What did you do in Barbados.???

eddjbishop

The walk Eastward along Hastings Beach and the boardwalk is about 2 miles all told

but it's very pleasant, and you'll get your daily exercise this way

while viewing pleasant beach scenery.

It's quite do-able, once you're mobile (i.e. not walking with a cane, or suchlike).

You might never get past Hilton, once the taxi drops you there.

It's very pleasant at Hilton, right there on the beach.

You might 'get caught' halfway along at Coconut Court, on Hastings Beach,

-and go no further!? :) Who could blame you!

CCbeach-230.jpg

But once you're on the boardwalk, walking gets easier(firm underfoot)

and you'll probably go its 1.2 kilometres(3/4 mile) til you get to Accra / Rockley

where you can spend some time and then catch a taxi back to the port, when you're done.

So if dropped at Hilton as one is facing water; walk which direction (right or left?)

Also would there be beach and Boardwalk, or would it call for all terrain hiking?

I am directionally challenged please inform me where Coconut Court and Hastings Beach is in relation to Boardwalk. Is it near Hilton or closer to Accra? facilities? (bathroom?)

& tell me more about Coconut Court -is that a name of bar,hotel?

Just wondering best place to get a chair/umbrella/tree and still do a walk on some of Boardwalk.

So if dropped at Hilton as one is facing water...

walk which direction (right or left?) ===> Left, East -into the morning sun, into the breeze..

CCfish-172.jpg

Also would there be beach and Boardwalk? ===> beach from Hilton to Coconut Court.

- tell me more about Coconut Court -is that the name of a small family-run hotel?

Sounds like you should get a taxi direct to Coconut Court, which is on Hastings beach

and also about smack bang in the middle between Hilton to its right(facing the sea)

-and the Boardwalk,leading to Accra -to its left(facing the sea).

Tip: buy a compass? :D

Tip: buy a compass? :D

Very funny!

I actually never get lost, just have my way of doing things--for instance turning a map to match direction I turned. Thank goodness for Garmin invention. But not being familiar with island and beaches, directions make perfect sense now!

Thanks--love those photos too. Impressive.

I actually never get lost, just have my way of doing things-

-for instance turning a map to match direction I turned. ===> Hey, it works for you!

Thank goodness for Garmin invention.

A great additional tool for sussing-out a destination, prior to actually visiting it..

is Google Earth, the free! satellite-imagery viewing program.

Download it here, for free!

http://earth.google.com/

I use it all the time, often to re-visit places I've been.

In most areas the image quality is quite decent, and being improved all the time, section by section

so give it a try: you'll get hooked!

I spend hours just poking around, all over the planet

but if I have a cruise booked, I do the itinerary (who invented that word, spelled like that?!) :cool:

• 3 weeks later...

We sailed on Serenade of the Seas, arriving in Barbados on April 22nd, 2010. It was the last day of our cruise before a day at sea returning to port, so we wanted a beach where we could just chill. Boatyard was the perfect choice for us. They have a pier with a rope swing and a diving platform. The water was great and the beach was nice. $10 admission got us a rum punch, chairs, an umbrella and a ride back to the ship. The bar was pretty good... don't miss happy hour from 12:00 to 1:00 (a bucket of Banks Beers for $12). Boatyard is about 1-1/2 miles from the port. We really look forward to enjoying another day at the Boatyard... hopefully next April.

Asked our driver to drop us off in town on the way back. We went to Royal Barbados Cigar Company and watched them roll cigars. They were quite helpful, answering questions while they worked.

• 1 month later...
The photo you took, with the rocks, the fish and the clear blue water (using a fish eye lens or something)

- what beach was that taken at?

The fisheye shot was taken in waist-high water in the big tidepool at Coconut Court, on Hastings Beach.

With our 3 hours before our wreck snorkel - would you recommend Hastings or Rockley beach?
Coconut Court on Hastings Beach is a bit closer to the port, than is Accra/Rockley

and a bit quieter and less crowded

but regardless of which one you choose, there's the boardwalk that connects the two

so it's possible to do both?

