FINALLY FROUFIES ESP (extra special pictorial) REVIEW OF THE VALOR - JAN 24-31/10

Froufie

Glad to see you enjoyed your cruise! Valor was our first Carnival ship, so she's special to us!:D We did Eastern, but we were in Cozumel and Belize on Glory- you really should have eaten at Nachi Cocum. :rolleyes: Oh, and your pictures were great, too.

Heather

Fantastic review. Really felt like I was on the ship with you. Makes me want to cruise on the Valor. We cruised the same itinerary on the Miracle in 2009 (when the ship was not able to go to Panama and Costa Rica because of mechanical problems). We did the river trip/ruins and really enjoyed the day. Thank you for taking the time to post your excellent review. Pictures were great, too.

Fantastic review. Really felt like I was on the ship with you. Makes me want to cruise on the Valor. We cruised the same itinerary on the Miracle in 2009 (when the ship was not able to go to Panama and Costa Rica because of mechanical problems). We did the river trip/ruins and really enjoyed the day. Thank you for taking the time to post your excellent review. Pictures were great, too.

thanks - glad you loved the review and the pics - too bad about the Miracle not making it to Panama and CR - boy I would have been disappointed with that - I really really really want to do a panama cruise and a transatlantic!!! (now if I could only win the lottery.....:D)

Oh, Froufie! What a great review!

We really should cruise together! We could sit around and eat smoked salmon every morning. And that martini looked fantastic!

I would love to do that excursion in Grand Cayman. And if I ever get to go there again, I will!

We had a great day in Roatan, but your excursion looks like it may have been even better. Fosters was nice, but I really liked the look of that pool at the resort.

And since we've both now done the River Wallace & Altun Ha in Belize, we could hang out at the restaurant/bar and go shopping!

And next time in Coz, I'm going to Nachi!

LOL.

I know what you mean about getting home and realizing that although you did all those great things, there was a bunch of stuff that you just didn't get around to! I tend to not do much on sea days, because I like to use them to relax. And then I get home and think, "but I should've gone here, or done that!! Or eaten again!" :D

Love the look of the 1A with PH. My concern is being that far forward. I do have some motion-sickness issues, you know. But ginger, bonine and a few adult beverages should take care of that problem.

Going to go check your photos now.

Thanks for taking the time to write your review and post the pics. I know it takes a lot of time and effort.

Wait. Did I miss a link to your photo album? I thought it was there but now I can't find it.

Thank you so much Froufie,

Your review is outstanding and I can't wait to "follow in your footsteps" next January.

Amazing pictures too.

Thank you:p Thank you:p Thank you:p

You are so very very welcome - hoping you have a fun time next year!!!

Hey Joan,

Glad you like the review!!! The pool at the Mayan Princess Resort is gorgeous and I really loved it there......and you absolutely must do the stingray thing next time you are in Grand Cayman!!!

No link to photo album - I am still working on that!!!

Of course kept my Capers being the very 'detailed' person that I am.... (as I have for ALL my past cruises). Unfortunately just got a new xerox photocopy scanning machine (at work) - old one disconnected.....new one not yet 'functional'....so alas no way to scan and upload..... Maybe next week if possible?

Thanks Froufie for the great review!! We getting ready to book the Valor for this April. A little last minute, but very exciting. Your review is definitely helping with the planning, and I cannot wait!

I was wondering if your scanner was ever able to work, and if you had scanned the capers? I would love to see them. We have been on 2 RCCL and 1 Celebrity cruise, but no Carnival yet. So I would love to see what we can expect!

Thanks again!!:D

Mary

It's been a few years, but I'm pretty sure your tablemate "John, the principal" was my middle school principal...

Getoutoftown!! That's hysterical!!! So was he a nice guy? He seemed pretty even tempered and easygoing to me!!! ha ha ha I guess it really is a small world?

Thanks Froufie for the great review!! We getting ready to book the Valor for this April. A little last minute, but very exciting. Your review is definitely helping with the planning, and I cannot wait!

I was wondering if your scanner was ever able to work, and if you had scanned the capers? I would love to see them. We have been on 2 RCCL and 1 Celebrity cruise, but no Carnival yet. So I would love to see what we can expect!

Thanks again!!

Mary

Hi Mary - and thanks for your comments - I will check back on the scanner - seems we now have this SUPER DUPER FANCY SHMANCY photocopier - which does color prints, scanning, etc. Last time I checked I was told the IT guys had to come in and 'set us all up' on the scanner? So far I have not seen any IT guys hovering around so assume this is still going to happen? Will let you know if I find out anything!...and if it works I will definitely try it out!

Oh, and I didn't know you spoke French! I would insist on speaking nothing but French and would drive you crazy. I'm far from fluent. I know just enough that I was able to survive a month in France. You know, all the important stuff, like reading a menu, how to navigate Le Metro, to order cheap table wine, and the very most important, "ou est les toilettes?". :D

My first stingray encounter was in GC, but it was a ship excursion (my only RCI cruise). Lots of hot Aussies as our guides, so it was pretty fun. But the one you did looks wonderful!

It's funny. I looked at your Altun Ha pics and was all, "I was there! I was there! I climbed that pyramid!"

I'm so glad you had a good time, even if the weather wasn't perfect. Still, better than in Canada!

I do love reading reviews and looking at the photos. Do come back and give us a link. I want to see them all!!!

