Advice for swimming arm bands or vests for 7 year old

champ.49er

First time cruisers here and will be sailing on Carnival this July. Our 7 year old daughter is learning how to swim and we would like to swim on the ship. We don't expect her to swim on her own by July because she just won't have enough time in the water by then. I was just hoping to get advice from other parents for swimming aids. Would an arm band or vest be better for a child learning how to swim? Thanks in advance.

The pools are crowded and shallow...there won't be much "swimming" going on...mostly splashing and bouncing about! There's simply no room to do actual "swimming" or practice your "form"!

It's quite hard to "swim" with either flotation device....swimming needs to be done on your own!

My girls feel more secure in a vest, but the arms work too - and are easier to pack since you can buy blow up ones if you're short on space. Since there is often very little (if any) shallow area in the regular pools on board, I would also bring something that will make her feel secure enough to enjoy the pool.

Best,

Mia

Your DD will probably just splash and float around, rather than swim. My DGD, who's almost three, uses the water wings, and they seem to work fine for this. Some of the newer Carnival ships have a "Kids Only" small pool that's quite shallow. For beach excursions, you might want to consider bringing a water vest, especially if she might like to try snorkelling. Have fun!

I disagree about the arm bands - I much prefer the vest. With the arm bands, they can't use there arms to swim, whereas in the vest they can make swimming motions. Plus, depending on the type of vest you get, you may be able to remove some of the floatations as her swimming progresses.

First time cruisers here and will be sailing on Carnival this July. Our 7 year old daughter is learning how to swim and we would like to swim on the ship. We don't expect her to swim on her own by July because she just won't have enough time in the water by then. I was just hoping to get advice from other parents for swimming aids. Would an arm band or vest be better for a child learning how to swim? Thanks in advance.

I would try to find indoor swimming lessons for her. My girls take them and here they are only $75 for 8 weeks (once a week). We can also take them other times just for practice with us for free. I would use a vest if you end up needing it and I think the water wings are for littler children and may not be safe. You will be amazed though how fast your older child can learn to swim with a good program. We use swim america which is a national program and mine are fish. My four year old could swim the width of the pool last summer after only 2 months of lessons. She can also float and kick to the side on her back, resting in between which is a life saving stroke. The pools on the ships are so tiny that she can probably push off and get to the other side without even kicking. The problem is that kids without experience panic. My gf's kid would freak out and even when she was within arms reach of the side would not be able to grab it and I would have to jump in after her.

Monica

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter has used arm bands since she was 1.5 years old. She is almost 6 now. They have never failed. I noticed the vest is a bit more uncomfortable as it rises up to her neck and sometimes she would turn over on her back and not be able to roll back.

The arm bands are less compact for travel, and after a while, still with a close eye on her, I have felt secure enough to let her swim around the pool on her own. She has done very well with them.

But ultimately whatever you see works for you, and what you feel more comfortable with is the choice you should stick with

If she is 7, taking lessons now, and enjoying herself in the water she may surprise you. If you have the ability to take her to the pool for practice then she may really be comfortable in the water and swimming nicely by the time your cruise is here.

As others have said, the pools are small and many will be pretty shallow to about 6 feet (give or take, depending on the ship).

I think that it is a good idea to take along some swim aids just in case. Does she use either a vest or water wings now? She may be more comfortable with one over the other. When I was teaching little ones how to swim I really liked to use a device that I could casually let the air out as they got to be stronger swimmers. Before they knew it they were swimming with a device that did not have any air in it!

I commend you for taking your child for lessons. It is never too late to learn how to swim. We live right off the Alantic Ocean and we required that our children have lessons and be strong swimmers. We love to be on boats and cruise ships so this was a must. I now have a child who is a Synchronized Swimmmer because she loves the water so much!

Archived