BA Air Strike

mollymillar

Options are good but maybe people just "don't want to play" with BA right now, and I personally don't blame them.
Well, if people feel more comfortable with paying twice the price to cancel and rebook when BA might have put them on exactly the same flights at no extra cost (and probably have a wider range of alternative flights to offer in any event), that's a matter for them.

Well, if people feel more comfortable with paying twice the price to cancel and rebook when BA might have put them on exactly the same flights at no extra cost (and probably have a wider range of alternative flights to offer in any event), that's a matter for them.

I wasn’t aware people were paying twice the price??? Do you have facts behind this statement or are you just kind of throwing that out there?

My comment was suggesting that if employees keep striking with a company, some might respect the union and not do business with that airline. Others may never want to take a risk on hoping that union busters (people the company hires to take place of those who are on strike) will actually deliver the product.

Personally, this seems like a no win situation for everyone and I would stay as far away from a company dealing with this issue (YMMV).

John

I wasn’t aware people were paying twice the price??? Do you have facts behind this statement or are you just kind of throwing that out there?
This is from this series of posts in this thread:-
Our flight was canceled this morning and we got a full refund. The only problem is that a new flight cost more than double the old flight.
We are now flying US Airways.
Was BA not able to book you onto any alternative airline? If you could book space on US Airways so easily, I would be surprised if BA didn't at least try to get you space on some other airline even if there was no alternative BA route that would work.
I did not try. My timing is critical since I am going on a cruise.

My comment was suggesting that if employees keep striking with a company, some might respect the union and not do business with that airline. Others may never want to take a risk on hoping that union busters (people the company hires to take place of those who are on strike) will actually deliver the product.
Some people would find these to be good reasons not to book new tickets with BA, at least until the dispute is finally resolved. That I can understand.

However, when your booking is for next week; your flight has been cancelled; and the airline is offering to rebook you on alternative flights or alternative airlines at no extra cost to you, in order to get you where you need to go - it seems a bit odd not even to try to get rebooked.

There is no need to "hope" that the product will be delivered.

The strike breakers are not people "hired to take place of those who are on strike", but are all volunteers from within the company (including pilots and ground staff) who have been being trained for months as additional cabin crew. Moreover, the vast majority of them are from highly unionised parts of the company (eg pilots and ground staff), including many who are members of the same union as ultimately represents the cabin crew.

This level of fraternal solidarity tells you something about the stupidity of those who run the cabin crew union, and how little respect they command or deserve.

And in the last period of strikes, they proved that they can deliver the product. Indeed, not only did they deliver the schedule that BA promised, but BA kept on adding more and more flights because there were more people (cabin crew who refused to strike, as well as the volunteers) turning up for work than they had expected.

This time, there are even more flights, and better on-board service, than last time.

Some people would find these to be good reasons not to book new tickets with BA, at least until the dispute is finally resolved. That I can understand.

However, when your booking is for next week; your flight has been cancelled; and the airline is offering to rebook you on alternative flights or alternative airlines at no extra cost to you, in order to get you where you need to go - it seems a bit odd not even to try to get rebooked.

There is no need to "hope" that the product will be delivered.

The strike breakers are not people "hired to take place of those who are on strike", but are all volunteers from within the company (including pilots and ground staff) who have been being trained for months as additional cabin crew. Moreover, the vast majority of them are from highly unionised parts of the company (eg pilots and ground staff), including many who are members of the same union as ultimately represents the cabin crew.

This level of fraternal solidarity tells you something about the stupidity of those who run the cabin crew union, and how little respect they command or deserve.

And in the last period of strikes, they proved that they can deliver the product. Indeed, not only did they deliver the schedule that BA promised, but BA kept on adding more and more flights because there were more people (cabin crew who refused to strike, as well as the volunteers) turning up for work than they had expected.

This time, there are even more flights, and better on-board service, than last time.

Wow! This seems like a hot button for you. Who are you trying to sell this to? I’m going to bow out of this debate because it’s totally not my problem or my issue. I hope you can get something out of your position and rationalization.

Hi. Could you not have changed it to fly in the day before? Do hope it all works out for you.

I suppose so, but the day before is also in the strike period so I don't think it matters that much....

Wow! This seems like a hot button for you. Who are you trying to sell this to? I’m going to bow out of this debate because it’s totally not my problem or my issue. I hope you can get something out of your position and rationalization.
I think that everyone who knows any of the detail underlying this dispute - other than the cabin crew union leaders and those of their members have been persuaded by them - are frankly baffled by what those union leaders are trying to achieve, given what has been offered by the company. In most industrial disputes, including at BA, there's at least some merit on each side - and BA has seen its fair share of disputes over the years.

But when this many "union men" across the company positively take up arms against the cabin crew union, you know that something is seriously wrong here. There's no "rationalisation" involved.

Anyway, I hope that the information about what the remainder of the workforce is trying to do to keep the airline flying will help - and perhaps reassure - those who may be affected by it but do not yet know whether the specific flights they're booked on will actually operate.

Our flight on May 19 from Vancouver to Heathrow Airport has been canceled. My TA managed to ask for refund for us and rebooked with Air Canada. Ironically the price has gone up since last time I checked few days ago.

But we will fly with BA again in the future. :D :D

Ricky

More details emerging (but further information will no doubt be forthcoming in the next few hours, including whether the union will appeal):-

BA wins High Court ban on cabin crew strikes

British Airways has won a High Court injunction to stop the latest strikes by its cabin staff.

