(bit of a long winded) Review on Sinfonia - Livorno to Durban Oct-Nov 2009

AmoMondo

thanks for posting. I enjoyed reading your review. I can't believe people staged a sit in at disembarkation- what on earth did they think they were going to accomplish? What a way to ruin their holiday- because they didn't think they got everything they were entitled to....

I'm curious- I think the cruise before this for you was the Fantasia- how was switching to a smaller ship?

Amo, I enjoyed your review very much. That is a cruise I would like to take some day. Glad to hear that you were able to get it with the single supplement waived, and that MSC made a nice effort to appease you regarding the currency issue. I cruise both MSC and Costa but I'm beginning to like MSC more.

thanks for posting. I enjoyed reading your review. I can't believe people staged a sit in at disembarkation- what on earth did they think they were going to accomplish? What a way to ruin their holiday- because they didn't think they got everything they were entitled to....

I'm curious- I think the cruise before this for you was the Fantasia- how was switching to a smaller ship?

Actually, the Fantasia was my first and only experience of a bigger 9enormous) ship. Sinfonia is pretty much the same as the Opera and Lirica that I've cruised on previously, but my first impression waiting to board and when I got onboard was how small it seemed and not so glitzy (others were raving about ho beautiful it was). That said, i did the fantasia with a friend, so loved it. Not so sure I'd have felt the same if I'd be on a long journey on my own. Suree I like all the extra frills but there is something so much more friendlier about the smaller ships and that was really a big factor on the Durban trip

Hi A M

Even though I am going on a different Ship, I checked out your review and found it interesting and informative, what tips have you got for a first timer like me. Thanks

J

Thanks Jane

Without being too long winded

- go with an open mind and be prepared to enjoy yourself

- go to the embarkation talk that will be held on the first day - it will give you a chance to meet other English speaking passengers, the English Host and learn the ropes of ship life

- don't waste space in your luggage packing beac towels (I did on my first cruise) - they provide them at the pool and for going ashore

- always read the daily programme - it tells you all the stuff that is on the next day, where and when, as well as dress code for dinner and the cocktail of the day!

- definitely go to the shows - one of their really strong points

- make sure you have the toiletries you like with you - they have a shop with basics but not much of a selection and very expensive

-the ship is a cashless society, so take a small handbag/evening bag with you as you won't be needing to cart as much stuff around with you in the evenings as you would on a conventoinal holiday - but avoid one with a magnetised fastener as it demagnitises your cruise card and will mean you can't get in to your cabin and will have to trail doen to reception to get it fixed

-Most importantly - have a blast!

Mairi:)

Was delighted to come across your review on your MSC cruise to South Africa.

As you'd said it was "long winded", I made a cup of tea, because I knew I was in for a treat, reading your review.

Thanks so much for taking the time to go into so much detail, which will be of invaluable assistance to anyone planning a similar trip, plus anyone cruising on MSC for the first time.

Pleased you received a good response from MSC to your valid written complaint.

You are a gem, Mairi.

Thanks Mairi, particularly looking forward to cocktail of the day! I was wondering about the compulsary service charge they add to your bill. Do you just pay this and not worry about giving extra tips?

Ah you're a woman after my own heart!

I always leave the service charge on my account (although technically you can increase, decrease or remove it by filling in a form at the Accounts Desk). I also usually tip a bit extra in cash to anyone that I come in to contact with a lot and have looked after me well ( cabin steward, or waiter or sometimes a bar men - especially the ones that save me a seat at the bar and have my drink lined up for me as I walk in!) You don't have to do that though, it is up to you. If you do decide to tip a bit extra to someone, you don't do it during the cruise (you don't carry cash around with you onboard), hand it out on the last evening.

Was delighted to come across your review on your MSC cruise to South Africa.

As you'd said it was "long winded", I made a cup of tea, because I knew I was in for a treat, reading your review.

Thanks so much for taking the time to go into so much detail, which will be of invaluable assistance to anyone planning a similar trip, plus anyone cruising on MSC for the first time.

Pleased you received a good response from MSC to your valid written complaint.

You are a gem, Mairi.

Thanks marion

I always think that a calm rational letter of complaint without being hysterical or widely exaggerating the situation usually works just fine. In fact i was just contacted by them again to offer me a plcae on the pre Christening do on the new Magnifica at the end of the month in Southampton. It was only 1 night but it was in a Yacht Club suite and I'm absolutely gutted that with work commitments, I had to decline!

Thanks marion

In fact i was just contacted by them again to offer me a plcae on the pre Christening do on the new Magnifica at the end of the month in Southampton. It was only 1 night but it was in a Yacht Club suite and I'm absolutely gutted that with work commitments, I had to decline!

What a pity, Mairi.

Archived