Pharoahs and the Promised Land

Yes we noticed that about Syria and the Israeli stamps in passports....so rang thomson Duty Officer who said not to worry ...if you are going on an organised excursion there will be a group visa and it will be OK....however we shall check on board before booking the excursion as OH has an Israeli stamp...I've got a new passport so mines gone !!!

We're getting very excited now. I quite enjoy the build up to a holiday as it lasts longer than the break its self!

Even my husband is excited now as I have been shopping for him today.

He said that it didn't feel like we were going on a holiday as I hadn't brought him new pants and socks! I pointed out that he is a spoiled brat as we had a lovely cruise on the Celebration only last Nov/Dec and he had new ones then.

He pointed out that he would be more excited if I brought him new ones anyway, so today I did. I have told him they are designer! I have cut the the labels out and said that I saw some nice Gucci ones and he thinks that what he has. Ha Ha. I just hope he doesn't need to pop into mens clothing in ASDA anytime soon. :D:D:D

Jenny Wren and Cruise Anorak--- no my boss wasn't feeling generous I just caught him on the hop. I just wish that I knew the outcome of an interview that I went for last week. If I passed the interview then next will be a medical and I would prefer to be weighed before the cruise rather that after. (We have the drinks package!)

It is my mums 60th while were are away and that was the reason for this trip, we will actually be docked for Jerusalem that day, should be a special place to celebrate her birthday.

is anyone not going to the pyramids and thinking of doing something else that day. We went in Nov and had a great time, We didn't have too much hassle. But we don't need to go again so soon, thought about doing something more local maybe for 1/2 day, any suggestions!:confused:

Hi there yesme....Hope its good news from the interview !!

We have done the trip to El Alamein from Alexandria in the past, because we'd already been to the Pyramids, I was particularly interested as both my parents were nurses in that area during the war...It was a very moving experience seeing the war cemetery....kept absolutely spotless it is a very beautiful place. There is also quite a good museum very close by which explains the details of the battles. I suppose if you have no connections or interest in the history side of it then it would be boring!!!

We are thinking of doing the Greek and Roman Alexandria half day tour as there is alot to see here......can't decide between that or the Memphis, Pyramids and the tombs of Cairo trip which takes you to Sakkara and the Step pyramid.

I did laugh about the ASDA pants and socks !!!! I have several items of their designer range GEORGE! :D:D

We're off to Truro tomorrow for some last minute bits and pieces as we're off to Paphos on Wednesday (staying overnight Tuesday at Exeter services Travelodge in case it snows !!)

Sorry yesme, last post was for you!!

Jenny Wren, Check out the mosaics in Paphos, we also went to the monestary up in the mountains, together with trip to tomb of Archbishop Makarias. Hire of car is good, they drive on the same side as us. Bon Voyage and see you onboard!!

Yesme & Jenny Wren

It must be a holiday thing as I have bought new underwear for the pair of us.Only got new ones for our cruise in Nov'09!

We have had a look at some of the trips offered and are looking at doing El Alamein in Alexandria as we did Cairo while on the Celebration last Nov,also hubby is very interested in anything to do with the war. I think Port Said we might stay on board. In Israel we want to go to Jerusalem & Bethleham. Not sure what to do in Syria.

We got the drinks package free when we booked so hoping it's as good as the last one.Champange cocktails were great before dinner!

I am waiting now for Sodemall to remind me to pack the Toilet Packs! After reading and then experiencing local and bus amenities Sodemall made each family a kit consisting of disposable toilet seat covers, tissues, wet wipes and anti bac hand spray, to put on the seat and hands. They came in very useful on our trip to Cairo last Nov.:o

Sodemall-- Toilet pack is found and ready to go. Don't forget to bring Jeffery with you. And I think Dad should have new pants as well. :D

Jenny Wren--- that's a hell of a drive to Exeter you have given yourself. Its going to take you all of 1 hour 20! An example of small world- I play in the Brass Band in your next village twice a week, I bet we both know certain people, I will quiz you. Is it your panto week next week?

Staying the night before locally when you live fairly close is something that we discuss every time we book a holiday. My DH would sleep at the Airport on the seats there if he could. We once, while staying in London at my sisters house, were woken at 1.30am by my DH who was fully dressed. He wanted to leave there and then for the airport which was a 45min drive away, best to be safe he said. The flight was due to leave at 11.30am.

Both DH and Sodemall have sure that we have arrived at Departures in Gatwick at least 4 hours before our flight on several occasions. Bear in mind that we have stayed on the Hilton Hotel on Gatwick Airport and checked in the luggage the night before. Just in case!

Cruise Anorak and Lego girl how far do you have travel for your flight?

