Cuban alcohol

mnguy8411

Hello All,

I'll be on the Liberty in March, and as part of the cruise I'd like to bring some local liquor with me back home from each port. Also, I've been eyeing a few Cuban rums to bring with as well (I know it isn't legal to bring back into the States, but I figure it's worth a shot). I understand that customs will confiscate it if they find I have it at the airport in Miami, which is fine, but I was wondering if the ship itself actually cares that you have it with you? I have no problem surrendering the booze to the ship after I come back from a port for safekeeping, but I'm worried they won't give it back to me at the end of the cruise like they usually do. Anybody have experience with this type of thing? Thanks!

The cruise line probably doesn't care, however if the ship knowingly permitted the banned product to be landed in the US (as in delivering it to the passenger) who knows what regulation/law they could be violating. All it would take is some over zealous agent to give the cruise line a huge headache they don't need.

I'm from the government and I'm here to help you..........;):rolleyes:!

Cruise line is not an agent for the government. They don't have a need to verify what's legal or not to bring back with you. What if you're not an American and live outside of US? Only American citizens and US residents are prohibited from purchasing Cuban stuff. The cruise line is not going to start checking who is/is not allowed to have Cuban items. Thus you have nothing to worry about in that department.

That said, in my extensive travels in the last 9 years I always brought a box of Cuban cigars as a gift for a good friend of mine and occasionally a bottle of rum for myself. When I did get a secondary customs search and they saw the box of cigars or the bottle of rum the US customs officer just "pretended" they didn't know it was Cuban and never questioned it. I assume if my suitcase was full of cigar boxes or bottles of rum then perhaps they may have had an issue with me but just one of each never even raised an eyebrow.

Cruise line is not an agent for the government. They don't have a need to verify what's legal or not to bring back with you. What if you're not an American and live outside of US? Only American citizens and US residents are prohibited from purchasing Cuban stuff. The cruise line is not going to start checking who is/is not allowed to have Cuban items. Thus you have nothing to worry about in that department.

This isn't entirely accurate. U.S. Customs apply to all persons entering the U.S., not just citizens. Cuban products can not be introduced in to the U.S. by anyone (according to the law...of course, CBP agents differ in their individual tolerance).

As for the cruise line not being an agent for the government - that is exactly why they could be fined. I emphasize could because it is possible, but not likely.

To the OP - you already know that the rum can be confiscated, so no need harping on that. One thing you should be aware of, is the possibility of a monetary fine being imposed on you. I'd say it isn't likely, but just be aware it's possible.

This isn't entirely accurate. U.S. Customs apply to all persons entering the U.S., not just citizens. Cuban products can not be introduced in to the U.S. by anyone (according to the law...of course, CBP agents differ in their individual tolerance).

As for the cruise line not being an agent for the government - that is exactly why they could be fined. I emphasize could because it is possible, but not likely.

To the OP - you already know that the rum can be confiscated, so no need harping on that. One thing you should be aware of, is the possibility of a monetary fine being imposed on you. I'd say it isn't likely, but just be aware it's possible.

Not true. US has an economic embargo on Cuba. That means that unless a US citizen, resident or Cuban American got an exemption from the Treasury department to travel to Cuba, they cannot buy anything Cuban made, regardless where it was purchased.

OTOH, a citizen of a any other country just connecting through US to get home will have no issues with US customs even if they had a suitcase full of Cuban cigars as long as they don't introduce Cuban products to US market.

Thank you everyone, you've all been really helpful!

Since it would only be one bottle maximum, I figured that a mere confiscation would be my punishment if I were to be caught out at the airport. I can't imagine there aren't certain people that do this sort of thing nearly every week and get through just fine. In fact, it's mostly just to share with some friends who may never get the chance to taste real Cuban rum (Havana Club is actually the exact brand I've had my eye on). Again, thanks to everyone for their input.

Not true. US has an economic embargo on Cuba. That means that unless a US citizen, resident or Cuban American got an exemption from the Treasury department to travel to Cuba, they cannot buy anything Cuban made, regardless where it was purchased.

OTOH, a citizen of a any other country just connecting through US to get home will have no issues with US customs even if they had a suitcase full of Cuban cigars as long as they don't introduce Cuban products to US market.

Sorry...but you are giving very bad info here. U.S. Customs apply to everyone. It does not matter what nation you are a citizen of. All persons have to clear Customs. It does not matter if they are U.S. citizens or if they are foreigners only going to the airport. U.S. Customs forbid the entry of Cuban made products.

The only exemption is persons travelling on official State Department business. And even that requires special circumstances.

Sorry...but you are giving very bad info here. U.S. Customs apply to everyone. It does not matter what nation you are a citizen of. All persons have to clear Customs. It does not matter if they are U.S. citizens or if they are foreigners only going to the airport. U.S. Customs forbid the entry of Cuban made products.

The only exemption is persons travelling on official State Department business. And even that requires special circumstances.

well we have to agree to disagree on this subject....

There is a total ban on the importation into the United States of Cuban-origin cigars and other Cuban-origin tobacco products. This prohibition extends to such products acquired in Cuba, irrespective of whether a traveler is licensed by Office of Foreign Asset Controls (OFAC) to engage in Cuba travel-related transactions, and to such products acquired in third countries by any U.S. Traveler, including purchases at duty-free shops. Contrary to what many people may believe, it is illegal for travelers to bring into the United States Cuban cigars acquired in third countries, such as Canada, United Kingdom, or Mexico.

bring into is the very important part. A Canadian citizen flying home with a connection in US has nothing to fear.

bring into is the very important part. A Canadian citizen flying home with a connection in US has nothing to fear.

Negative. Listen....I work in this career field (not CBP, but similar). I know what I am talking about. This is straight from the www.cbp.gov website:

No. According to the Office of Foreign Assets Control, foreign nationals may not transit the U.S. with goods of Cuban origin. Penalties include forfeiture of the cigars and possible fines.

https://help.cbp.gov/cgi-bin/customs.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=770&p_created=1080315516&p_sid=dh5LZbUj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_srch=1&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9NSw1JnBfcHJvZHM9JnBfY2F0cz0mcF9wdj0mcF9jdj0mcF9wYWdlPTEmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD1jdWJhbg!!&p_li=&p_topview=1

I was a Customs inspector for many years. Since the integration with INS, I became an agent for ICE. Paul is 100% correct in what he is telling you. It is illegal for anyone to bring Cuban products in to the United States. Period. The fact that a foreign national is just transiting makes no difference whatsoever. There is no exemption for that.

Sounds to me like it's past time to change that law. And open Cuba up for US citizens to travel to. Our government's treatment of Cuba is shameful. I traveled to China legally in 1985, and could have gone to Russia fairly soon thereafter, and their "human rights" records are far worse than Cuba's. There is absolutely NO logical valid reason to prevent our traveling there.

Archived