I am such a (Carnival) ship NERD!

DarthGrady

So I'm sitting here at 11:30 on a Sunday night watching an extraordinarily bad movie, one of many such productions on the Syfy Channel. It's called "The Lost Voyage" and it basically a low budget version of "Ghost Ship". But to its credit, it does star Judd Nelson! :rolleyes:

Anyway, the thing starts at the Port of Miami back in 1971. The folks are on deck of the doomed M/S Carona Queen, and I spot a modern Carnival funnel off in the distance. This peaked my interest since the first ship to sport such a funnel didn't go into service unitl 1981! A wider shot clearly shows a Fantasy Class ship near the filming location.

Of course, I call B.S.! Not only were there no Fantasy class ships in 1971, there was no Carnival either! Oh, if that were the only thing wrong with this film........:rolleyes::D:D

Anyone else have any ship nerd moments?

I randomly picked a "Love Boat" show on Hulu last night, just to look at some of the old Princess ships. Bad show, but it was interesting. It showed the Captain piloting the ship from an outside area, and the ships were much smaller too.

So I'm sitting here at 11:30 on a Sunday night watching an extraordinarily bad movie, one of many such productions on the Syfy Channel. It's called "The Lost Voyage" and it basically a low budget version of "Ghost Ship". But to its credit, it does star Judd Nelson! :rolleyes:

Anyway, the thing starts at the Port of Miami back in 1971. The folks are on deck of the doomed M/S Carona Queen, and I spot a modern Carnival funnel off in the distance. This peaked my interest since the first ship to sport such a funnel didn't go into service unitl 1981! A wider shot clearly shows a Fantasy Class ship near the filming location.

Of course, I call B.S.! Not only were there no Fantasy class ships in 1971, there was no Carnival either! Oh, if that were the only thing wrong with this film........:rolleyes::D:D

Anyone else have any ship nerd moments?

OMG, I love finding things that are wrong in movies. My wife laughs when I see them. We were watching Majot League the other day and I saw a guy at the end of the movie running onto the field twice. I laughed and when my wife asked me what happened I told her. She didn't believe me so I hit rewind to show her. She couldn't believe I picked that out the first time through. Also, that is supposed to be Cleveland stadium but it is Miller Park in Milwaukee.

Socref124 - Did you see me in major league? I was sitting in section 124, about 15 rows up?

I know that PART of the movie was filmed in Cleveland Municipal stadium, because I was there. Charlie Sheen stood out on the mound, and a helicopter came in and took footage from the air. There was some movie related stuff on the scoreboard, and the loudspeakers told us what was happening.

LOL - my DH loves the show "Burn Notice." He was watching yesterday as I walked in and said - "hey, that's a Royal Caribbean ship." He just shakes his head and laughs at me when I start with the cruise geek stuff.

In spite of being on seven cruises, he can barely name the ships we've sailed much less identify the cruise line from a shot of the ship. He MIGHT get Carnival from the funnel but that's about it.

OMG, I love finding things that are wrong in movies. My wife laughs when I see them. We were watching Majot League the other day and I saw a guy at the end of the movie running onto the field twice. I laughed and when my wife asked me what happened I told her. She didn't believe me so I hit rewind to show her. She couldn't believe I picked that out the first time through. Also, that is supposed to be Cleveland stadium but it is Miller Park in Milwaukee.

There's websites dedicated to the inconsistencies in film, don't remember the name of any of them though.

My first cruise was out of NOLA on the Sensation. I asked as soon as I got on the ship why there wasn't water in the swimming pool (I thought it was strange at the time, I mean, a cruise ship with an empty pool?) but they told us it was because we were in the Mississippi River and couldn't have salt water in the pool during the time, because it is fresh water river. But the pool will be filled as soon as we enter the gulf.

After getting back from the cruise, we stopped at a rest stop and a brochure caught my eye. Sure enough, there it was... a big picture the Carnival ship (with NOLA skyline in the background) with pretty blue water in the pool! Not possible. Surely it was photo shopped!

I felt the sudden urge to watch Titanic last night... Still do today. Slightly inappropriate before a cruise...? :eek:

Ah well, probably watch it anyway, gets me in the mood to cruise. :o

When we walked onto Triumph back in 2007 the piano guy was playing "My Heart Will Go On" from the soundtrack for Titanic. WHOA! That was NOT cool piano guy!:confused:

Socref124 - Did you see me in major league? I was sitting in section 124, about 15 rows up?

I know that PART of the movie was filmed in Cleveland Municipal stadium, because I was there. Charlie Sheen stood out on the mound, and a helicopter came in and took footage from the air. There was some movie related stuff on the scoreboard, and the loudspeakers told us what was happening.

Were you really in that movie? I could swear that the stadium was Miller Park in Milwaukee. I have been to both stadiums years ago so maybe I am confused. I used to go to Municipal stadium to watch the Steelers beat up on the Browns in the early 70's. Also saw the Stones there in 75 with J Geils Band and Robin Trower.:D

On HULU, there is an episode of Hart to Hart where a jewel thief lowers herself down the side of the ship and opens a porthole window and steals a diamond necklace out of the safe. I watched and thought to myself, "portholes don't open". Then I thought, "And anyone with a diamond necklace worth scaling the outside of a moving cruise ship would not have a porthole room, they would have a suite."

I'm a cruise nerd, too.

On HULU, there is an episode of Hart to Hart where a jewel thief lowers herself down the side of the ship and opens a porthole window and steals a diamond necklace out of the safe. I watched and thought to myself, "portholes don't open". Then I thought, "And anyone with a diamond necklace worth scaling the outside of a moving cruise ship would not have a porthole room, they would have a suite."

I'm a cruise nerd, too.

Some ship's portholes open, probably older ships though. The portholes opened in our room on Queen Mary. Those things were very heavy and the glass was really thick. You could tell that ship was built like a brick s___thouse!

Some ship's portholes open, probably older ships though. The portholes opened in our room on Queen Mary. Those things were very heavy and the glass was really thick. You could tell that ship was built like a brick s___thouse!

All of those houses I have been in were made of wood:eek:;), and we called the Out houses.LOL

I was reading about your room was just wondering if all the aft wraps are the same i have room 6329 it is also a suite and wrap , Thanks:):rolleyes:

I think they are basically the same, although I have read that the aft wraps on deck 5 are a one room setup, versus the two rooms like we had. Also, the deck four wraps are the only ones with overhangs above their balconies. The rest of them have no overhand due to the way the aft of the ship slopes inward toward the top.

Archived