Oh, and I didn't know you spoke French! I would insist on speaking nothing but French and would drive you crazy. I'm far from fluent. I know just enough that I was able to survive a month in France. You know, all the important stuff, like reading a menu, how to navigate Le Metro, to order cheap table wine, and the very most important, "ou est les toilettes?". :D

My first stingray encounter was in GC, but it was a ship excursion (my only RCI cruise). Lots of hot Aussies as our guides, so it was pretty fun. But the one you did looks wonderful!

It's funny. I looked at your Altun Ha pics and was all, "I was there! I was there! I climbed that pyramid!"

I'm so glad you had a good time, even if the weather wasn't perfect. Still, better than in Canada!

I do love reading reviews and looking at the photos. Do come back and give us a link. I want to see them all!!!

Wow Joan - I didn't know you were 'bilingue'! Quelle surprise! (I also speak russian, spanish and yiddish..... and yes had a chance to use some of my russian on the ship - altho it is pretty rusty!). If you lived a whole month in France I am very sure you can get by!

what a wonderful review..I love that ship and that itinerary sooo much that Im cruising her again this may and I cant wait........

Hey deedee - bet you are counting the days - you lucky thing! You will have a fabulous time!!! I was actually 'hesitant' to book the Valor as I found the decor a bit too 'eclectic' for my taste - but it was Ray's choice and his birthday so how could I complain? And now I am super glad as I have absolutely no regrets!

Thanks for the awesome review and pics Froufie :)

I am a fellow Canadian but from the East Coast -Newfoundland:cool: 6 of us are going on the Valor April 18th and we are all first time cruisers. I can't speak for them but I know I'm about ready to burst out of my skin with excitement. After reading your review now I'm worse...lol..oh dear how am I going to make it until then!!! :eek:

Thanks for the awesome review and pics Froufie :)

I am a fellow Canadian but from the East Coast -Newfoundland:cool: 6 of us are going on the Valor April 18th and we are all first time cruisers. I can't speak for them but I know I'm about ready to burst out of my skin with excitement. After reading your review now I'm worse...lol..oh dear how am I going to make it until then!!! :eek:

Deep breaths - you will make it - and MAKE SURE YOU ENJOY EVERY SECOND OF IT!!! I swear I blinked and it was over!!! Thank goodness I have all those pictures to confirm I was actually there!!! :D And now they keep my company thru the long cold winter nights.....;)

Thanks Froufie for a really great review and pictures. I'm glad you had a good time. I'm going on my first cruise in July on the Valor and I'm so excited!!!!

I am so excited for you - you will love it (and probably get hooked the rest of us!) - Enjoy your first cruise!

Russian? Aww, you really should've come with us in December. You and I could've spoken French (and had plenty of Kir Royales to drink), and you and Claire could've spoken Russian! We could've gone to tea on all those sea days and sat and pretended we were some of the "rude foreigners" that too many cruisers like to complain about. LOL. I think this is the first cruise in a while that Claire didn't find a Russian-speaking crew member to talk with.

So, where's the link to those photos? ;)

Thanks for the wonderful review and photos. We will be in Cozumel in Nov., 2010 and Nachi Cocum sounds like the way to go. Did you ever make it Mr. Sanchos? Just wondered how the two compare.

We will also be in GC in June and I am trying to talk my family (DH and two 15 year old twins) into the stingray excursion. It looks like so much fun.

Also, I see you have also been on the Miracle and Triumph, ships we have also been on. How did you feel the Valor compared? When I look at cruises, the Valor and Liberty are always priced lower. Just wondered if you noticed a significant difference. We are doing the Liberty for Thanksgiving week, 2010 and also have booked a porthole room (just DH and myself that trip). We will be in 1220. I told DH we might hear anchor noises and he said he thought they don't drop anchor anymore, just tie off the ship. Can you clarify? This will be our first time on the Riveria deck and we are a bit nervous, but the porthole room at the inside price was too good to pass up.

Thanks again for all the great photos. Sounds like you had a great cruise!

Thanks so much and glad you enjoyed the review! Yes made it Mr. Sanchos and was not impressed - esp after seeing those chairs lined up al in a row (think sardines in a can). I much prefer the 'spaciousness' of nachi cocum (with the spread out palapas and 'loungers')...and the pool was way nicer at NC!!! (Mr. Sanchos was tiny while NC has a nice large pool, attached hot tub and both connecting to the swim up bar!).

Definitely visit the rays - something you will remember forever! I do recommend Nativeways (not as crowded or busy as some of the other tours) and Rumpoint Beach was the icing on the cake!

Found the Valor to be similar to other conquest class ships (of course the Miracle is smaller w/different layout). I actually really liked the decor on the Liberty compared to the other ships - but frankly decor does not matter that much as long as the ship is in good conidition, being well maintained and of course with attentive service.

I think you will LOVE the porthole cabin - I found mine extremely comfortable and spacious for me....as for the anchor you will only hear it in 'tender' ports - but you will probably be getting up early to go explore anyways right? :D:D

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks again for the information. I tried to contact Nachi Cocum to book for our Nov. cruise and received a "fatal error" after submitting the form I filled out. Did you book via the web?

I have also bookmarked the trip advisors reviews of Nativeways for the sting ray encounter and it looks wonderful. Did you book that through the web also?

Thanks...your review has definitely helped us plan our trip.

To book Nachi cocum you need to go thru cozumelcruiseexcursions.com (Island Marketing) - I think it is the 'cozumel beach break'?....you need to pay a $12 deposit per person via credit card (and the rest in cash when you get there). They will send you a confirmation which you should bring with you.

Also booked Nativeways via their website.....(no money down - pay when the tour is over!)

Hope this helps!

Archived