The boardwalk should take you about 15 mins.

-maybe 20 if you're doing the Stop & Stare thing,taking pics along the way.

Coconut Court on Hastings Beach is a bit closer to the port, than is Accra/Rockley

and a bit quieter and less crowded

but regardless of which one you choose, there's the boardwalk that connects the two

so it's possible to do both?

The boardwalk should take you about 15 mins.

-maybe 20 if you're doing the Stop & Stare thing,taking pics along the way.

Should I tell cab driver coconut court hotel, or Hastings Beach?

Oh...stop recommending this, it is so beautiful it will be overcrowded ;)

Went on a zipline excursion booked through X Equinox. We had a great time and it was a short enough excursion on a long enough port day that we still got to see a good amount of the port. We did some shopping, went to a few bars, had lunch at a restaurant called Lobster Alive and spent some time at Boatyard Beach

Hi! Do you have more information about the zipline company? I can't find it on Google. Did you book it through your cruise ship or independently?

Thanks!

any suggestions for a hotel or restaurant with pool facilites that are a taxi ride away from the pier?

(we did an island Tour last time--so beautiful & lots of interesting history, so we just want to relax at a nice spot--beach/water view but with a pool & lunch)

any suggestions for a hotel or restaurant with pool facilites that are a taxi ride away from the pier?

(we did an island Tour last time--so beautiful & lots of interesting history, so we just want to relax at a nice spot--beach/water view but with a pool & lunch)

I have been creating a cruise notes file and cutting & pasting posts from CC. SO apologize to orginal posters for not crediting.

Hilton hotel day pass:

a day pass which included use of the the beach, pool, chairs, umbrellas, towels, shower facitlity, lunch and a drink for $35.00 pp. Taxi fare was $5.00 pp each way. 10 minute drive from the ship. Taxis available at the Hilton. They said lunch was delicious. Restaurant is on the beach. Had the signature Flying fried fish and a frozen mojito.............next time we'll go to the Hilton :>)!

Hilton's PBX number here on the island is.. 426-0200I just spoke with the Hilton in Barbados and this is what I was told;

$25 for a day pass for use of pool and beach

$35 for a day pass would include a meal and drink at the waters edge restaurant.

This is a per person charge. I was checking to see if I could use my Hilton Honor poinst for a day pass but they don't do that. My friends and I just got back from a cruise that stopped in Barbados. We took a taxi over to the Hilton ($5/pp each way). It cost $35pp which included a beach chair, umbrella, towels, and lunch and a drink (we got to pick ANYTHING off of the menu for lunch and ANYTHING off the menu for a drink). I think this is a great deal. I figured up what my lunch and drink would have cost me and it ended up being that using the Hilton's facilities only cost me $9

If you do not wish that one, while next recommendation does not have true hotel/pool inclusive settings I think poster APLMAC recommends Coconutes Hotel on Hastings beach--it is I think in middle near Hilton,Rockley/Accura Beach. I posted a question about Barbados Boardwalk and was given this compilation of information:

Accra/Rockley Beach Ask for Rockley Beach, not Accra Hotel.

It's a difference of about 100 yards, if that

Bar K'Nai was a good deal. 2 chairs = 20.00 BDS.

They had umbrellas available, too. I think 5.00 BDS.

Then you can "spend" that amount at the restaurant/bar with your receipt.

In other words free chairs

Right across the street and to the left in the middle of a shopping center is "Just Grillin" We had the best flying fish sandwich there.

Just got back...$15.00 each way for the 2 of us. $10 or $15 for an umbrella and 2 lounges, depending on what kind of lounge. Beach is not that big, walk till a spot hits you.

