Ideas on jerks blocking the stairs?

kay1864

LOL. Believe me, I'd love to cut down some - but I need all that screen landscape to be able to fulfill my multi-taskin abilities.

When I first started using multi screens at work.. I was a bit anxious... but when I reallized how much I can get done using them.. it was a life saver.. It's the only way I get done what I need to.. and I don't work in IT...

!!!:D

I've read about groups of people (often teenagers) sitting on the stairs, blocking anyone from going up or down.

Any clever ideas to handle this?

I don't like "call ship security" as (a) I don't have time to wait for security to arrive when all I want to do is get from the pool to the deck above and (b) it certainly doesn't prevent the same people from doing it again, ad infinitum.

"Take the other stairs" is not an option for me either. I see no need to walk all the way around the pool just because a group of people thinks it's okay to block one set of stairs.

My own inclination is to say "Excuse me" twice (the second time a little louder in case the noise from the pool prevented them from hearing). If still no results, I step on the nearest hand, clearing a path for me to walk up the stairs.

I realize that can result in an altercation (or maybe even a lawsuit) but honestly I'm at a loss as to how one should deal with such inconsiderate behavior.

A poster mentioned carrying a glass of tomato juice while in the buffet line, so someone who rudely jostles you to cut in line will get tomato juice on them. So...anything clever that will work on the stair-blocking problem?

Eat alot of beans before your cruise so that if this happens you can just FART and clear the aera. #1. They have to prove it ws you.(that would make for a good entertainment ...sir we need your gas DNA could you please fart in this jar) #2. I don't think you can be sued for release of intestinal gases (i believe it's called a human bodily function ) #3. I'm sure when they next saw you comming (be it in the stair well or the buffet line) they would happily let you go first.

Ha! Just being silly! Snow is makin me kooky!

Honestly, I have never been witness of these gangs. Do they wear their "colors" to identify which gang they are loyal to? Wear red if you claim port side stairs, blue for starboard.

Has anyone seen Tupac?

Yeah I've seen him on a Carnival cruise hogging a chair in front of the stairs by the pool after removing his auto tips drinking a glass of tomato juice that he spiked with the booze he brought onboard in his rum runner that he had in his locked suitcase that he wasnt supposed to lock when he handed it to the porter that he didn't tip.:p

I would just say "Excuse me" - if that doesn't work, I would just "cut the cheese (lol)" - that should clear the area!

Happy sailings!

Or say excuse me, and if that does not work, say "What is that smell"

They will leave to avoid finding out it was them,

Or

just go Texas Ranger on them and start kicking and punching, I think Security will come and straighten the whole thing out for you,

30+ cruises never seen this...then again I dont sail during spring break or summer.

Chillaxin,

We do cruise during Spring Break and summer and I don't recall seeing it either.

I've read about groups of people (often teenagers) sitting on the stairs, blocking anyone from going up or down.

Any clever ideas to handle this?

I don't like "call ship security" as (a) I don't have time to wait for security to arrive when all I want to do is get from the pool to the deck above and (b) it certainly doesn't prevent the same people from doing it again, ad infinitum.

"Take the other stairs" is not an option for me either. I see no need to walk all the way around the pool just because a group of people thinks it's okay to block one set of stairs.

My own inclination is to say "Excuse me" twice (the second time a little louder in case the noise from the pool prevented them from hearing). If still no results, I step on the nearest hand, clearing a path for me to walk up the stairs.

I realize that can result in an altercation (or maybe even a lawsuit) but honestly I'm at a loss as to how one should deal with such inconsiderate behavior.

A poster mentioned carrying a glass of tomato juice while in the buffet line, so someone who rudely jostles you to cut in line will get tomato juice on them. So...anything clever that will work on the stair-blocking problem?

Kay1864,

I can't say that I've never witnessed people sitting on stairs, but if I have I do not recall and it has never been an issue. I suspect the reason I don't recall is that most all stairwells have at least two and many times three sets of steps to choose from so one set being blocked or inaccessible would not be memorable.

The most clever thing I can suggest is that you simply walk over to the next set of steps and go about your business. It is not far to walk and you may avoid getting your a$$ kicked. My family and I cruise each spring break and if you happen to step on one of my sons hands you will be punished. I would not condone their setting on stairs, but if it happens and you step on them, you just asked for trouble. :)

I have not read all replies in this thread, but I did see you mentioned people cutting in line at the buffet. I advise them to go to the back of the line; they obey. If they don't obey, I doubt I would step on them nor would I recommend steping on them; it's just food and there's plenty. :cool:

My suggestion, OP is a nice cup of valerian root tea, and a good book. What you focus on in this world is the reality you create for yourself, and if your idea of the run-up to the cruise is to fantasize about and plan out your responses to all the bad things that could possibly go wrong, and poll others for suitably snarky options to the terrible and inconvenient things you have imagined might happen... I imagine your life is a very anxious and difficult one indeed.

