.

Hi-we are on the pharoahs cruise but the week earlier(3rd March)

I've got my flight tickets (Manchester to Paphos) Thomson flight and the hold allowance is 23kgs-not sure why yours is less?

Crocsaway

Looking at Thomson website I'm sure its 23KG, I think when you ring up they don't really know the answer. I went and enquired at the local Thomson T/A and the young girl first said it was 15kg, and then 20Kg, and it was obvious listening to her, she did not have a clue.

When I asked the guy at Thomas cook, what was the max size of the cabin bag, he referred me to the framework cage at the airport, if your bag fits in its OK. Could not be bothered to tell him, by that time it would be a bit too late if it did not fit.:eek:

I'm working on 23kg and 5Kg Cabin, Max size Cabin Bag 55 x 40 x 25cm Thomson size.

Crocsaway

Looking at Thomson website I'm sure its 23KG, I think when you ring up they don't really know the answer. I went and enquired at the local Thomson T/A and the young girl first said it was 15kg, and then 20Kg, and it was obvious listening to her, she did not have a clue.

When I asked the guy at Thomas cook, what was the max size of the cabin bag, he referred me to the framework cage at the airport, if your bag fits in its OK. Could not be bothered to tell him, by that time it would be a bit too late if it did not fit.:eek:

I'm working on 23kg and 5Kg Cabin, Max size Cabin Bag 55 x 40 x 25cm Thomson size.

Hi, you are right on the cabin weights and sizes. But the Thomson website says at present 20kg allowance for standard passengers. http://www.thomson.co.uk/editorial/legal/baggage-allowance.html

Have a great time all of you.

Berwyn

Fom the brochure it says

''From May 09 for all destinations the maximum allowance will be 23kg in the hold and 7 kgs in the cabin. This applies to thomson airways flights only''

so its a total of 30 kgs 23 in the hold and 7 hand luggage 55 x 45 x 25 is the size they give (quite a bit bigger than thomas cook flights)

Hi This is the first time I have used this so hopefully it will work, We are going on this cruise on the 14th April and instead of stopping at Ashod, for 2 days we are docking in Haifa, does anyone know if we can still do an excursion with Thomson to Jerusalem, as it seems alot further away than Asdod.

Hi This is the first time I have used this so hopefully it will work, We are going on this cruise on the 14th April and instead of stopping at Ashod, for 2 days we are docking in Haifa, does anyone know if we can still do an excursion with Thomson to Jerusalem, as it seems alot further away than Asdod.

Click on the following link on the Thomson Website and you will see a list of Excursions from Haifa, which include Jerusalem.

http://www.thomson.co.uk/cruise/itineraries/pharaohs-and-the-promised-land-b-itinerary.html

Its strange, rang Thomas Cook yesterday re my tickets, and was informed they will arrive 7/10 days before cruise - They arrived this morning, fantastic.

We are flying Thomson from Stanstead, and under the heading checked luggage at the back of our Travel Documents and Personal guide, it states Baggage allowance is mentioned on your flight ticket page, and on ours it states 23Kg, it could be different if flying by a different carrier.

It also states cabin baggage is restricted to one small item of cabin baggage per person, subject to space available Max Weight 7Kg, Maximum size 55 x 40 x 20cm

List of excursions from Ashdod click the following link

http://www.thomson.co.uk/cruise/itineraries/pharaohs-and-the-promised-land-itinerary.html

We are hoping to be on this cruise, my parents already booked for my mums 60th. I have a meeting today to beg my unsympathetic boss to allow me to double book the same time off as another colleague.

I feel a bit mean really begging for this because even if he says yes, I have an interview next week for my dream job and I may have to give a weeks notice instead. shame! not!:D

Cruise Anorak- maybe this time we may meet up!

As for Syrian currency yes they take most monies.

Archived