Took taxi about 20 minutes from cruise dock (US$40 for 5 of us) to Rockley beach, also called Accra beach. There is a manmade reef maybe 60-80 yards off shore, maybe last 20 yards of swim over my head. Many colorful, mostly smaller fish clustered all along both sides of the reef. My younger daughter saw numerous baby fish in shallow water close to shore as well. Beach itself is beautiful, with vendors for chairs, souvenirs, and food/drink and is located in resort area

From Aplmac----

Sounds like you should get a taxi direct to Coconut Court, which is on Hastings beach

and also about smack bang in the middle between Hilton to its right(facing the sea)

-and the Boardwalk,leading to Accra -to its left(facing the sea).

If you search for his posts he has great photos.

Thanks so much-- the Hilton sounds just like what we want!!.. Appreciate your post & all the good info..

The pics of the hotel , pool & beach on their website are awesome!!! do they require advance res,?

Thanks so much-- the Hilton sounds just like what we want!!.. Appreciate your post & all the good info..

The pics of the hotel , pool & beach on their website are awesome!!! do they require advance res,?

I do not think they require advance reservations, but said call day ahead. One CC member explained they will be on a ship Sat and they told him to call week ahead if I recall correctly.

I definutely would call or email ahead.

This sounds just perfect!!! Would you have an email or direct phone number? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for the info.

I have been keeping a cruise word document, and had cut & pasted this. It should give you all the info you need. Remember the phone number is a Barbados area code!

post from CC member:Mari10 (Jan 2010)

There seems to be a lot of prices floating around for a day pass at the Hilton. As others have said, your best bet is to call on your arrival date to see if space is available.

I just received this email:

Dear Ms. S..........

Thank you for contacting the Hilton Internet Contact Center. It is my pleasure to assist you today with your day pass question.

The hotel informed me that they do have a day pass. The cost is $25 USD per adult . The hotel advised me to ask you to call ahead to see if the day pass is available on the day you arrive. When the hotel is at full occupancy they suspend the day pass. There is also a food and beverage pass for $35 USD for adults This pass may be suspended at any time. I am sorry but there are no discounts for Diamond VIP members.

Mari

I contacted the Hilton Barbados directly, and today received received this reply:

Dear Ms. S____,

Thank you for writing to us. I am happy to let you know that we do offer day passes.

There are day passes for Just facility use for $50 Barbados Dollars ($25 USD) per person, day passes for adults including a light meal at the Water’s Edge Bar for $70 BDS ($35 USD) .

We would be delighted to have you. The passes can be purchased at the Front Desk.

Hilton Barbados

Needham's Point

St. Michael BB 11000

Barbados, W.I.

(246) 426-0200

We took a tour with Scenic Barbados Tours. We visited Harrison's Cave, breathtaking Bathsheba, the historic St. John's Parish Church and then had time to relax on the beautiful Accra/Rockley Beach. Since our family were the only ones that booked this particular tour, we had the whole van and day to ourselves! We found Scenic Barbados tours to be very reasonably priced making this a great way for us to see parts of the island.

We had a taxi tour arranged by Debra Branker at Welchman Hall Gulley. I saw the Gulley site online and emailed Debra and said I was interested in coming there. We began corresponding and I asked her what else would she suggest while we were there. She gave some suggestions and I asked about transportation. She said she could take care of everything, just let her know what we wanted to see. She set up the taxi and tours. The driver met us outside the gates at 8:45 (give yourself 10 min or so to get outside the gates) and we went to Harrison's Cave (beautiful and wonderful staff), Welchman Hall Gulley (we met Debra and a couple others working in the gulley) and Flower Forest, where we also ate lunch (the fruit juice was great and staff very nice). We also drove around on the way back to the pier to see some of the area. The driver was great (Sanjay), providing information on the places we drove past and we had the taxi (a van) to ourselves. We could have probably done more as we were back to the pier by 2:30, but we had an 8 yr old with us and it was hot and we were afraid the heat would get to her (which it did, she was dragging at the end and fell asleep as soon as we got in the van for the return to the ship). She revived enough to do some shopping at the port stores before heading back to the ship; there were some nice stores (the staff at Del Sol was great) and vendors. We had a good time and I hope to return some day.

Archived