The decision was based on a technicality and whether Unite followed rules in contacting its members with strike result details.

The first of four five-day walkouts had been due to begin at midnight, but will not go ahead following Mr Justice McCombe's decision.

The union had previously said it would appeal if BA was successful in court.

After the court decision BA said: "We are delighted for our customers that Unite's plans for extreme and unjustified strike action cannot go ahead."

It also apologised to some customers who were due to travel during the early days of the union's industrial action and will see flights affected.

"Ash disruption permitting, we will aim to restore a full flying programme at Heathrow by the weekend. We will also offer a full programme at Gatwick and London City, as planned," it added.

Those travelling this week should expect some disruption as a result of the late cancellation of the strike.

That said you're probably rebooked on other carriers, or are on BA flights that were operating per the schedule posted last week.

I guess what I'm saying is the full flying program won't be taking place as normal for the remainder of the week.

Breaking news: Injunction granted by High Court; strikes cancelled.

Too late for us, we have already canceled with BA and booked with Air Canada.

It cost us a lot more for the tickets and have to pay an amendment fee of CAD 12.00 for our bus journey with National Express to southampton.

Not too happy about that. :mad: :mad:

Ricky

Too late for us, we have already canceled with BA and booked with Air Canada.

It cost us a lot more for the tickets and have to pay an amendment fee of CAD 12.00 for our bus journey with National Express to southampton.

Not too happy about that. :mad: :mad:

Again, why didn't you ask BA to rebook you, instead of just cancelling? If BA had been able to rebook you, it would have been at no extra cost to you. If BA could not rebook you, then you would have been no worse off than you now are.

Again, why didn't you ask BA to rebook you, instead of just cancelling? If BA had been able to rebook you, it would have been at no extra cost to you. If BA could not rebook you, then you would have been no worse off than you now are.

It was done by my TA. Even if BA rebooked for me, isn't it still cost me the market price of the fare that Air Canada charged?

It cost me $200.00/person more to fly with Air Canada. Don't forget, at that time, I just want to have had a peace of mind.

We are leaving home for airport now.

Ricky

My flight was cancelled 5 days before we leave, but after lots of tears and 3 hrs on hold, I finally got thru to BA and was rebooked on Air France out of JFK to Paris to Venice. Turns out to be a much better flight than the original itinerary of JFK to LHR 3hr bus ride to Gatwick to Venice. Was so worried that we would not make the cruise.

jean

My flight was cancelled 5 days before we leave, but after lots of tears and 3 hrs on hold, I finally got thru to BA and was rebooked on Air France out of JFK to Paris to Venice. Turns out to be a much better flight than the original itinerary of JFK to LHR 3hr bus ride to Gatwick to Venice. Was so worried that we would not make the cruise.

jean

Glad you got it sorted. It's way less than 3 hours from Heathrow to Gatwick but I don't know the arrangements they have for you.

I think when I was thinking it was 3hrs, it was taking into acct, that we would have to collect our luggage at LHR, transport it ourselves to a shuttle bus that runs every half hr or so, Pay an additional fee for the bus x7 of us, then the actual bus ride (time depends on traffic-at least that is what they told me) retrieve the luggage and Checkin and Security again at Gatwick ---- Now just do layover in Paris, no worry about the luggage and continue on to venice!!!! It is working out better. Plus as far as the volcano, I think london airports are more vulnerable then Paris, and I know paris has been closed but not as often as london.

Now the problem is coming home, on June 5, they will not let me know till June 1st, 4 days before, and I am on a cruise ship, can't be on the phone on hold for 3 hrs from a cruise ship, so they are letting me designate my sister here in the states to be my representative.

jean

For those who are travelling between 24 and 29 May inclusive, BA has now confirmed its schedules for those days - see this page.

If a flight of yours has been cancelled, remember to consider all your options, including asking BA to rebook you on another airline (at BA's expense):-

What are my rebooking options now?

If your flight is cancelled you can:

• rebook onto another British Airways flight on the same route within 355 days from the date you change your booking of the original date of travel at no extra charge, subject to availability.

OR

• rebook onto another British Airways flight to/from the nearest alternative airport (for example, if booked to/from Boston you could rebook to/from Philadelphia or New York) at no extra charge, subject to availability.

OR

• rebook onto an agreed alternative airline, subject to availability.

OR

• cancel your booking and obtain a refund to the original form of payment.

We are currently in Prague and our 5/24 flight was cancelled. Also BA said we had already flown both segments, so we could not work it out online. We could not reach the airline here or in GB by phone, so we went to the airport early this morning. We have 2 stops rather than one, and we change to American in Chicago, but at least we have a plan.

We were among those notified yesterday that BA had cancelled our last (short) leg between Heathrow and Schiphol. The Viking air agent (at BA's suggestion) wanted to change entire departure to an earlier itinerary...it would require adjustments, but get us to Amsterdam earlier, so we considered it. When I asked for seat assignments, however, I had to say 'No, thank you' because we would forfeit the upgrade on AA that we had paid for on BA to be more comfortable on the TransAtlantic flight....

Fast forward: After three nonstop hours on the phone last night with Viking, American and BA, I was able to rebook the last leg with a helpful and pleasant BA agent who put us on a BA flight that had not been cancelled. Good news: We kept our departure flights with upgrade. Bad news: We have 7+ hours at the airport in London! Positives: We will not be stressed getting through customs and have lots of time to explore the new BA terminal with fabulous restaurants and shops, including Harrods and Tiffany & Co. Breakfast, anyone? :)

Archived