BA Air Strike

mollymillar

Wow- very impresed with their level of preparedness.

"Many of our longhaul flights are planned to operate as normal during the strike period.

Some flights will operate with a simplified onboard service. "

So looks like no hot meals but you will get some sort of meal.

No special meals and no child meals.

BA have stopped all sales on the dates affected to prevent new reservations. Once they have a final schedule in place they will obviously know which flights will be operating. They appear to be avoiding the precise Easter weekend but this will undoubtedly affect those travelling prior.

We are supposed to be flying from Manchester to Gatwick and then from Gatwick to Orlando on the 27th, and (hopefully) join FoS on the 28th. We have been told by our TA that BA will contact all passengers 1 week before the flight to inform them if it is cancelled or not. By then of course it will be too late to book other flights!

I have just looked at flights departing the day before the strike and they want £13,400 for 4 adult tickets! Someone's having a laugh..

The union said they wouldn't strike during the Easter holiday period- which starts when the kids break up from school as far as I'm concerned!

All we can do is hope the strike is called off - or the insurance company will pay out if we have to cancel!

Franchise, Codeshare and Alliance

All flights operated by our franchise, codeshare and alliance partners will operate normally, and are subject to our general conditions of carriage.

This includes flights operated by :-

Carrier Flight number range

Loganair BA 4000 to BA 4199

LAN Airlines BA 4300 to BA 4309

Malev BA 4450 to BA 4499

BA CityFlyer BA 4500 to BA 4549

Cathay Pacific BA 4550 to BA 4599

Japan Airlines BA 4600 to BA 4649

American Airlines BA 5000 to BA 5699

Aer Lingus BA 5700 to BA 5999

Finnair BA 6000 to BA 6099

Flybe BA 6100 to BA 6199

Comair BA 6200 to BA 6449

OpenSkies BA 7000 to BA 7039

Meridiana Fly BA 7040 to BA 7049

Iberia BA 7050 to BA 7299

Qantas BA 7300 to BA 7499

Various BA 7500 to BA 7599

Sun-Air of Scandinavia A/S BA 8200 to BA 8299

BA CityFlyer BA 8450 to BA 8769

To/from London Heathrow

Routes :

Between London Heathrow and Outside Europe Flight number range BA 0005 to BA 0299 Some flights will operate normally.

Some flights will operate using British Airways aircraft providing a different style of onboard service.

Other flights will be cancelled.

Between London Heathrow and the rest of the UK and Europe

BA 0300 – BA 0999

BA 1300 – BA 1499 Some flights will operate normally.

Some flights will operate using BA approved chartered aircraft providing a different style of onboard service.

Flights operated by our franchise, codeshare or alliance partners are unaffected.

Exact details of our flying schedule during the strike period are liable to change at short notice.

To / from London Gatwick

Routes :

Between London Gatwick and outside Europe

Flight number range BA 2000 to BA 2299 All flights will operate normally and any changes to bookings on these flights are subject to the original fare rules

Between London Gatwick and the rest of the UK and Europe BA 2300 to BA 2999 BA 7950 to BA 8199 Some flights will operate normally.

Flights operated by our franchise, codeshare or alliance partners are unaffected.

Exact details of our flying schedule during the strike period are liable to change at short notice.

To / from London City

Routes

Between London City and New York (JFK)

Flight number range BA 0001 to BA 0004 These flights will operate normally and any changes to bookings on these flights are subject to the original fare rules

Various BA 8450 to BA 8497 BA 8700 to BA 8769 BA Cityflyer flights will operate normally

We are supposed to be flying from Manchester to Gatwick and then from Gatwick to Orlando on the 27th
Gatwick to Orlando will operate as normal; Gatwick longhaul flights will not be affected by the strike.

So all you need to do is to concentrate on getting to Gatwick from Manchester.

There are updates on BA web site for flights during the strike.

Plugged in my flight numbers and it looks like everything is a GO. Only change is that we are flying Astreaus Airlines from Heathrow to Basel.

Hope nothing changes between now and Saturday.

There are updates on BA web site for flights during the strike.
Current information is as follows.
British Airways cabin crew strike

Unite, the trade union that represents the majority of British Airways (BA) cabin crew, has announced its intention to take strike action on the following dates:

• 20,21 and 22 March 2010
  • 27,28,29 and 30 March 2010

All of our flights are continuing to operate as normal up until the first day of the strike.

