Stateroom decorations / flowers...your experience?

Hi!

Have a birthday to plan for and was wondering what your experience has been regarding stateroom decorations and/or flowers?

How´s the cake? How are the flowers? Or is it better to have a bottle of champagne waiting?

I´d like to have some sort of *surprise* in the cabin but am unnnnnnnsure!

Thanks for your help!

Karen

we ordered the decorations for the stateroom - there was a sign on our door, a large decoration and a few smaller ones hanging down from the ceiliing with a card saying who it was from (my husband can't read without his glasses, so it was wasted on him).

The cakes are lovely, we got ours at dinner - waiters singing happy birthday.

It is nice to have something in the cabin -

the bottle of wine and basket of fruit seems quite reasonably priced - last time i put on the card 'love from george clooney' lol

You could have a bottle waiting for you coming on and a cake for evening dinner- that would be a nice surprise.

from george clooney on the card! Lol

I'm trying so hard not to LOL because my daughter is sleeping soundly beside me...George Clooney!

We ordered the birthday decorations and flower cake for my FIL (they are not big drinkers, but we had them come up with the rest of the family to our suite for sparkling wine for sailaway) when we took a cruise 2 years ago for his 80th birthday. My MIL loved them so much she re-uses them for parties in their downstairs "play" room (where the karaoke machine is)--as recently as a couple of months ago for their golden anniversary. They were nice. We had a cake later at one of the dinners which was also nice.

I wouldn't bother with bubbly unless...1) you have a balcony to enjoy it on OR 2) #1 doesn't matter because you are sans kids and ready to celebrate:eek: Of course, you can also order bubbly and take it with you, but if you go up on deck for sailaway might as well hit the drink of the day and get bubbly at dinner or something when you will probably (haven't checked most recent wine lists) have a shot at a better bottle if that matters to you.;)

My friends surprised me on our last cruise. It was my birthday and they had the room done . I am so non obseervant, I didn't notice the huge happy birthday sign on the door because we had another sign there and I wondered why the other sign was lower on the door. I opened door and was just amazed. There was a huge decoration over the bed and several others throughout the room. It certainly was an amazing thoughtful gift.

Thanks all for your suggestions! We do have a balcony sans kids and enjoying a glass of sparkling wine on it during the sailaway sounds fantastic. The decorations sound good as well. Also like the fact that the one hangs from ceiling not hogging up important space!

Has anyone ordered a bouquet of flowers before?

LOVE the George Clooney idea!

Karen

Does anyone know if the bottle of bubbly and treats include a full size bottle? Years ago I was on a RCC cruise and ordered this and it came with a 2 glass bottle (half bottle). A bit of a ripoff I thought at the time.

I just wanted some sparkly for a get together on the aft balcony with another couple on sail away.

I celebrated my birthday on one of our cruises. Our neighbors bought me a beautiful large bouquet of flowers. It was so big it would not fit on the desk area. We put it on the coffee table. I think we ended up knocking it over about three times. It was very nice but was in the way most of the time. If you do order flowers, I would get a small bouquet.

I ordered stateroom decorations for my aunt and uncle's 50th anniversary family cruise on the Explorer last year, and they loved them! NorbertsNiece, love the photos and would recommend the chocolate covered strawberries too! On seven night sailings I have ordered a flower arrangement and enjoyed them all week. Turk, you get a full bottle of whatever and strawberries (9, I believe) with these items through Gifts & Gear:

Nonalcoholic Sparkling Wine and Strawberries $35.00 USD

Item# 524

Korbel Brut and Strawberries $42.00 USD

Item# 525

Domaine Chandon and Strawberries $72.00 USD

Item# 526

On our November Monarch cruise, I ordered the $35 flower arrangement for our room. When we stay more than one night at a hotel we usually get an arrangement to brighten a corner, so thought we would on the ship as well.

It was small, but artfully arranged. A large arrangement would have been in the way. This was a small, four by four by four inch square glass vase with about a handful of bright red and yellow various flowers.

