BWI airport in MD closing at 3pm today!

ntengwall

I just heard that they are closing BWI airport today at 3pm! I am assuming that it will remain closed for at least the next day and possibly the day after (Thurs and Friday). I hope anyone flying in or out for their cruises are able to make it!!

My daughter's friend is a ground operations person at BWI. According to her, BWI never closes. The airport may need to suspend flight operations while a runway is cleared but the airport itself is not closed.

BWI currently has runways available for flight operations. Southwest Airlines decided to stop all flights into BWI as of 3 PM today. One other airline (American?, not sure) has also suspended flights starting this afternoon.

However, the airport is not closed and, at this point, if an airline wishes to operate flights into and out of BWI, they can do so.

Yes, BWI suspended flight operation from Sunday to Monday to clear a runway and ramps. To the lay person (including the governor), to say the airport is "closed" is easier than explaining that flight operation has been temporarily suspended. From Sunday to Monday, the airport facility itself was open and operating. It was fully staffed with ground and flight control personnel.

I just at some traffic cameras in the Baltimore area. It's not even snowing and the roads are clear. I can't believe they would close it "just in case" it snows. I would hope they would keep it open as long as they can keep runways clear.

Normally I would agree. What the airlines may be doing, however, is trying to get their airplanes out of the predicted snow. What that picture of the clear streets doesn't show is that it is starting to snow and 12 inches is expected overnight and up to 20-25 inches expected though they are backing off some of the highest amounts. This is what they did overthe weekend.

All I know is that when I called BWI on Saturday to see if my parent's flight was canceled, the lady I spoke to said that the airport was "shut down" and NO flights would be going out or coming in for that day and the day after." To me, that might as well mean that an airport is "closed" LOL Yeah, there might be crew working there but no flights in or out means a non-functioning airport.

My daughter's friend is a ground operations person at BWI. According to her, BWI never closes. The airport may need to suspend flight operations while a runway is cleared but the airport itself is not closed.

BWI currently has runways available for flight operations. Southwest Airlines decided to stop all flights into BWI as of 3 PM today. One other airline (American?, not sure) has also suspended flights starting this afternoon.

However, the airport is not closed and, at this point, if an airline wishes to operate flights into and out of BWI, they can do so.

So "suspending flight operations" does not mean the airport is "closed"? I'm sure that is a great comfort to all those whose flights are canceled. I recall times in which BWI flight operations were "suspended" for three days - I don't care if there are people at BWI, no operations for three days equals CLOSED to any rational person.

Thom

Archived