Bridge Maven

Pre Cruise Hotel  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Pre Cruise Hotel

• I pay in full and take the risk to save money
    • I include hotel cost in my travel insurance so there is no risk
    • I book hotels through cruise line and don't think about various options
    • I only book hotel rooms that can be cancelled without penalty
    • I book it the traditional way and change it at a date closer to the cruise
    • I let my travel agent take care of my hotel reservations
    • Other - explain below

Of course it depends on the discount and the hotel amenities/location, but we book our own hotels, usually Hilton because i have lots of points and options with them. We have gone with B&B's for fun or a classic hotel downtown near the port, but again, I like hotels that allow cancellations. Not that I'm thinking of what-if's on canceling a cruise (haven't done it yet) but more of changing options and so on.

Also use my Hilton Club points. Example: used them (lots of them!) to book the Rome Hilton Cavalieri - it is a Waldorf Astoria 'Collection' hotel. Unbelievable. We ended up just staying in the hotel grounds (only one night prior to cruise) and enjoyed before cruising. Well worth it - at least worth using the points - one high-priced hotel!

So, try to use points for a special hotel, or use the 'chain' because I'm still working and usually only stay one night prior to cruising.

Denny

I always book hotels through a bidding website, therefore, get it much cheaper than the hotel's website and then include the costs of what I've paid in my travel insurance. For instance, we are staying two nights at a hotel in Ft. Lauderdale for our upcoming cruise and got it for just over 65% off the posted rate. For our next cruise, I think I will try my hand at bidding for airfare.

Of course it depends on the discount and the hotel amenities/location, but we book our own hotels, usually Hilton because i have lots of points and options with them. We have gone with B&B's for fun or a classic hotel downtown near the port, but again, I like hotels that allow cancellations. Not that I'm thinking of what-if's on canceling a cruise (haven't done it yet) but more of changing options and so on.

Also use my Hilton Club points. Example: used them (lots of them!) to book the Rome Hilton Cavalieri - it is a Waldorf Astoria 'Collection' hotel. Unbelievable. We ended up just staying in the hotel grounds (only one night prior to cruise) and enjoyed before cruising. Well worth it - at least worth using the points - one high-priced hotel!

So, try to use points for a special hotel, or use the 'chain' because I'm still working and usually only stay one night prior to cruising.

Denny

There was a time when I would only make hotel reservations that could be canceled without penalty. However, as more hotels offered the option for discounted rates if you pay in full at time of booking and the rate difference became more substantial I rethought that decision. I will now take the risk if the price difference is at least twenty five percent lower.

For all practical purposes I have been doing that with the airlines for years. When my husband and I flew to Barcelona for our Mediterranean cruise to the Greek Isles we had the option of getting a refundable fare but it would have been $2,500 per person instead of $1,200 per person so we didn't think twice about booking the non refundable fare.

We only use Priceline or Hotwire for hotels in the States and will usually pay about $50 to $70 for a hotel room. We can afford to lose that if we cancel, so it's really no big deal. Would rather prebook and save those $$$ than pay $200+ for hotels that we're really only to just sleep in (i.e., we're not spending the weekend or using the resort).

I use Priceline, Hotwire and Easyclick. In 100's of hotel rooms I've maybe lost money on a couple -- once because Celebrity moved the Century out of the Caribbean and sent it to Europe and once changing from a seven day cruise to a 12 day cruise.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

In most hotels I usually book the refundable rate as I have not found that great a difference in the non refundable pre book no refund versus the refundable pre book. I always check prices a couple of times a week after booking and make sure to get on the hotels/car rental/airline email list for specials and or coupon codes. I have a special email address I use just to sign up for travel related promo and coupon codes and only look at them when needed or if interested, otherwise it is a quick and easy delete from my outlook.

I have saved many $$$ using these code or promo specials over the years. If I have to use the non refund I then put that cost in my travel insurnace as adding an extra 100 or 200 typically does not make a big difference in the insurance fee.

This next cruise I am going without travel insurance a second time hoping that if I can make 5-6 trips without cancelling so I can then be able to self fund my own trip insurance going forward.

OMB

Archived