Maybe a juicy mystery, or some horror to work off the adrenaline you're so clearly short of if you need to worry about drama you may never actually encounter. Erotica perhaps. That should liven up your day a bit, without resort to such dire negativity.

And should you, in some apparently relatively rare circumstance, find yourself blocked by a phalanx of distracted teens who had for a moment there thought themselves alone on the stairs...why...take a deep breath, make a great big smile, and ask nicely if they could scooch over a bit so you can get through. Consider it your mission to make them feel valued and respected, and watch them scramble to smile back and clear a way. Then both of you will be happier than you were just a moment before, and you may promenade grandly...and proudly...to your destination, having made the world a better place.

And if that doesn't work...TAKE A MOMENT TO REMEMBER YOU'RE ON A FREAKIN' VACATION, amble over to the other staircase, mention the hooligans to the nearest uniformed personnel on your way past, and go take a nice dip in the pool. A lousy day on a cruise ship is still a damn good day.

Just sayin'.

Chillaxin,

We do cruise during Spring Break and summer and I don't recall seeing it either.

Kay1864,

I can't say that I've never witnessed people sitting on stairs, but if I have I do not recall and it has never been an issue. I suspect the reason I don't recall is that most all stairwells have at least two and many times three sets of steps to choose from so one set being blocked or inaccessible would not be memorable.

The most clever thing I can suggest is that you simply walk over to the next set of steps and go about your business. It is not far to walk and you may avoid getting your a$$ kicked. My family and I cruise each spring break and if you happen to step on one of my sons hands you will be punished. I would not condone their setting on stairs, but if it happens and you step on them, you just asked for trouble. :)

I have not read all replies in this thread, but I did see you mentioned people cutting in line at the buffet. I advise them to go to the back of the line; they obey. If they don't obey, I doubt I would step on them nor would I recommend steping on them; it's just food and there's plenty. :cool:

Now if the people that are sitting on the stairs, are in their upper age group (60++) you better find another way down, because these little old ladies will give you the biggest can of woop a$$ if you tell them to move when they are waiting for the MDR or Captains party or art auction.

just consider yourself warned OP, Grandma has a bad side, and you dont want to mess with her!

Firefly

you must protect yourself..

he is a Disney Cruiser... and pooof there is a mouse in your house Look Nunu did already

anunutin-foil-hat.jpgNO FAIR!! Good thing I was drinking white wine, not red!! This is so funny -- is this a real picture of Nunu's cat? In addition to the wine running down my screen, I have tears running down my face:D! OP -- We have been on 6 cruises, many different lines, and have never encountered sitdowns on the stairs, and I very seldom do elevators on cruises. Just Relax, and Enjoy your cruise!! Have Fun! Silver

Disclaimer: This is all done in the name of good fun

(Trouble posting -- Note to Self: always start after end of quote.

Ya'all know Im sure that most stairs on Carnival ships are double? One identical on port and starboard side ... or if its one in the middle of ship, two sections that are divided, they come together for one section with a rail in the middle and then separate out into two different ways down. ... If I see someone slow or whatever in one section it doesnt take but a second to go right instead of left ... same number of stairs down.

I know this common sense approach wouldnt go over big ... but thats probably why I dont have a problem, I just take the opposite stairs.

My suggestion, OP is a nice cup of valerian root tea, and a good book. What you focus on in this world is the reality you create for yourself, and if your idea of the run-up to the cruise is to fantasize about and plan out your responses to all the bad things that could possibly go wrong, and poll others for suitably snarky options to the terrible and inconvenient things you have imagined might happen... I imagine your life is a very anxious and difficult one indeed.

Maybe a juicy mystery, or some horror to work off the adrenaline you're so clearly short of if you need to worry about drama you may never actually encounter. Erotica perhaps. That should liven up your day a bit, without resort to such dire negativity.

And should you, in some apparently relatively rare circumstance, find yourself blocked by a phalanx of distracted teens who had for a moment there thought themselves alone on the stairs...why...take a deep breath, make a great big smile, and ask nicely if they could scooch over a bit so you can get through. Consider it your mission to make them feel valued and respected, and watch them scramble to smile back and clear a way. Then both of you will be happier than you were just a moment before, and you may promenade grandly...and proudly...to your destination, having made the world a better place.

And if that doesn't work...TAKE A MOMENT TO REMEMBER YOU'RE ON A FREAKIN' VACATION, amble over to the other staircase, mention the hooligans to the nearest uniformed personnel on your way past, and go take a nice dip in the pool. A lousy day on a cruise ship is still a damn good day.

Just sayin'.

Best first post ever!!! That was awesome. :D

Kay1864,

The most clever thing I can suggest is that you simply walk over to the next set of steps and go about your business. :cool:

I see you thought of the same thing I was thinking last night with all the hulabalu

Archived