I am attaching a photo of the one we recieved. This picture was taken on the last day of our cruise.

Img_4876.jpg.4d669cc55b3825312c065631db488b5b.jpg

Hello

Two comments here from our experience. We ordered the Birthday package for my fathers birthday and decorations, cake, etc all great. They loved them so much, that they would not take them down. However, not really worth the charge. Could have brought from home, for a lot cheaper. That being said, we did not do the work, and Mom and Dad thought the world of it.

Gave up years ago ordering flowers from the gift section on line. Always go to the flower cart on the first day on cruise or the second , usually a day at sea, place the order for my wife to be surprised. A lot cheaper to do that and I get to see her glaze away at the flower cart and then observe what she likes the most. Usually roses. This way I get what she likes, they always last for the entire cruise ( mostly 12 nights ) and easier on the pocket book.

RC makes big bucks on their pkgs and there are other ways around it. THe effect is the same. Flowers last all week, many times wish we could take them off the ship, but customs won't allow them on board the flight home.

Hello

Two comments here from our experience. We ordered the Birthday package for my fathers birthday and decorations, cake, etc all great. They loved them so much, that they would not take them down. However, not really worth the charge. Could have brought from home, for a lot cheaper. That being said, we did not do the work, and Mom and Dad thought the world of it.

Gave up years ago ordering flowers from the gift section on line. Always go to the flower cart on the first day on cruise or the second , usually a day at sea, place the order for my wife to be surprised. A lot cheaper to do that and I get to see her glaze away at the flower cart and then observe what she likes the most. Usually roses. This way I get what she likes, they always last for the entire cruise ( mostly 12 nights ) and easier on the pocket book.

RC makes big bucks on their pkgs and there are other ways around it. THe effect is the same. Flowers last all week, many times wish we could take them off the ship, but customs won't allow them on board the flight home.

I was going to say the same thing. And if you say "What can you do for $20?" you will get something more creative than what is just shown in the standard pictures. We really got a nice assortment of flowers.

Monica

I have never ordered the room decorations, but on our South Pacific cruise last year I bought a gorgeous flower arrangement in the open market in Papeete. I probably sold another 3 for the lady just carrying it back to the ship. You are allowed to bring flowers ON the ship, but you cannot take them off.

Mine were in a little tray with that floral spongey stuff that you keep moist. If you put them on the little coffee table, and then push the table up against the mirror, then it's out of the way, the flowers are against the flat mirror, you get the reflection making them twice a pretty, and nothing gets knocked over.

Flowers are cheaper if bought at the port and carried on board.

I ordered flowers to be in DW's room for her "girls only cruise last December. I never got to see them, but they were well received. The price was $39 -- not horribly out of line for ordering flowers to be delivered elsewhere. Her roomie [who stops by here from time] to time might have a comment as to whether they were worth it. I think they were.

I will say that the person who took my order did not know what the website said about deadlines for ordering [or at least pretended not to].

I've never ordered them, but I've seen them in the hallways and peeked into the cabin (I know I should not have, but there were these huge decorations hanging down :o).

I will not order them in the future as I don't care for big decorations hanging from the ceiling and because I don't care to have strangers know we are celebrating a birthday or anniversary with a sign on the door. Some people love it and that's fine, just make sure the person you are ordering for enjoys that type of attention.

If it were me, for my husband or kids, I'd take a different funny card for every day of the week.

Flowers, pretty but too much in the way. Where would we put our wine and glasses ;) I also have a runny nose and watery eyes from fresh cut flowers, so my husband knows better than to get any for me.

I've gotta tell you that I thought the decorations were kind-of cheesy when I saw them in the photos. But my daughter was turning 10 during our Freedom cruise this past January so I ordered the decorations and the cake for her. She loved the decorations and was surprised to find them in her stateroom. :) I have to admit, they looked much better in person - a lot of fun for a kid or a kid at heart. ;) The cake was good too - and there was writing on it. Yes, the decorations and cake are pricey, but it was worth it to me and I would do it again.

Archived