few questions for our first cruise

abaci

So we are getting ready for our first cruise and have just a few questions I have not seen posted on here. Been reading for a few weeks.

1) How cold does it get at night on the ship. We are going to the eastern caribbean @ the end of April. My wife is always cold and we have been on the S.S. Badger (ferry that runs between WI and lower MI) and that gets chilly at night. Kinda figuring a sweater and hoody will be needed, but figured I would ask.

2) Is it common to bring your own snorkle and fins? We are not going to be doing any snorkling excursions, but would use our own on HFC, Grand Turk, and St. Thomas/St. John. (I understand that this will take up "valuable" suitcase room)

Those are the only questiions for now, but will be sure it ask if I think of any more. TIA

On the Caribbean cruises I have sailed on it does not really get cold at night, but if you are outside after dark it can feel a tad chilly because the exposed deck are rather windy while the ship is chugging full speed ahead. I usually bring a lightweight windbreaker type jacket. Some nights it is useful, other nights not necessary. The interior of cruise ships can also be a bit on the chilly side as they seem to run the air conditioning pretty high in public areas. Your wife might want to consider bringing a wrap for the dining room, theater, lounges etc. in case she feels chilly from the air conditioning.

I have brought my own snorkel since it does not take up much space (and is needed if you go snorkeling) but not fins as they are much bulkier, and although nice, are not absolutely necessary to have.

A shawl or pashmina is perfect for the ladies on the cruise. Also, you're leaving from Green Bay at the end of April, so there's sure to still be a chill in the air. Just plan to wear a sweater or jacket you would use on the cruise. I have a white "cruise" sweater that I take only on cruises and almost never wear at home.

If we are beaching it on our own, we always bring our own snorkel gear. Yes, it does take up valuable space, but we have honed down our clothing packing to the bare minimum, and we have not gone over-weight nor not had enough space for everything else we need. We take our flippers, too because my DH cannot swim w/o them (think "rock") and mine are the kind that I like.

Enjoy St. John. We especially like Cinnamon Bay for snorkeling. It is MUCH nicer than Trunk.

If your wife is anything like me than she will be cold at night. I am often too cold in places where the A/C is running high (as it does in some areas of the ship).

A sweater or a wrap would be helpful. Of course it should be one that leaves enough room for your snorkle gear;)

Archived