BA Air Strike

mollymillar

Bad news: We have 7+ hours at the airport in London! Positives: We will not be stressed getting through customs and have lots of time to explore the new BA terminal with fabulous restaurants and shops, including Harrods and Tiffany & Co.
Glad that you've got a good alternative sorted out.

You won't need to go through customs at Heathrow. As I understand your post, you're arriving on a BA trans-Atlantic flight, which will therefore be at Terminal 5. All you need to do is to follow the signs for Flight Connections Terminal 5. If you've parked at the satellite (which is likely), this route will take you to the underground transit that shuttles you over to the main terminal building. When you get there, you will find yourself in the immigration/transfer hall. Do NOT clear immigration. You need to head over to the desks towards the right hand side of the hall (with your back to the airfield), where your onward boarding pass will be checked. (If you don't already have an onward boarding pass for some reason, there are transfer desks on the far right hand wall where you can get one.) Then you will go upstairs via escalators to the security screening checkpoint. After that, you will be free to roam around the main terminal building to your heart's content.

If you're after decent and interesting food, my recommendations would be Giraffe and Wagamama (both on the same level as security). The most restaurant-like place is the Gordon Ramsay outlet named Plane Food, which is said to be quite good although I've never yet tried it myself.

If your onward flight is allocated a gate at the satellite building (a B gate), there is no need to go there particularly early. The facilities in the main building are far better, and if you can walk at normal walking speeds you can get from any point in the main building to any gate in the satellite in well under 20 minutes (including using the transit to get back there).

Globaliser, I don't think enough of us tell you how valuable your information is! Thanks so much for monitoring this board and sharing with us. Many of us would be lost in airports forever with out your help.

Barbara

Glad that you've got a good alternative sorted out.

You won't need to go through customs at Heathrow. As I understand your post, you're arriving on a BA trans-Atlantic flight, which will therefore be at Terminal 5. All you need to do is to follow the signs for Flight Connections Terminal 5. If you've parked at the satellite (which is likely), this route will take you to the underground transit that shuttles you over to the main terminal building. When you get there, you will find yourself in the immigration/transfer hall. Do NOT clear immigration. You need to head over to the desks towards the right hand side of the hall (with your back to the airfield), where your onward boarding pass will be checked. (If you don't already have an onward boarding pass for some reason, there are transfer desks on the far right hand wall where you can get one.) Then you will go upstairs via escalators to the security screening checkpoint. After that, you will be free to roam around the main terminal building to your heart's content.

If you're after decent and interesting food, my recommendations would be Giraffe and Wagamama (both on the same level as security). The most restaurant-like place is the Gordon Ramsay outlet named Plane Food, which is said to be quite good although I've never yet tried it myself.

If your onward flight is allocated a gate at the satellite building (a B gate), there is no need to go there particularly early. The facilities in the main building are far better, and if you can walk at normal walking speeds you can get from any point in the main building to any gate in the satellite in well under 20 minutes (including using the transit to get back there).

If you look for the Giraffe website they often have 2 for 1 vouchers for meals, they also do free coffee on Wednesday mornngs (not sure if that applies to the airport); they do good coffee. Wagamama does wonderful oriental influenced food with a healthy slant.

Archived