Sodemall......Yes we intend hiring a car in Paphos...have got the map of Cyprus out so we won't get lost! We went to the monastery in the mountains on our last cruise stop in Limassol so don't need to do that one! But the mosaics sound good.

Yesme....We got the Travelodge for £32 so thought we could go into Exeter and shop a bit in the afternoon, havent been for ages, and I was a bit jittery because of the snow still around.....so thought we'd play safe.

We've only lived here for 18 months or so.....although I was brought up in Padstow ....and lived in Hampshire all my adult life until 2001 when we retired (very early!!) to Wadebridge... back to Hampshire for two years but missed Cornwall too much so came back !!

I've been ironing t shirts and shorts all afternoon so hope its going to be nice and warm !:cool:

We are very spoilt, flying from Luton and live on top, more or less, on the M1 :)

I did take my own toilet sheets last year to Cairo, and ani-bac'ed the toilet seat, but the toilets were fine. Wish I had had them with me in the Star Wars hotel in Tunisia a few months back :(

Yes we intend hiring a car in Paphos...have got the map of Cyprus out so we won't get lost!

This may be too late for JennyWren but there is currently an island-wide strike by petrol stations. It's isn't clear when this will end, it started yesterday and was due to last for 8 days, but is currently impacting road travel on the island.

I've posted a current summary on the Greece board here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1150457

Mands

Yesme

We are about an hour away from Gatwick,but are going up the day before and staying at the Sofitel (paid for using airmiles).We did this back in Nov and we also checked the luggage in the night before and it was great not having to queue in the morning at check in,just going straight through to security.Hopefully we can check in the night before again.

Mands&Ian

Whats the weather like in Cyprus at the moment,we are coming your way in a couple of weeks-hope it's warm and sunny as it's raining and cold here.

Jenny Wren

Where in Hants did you live? We are in Petersfield about 20 miles north of Portsmouth.

Yesme

We are about an hour away from Gatwick,but are going up the day before and staying at the Sofitel (paid for using airmiles).We did this back in Nov and we also checked the luggage in the night before and it was great not having to queue in the morning at check in,just going straight through to security.Hopefully we can check in the night before again.

We travelled from Gatwick at the beginning of the month and the express check-in was available then (from midday to 10pm, I think). We arrived about 5pm (like you journeyed up the day before to be sure), walked straight up to the check-in desk, got our boarding cards and told to come back by 07.45 the next day for a 09.05 flight. It's BRILLIANT isn't it? Just a pity it's not widely available at all regional airports too although if we're lucky enough to get local departures, there aren't the queues you get at Gatwick.

Jenny Wren

Where in Hants did you live? We are in Petersfield about 20 miles north of Portsmouth.

I lived in Gosport for 27 years and then more recently Funtley north of Fareham for two years......I was also based at HMS Mercury (now closed)not far from you with the Royal Navy in the sixties.!!

Ooooh thanks for that Mands....will see what the situation is before we book a car then!

Good plan; it may all be over by the time you arrive, or you may find a car hire place that will rent you one with a full tank of petrol. Then you'd be able to do some driving at least. I think the rule of thumb is that you should get somewhere in the region of 300 miles from a tank.

Hope you have a great time, whatever you end up doing.

Mands

Mands&Ian

Whats the weather like in Cyprus at the moment,we are coming your way in a couple of weeks-hope it's warm and sunny as it's raining and cold here.

February really is *the* most variable of all the months. Seeing all four seasons during a week isn't that unusual.

Today it is cool and grey and overcast. Heavy rain and thunder and lightning are due pretty soon. The weather front that is bringing that is due to last until the end of the weekend. Then clear skies and sun are forecast, which is what we had last week.

It has been unseasonably warm, after being unseasonably cold and wet in January, so you could get some great weather.

Last week I was pottering in the garden in light trousers and a skimpy t-shirt and feeling quite warm. Not sunbathing weather but more than warm enough to sit outside and enjoy the sun on the skin and top up the vitamin D.

Mands

Good plan; it may all be over by the time you arrive, or you may find a car hire place that will rent you one with a full tank of petrol. Then you'd be able to do some driving at least. I think the rule of thumb is that you should get somewhere in the region of 300 miles from a tank.

Hope you have a great time, whatever you end up doing.

Mands

Mands & Ian,

Have been reading your blog, which I find very interesting, I see you say today, that there is no petrol in Pathos due to the petrol strike.

How will that affect the coaches that are due to take the Cruise passengers from Pathos airport to the port at Limassol to pick up Thomson Spirit.

The strike may be over by the 10th March when we fly out, but just wondered, in case it is not.

Archived