We have now announced the schedule for the first set of strike dates, 20, 21 and 22 March.

All flights to and from London City and all longhaul flights to and from London Gatwick and all flights operated by our franchise, codeshare and alliance partners will continue to operate normally throughout any strike period and any changes to bookings on these flights are subject to the original fare rules.

> Information if you are travelling on 20, 21 and 22 March

(last updated 1600 - 15 March 2010)

> Information if you are travelling on 23, 24, 25 and 26 March

(last updated 1630 - 16 March 2010)

> Information if you are travelling on 27, 28, 29, 30 and 31 March

(last updated 1630 - 16 March 2010)

You may also find our additional frequently asked questions helpful.

> Frequently asked questions

We are supposed to be flying from Manchester to Gatwick and then from Gatwick to Orlando on the 27th, and (hopefully) join FoS on the 28th.
Apart from the personal guess that the second wave of the strike will not happen (even if the first does), the runes look reasonably good for you: MAN-LGW is not suffering any cancellations this Saturday, and only the first flight on each of the following days.

I'm checking the BA website several times a day for updates since we're scheduled to leave DFW on the 26th to Basel but we change planes at Heathrow on the 27th and that's one of the projected strike dates. Keeping my fingers crossed that all goes as planned!

Just received a very nice call from a BA employee indicating that our flight tomorrow is scheduled to depart as originally scheduled with all services in place. It is very comforting knowing that we will have no problems getting to our destination to start our vacation.

May is well outside any likely time frame for a strike. I wouldn't worry about it.

Globaliser:

Your previous replies were reassuring however I have to admit I'm still a little uneasy as we just received our cruise e-docs and the strike is still a reality. I wondered if I should still feel okay about our May 13 flight USA to Europe? From what I read BA seems to have planned well for this strike and I'm hoping it will be settled soon.

Am I looking for more comforting words, YES!!!

Globaliser:

Your previous replies were reassuring however I have to admit I'm still a little uneasy as we just received our cruise e-docs and the strike is still a reality. I wondered if I should still feel okay about our May 13 flight USA to Europe? From what I read BA seems to have planned well for this strike and I'm hoping it will be settled soon.

Am I looking for more comforting words, YES!!!

We will fly with BA on May 19, hopefully the strike will be settled by then.

Ricky

We flew British Air from DFW on March 26th to Heathrow then made a connection to Basel with no problem (the connecting flight was on an airline I've never heard of that BA had chartered but it was fine). We did have a cold meal on the flight and the Captain apologized for it several times but it was good as was the service. If I hadn't known there was a strike going on, I wouldn't have been aware of it since there were no disruptions of any kind.

I wondered if I should still feel okay about our May 13 flight USA to Europe?
Let's put it this way. Would I personally make a new booking to travel on 13 May? Yes, particularly given how well the contingency arrangements have worked.

BTW, it looks like the Heathrow-Basel flights were subbed to Astraeus Airlines, which is perhaps best known for this (trivial and totally irrelevant) fact: One of its captains is Bruce Dickinson, of Iron Maiden, doing his day job.

Let's put it this way. Would I personally make a new booking to travel on 13 May? Yes, particularly given how well the contingency arrangements have worked.

BTW, it looks like the Heathrow-Basel flights were subbed to Astraeus Airlines, which is perhaps best known for this (trivial and totally irrelevant) fact: One of its captains is Bruce Dickinson, of Iron Maiden, doing his day job.

Ok, sorry, but I gotta ask:

why do you know this? :)

Not sure I understood your comment correctly "would I personally make a new booking to travel on 13 May? Yes, ....." Do you mean you would still continue to book a flight on 13 May with BA because their contingency has worked well, or do you mean I should consider rebooking another airline? I know the contract isn't signed as yet, and there's always the possibility Unite might announce another strike. Sorry if I sound confused, I guess I am confused, probably, because I'm stressing out as the cruise date gets closer and it will be costly to reschedule a flight at the last minute.

Hope you can straighten me out. Thanks!

Allow me to surmise: Globaliser would book a BA flight for May 13th....and so would I.

British strikes are a lot different than what you would find in many other European countries (due to laws, as noted above), plus BA has contingency plans well in hand.

If you want absolute guarantees.....stick with death and taxes. Sorry, but that's just the nature of life. Do your own research so you know what your options may be, just in case. But that should be SOP with all travel, not just with potential labor issues on the horizon.

Archived