H1N1 Vaccine

leah26cat

Someone told me that the H1N1 Vaccine is not mandatory to travel out of country, but if you do not have the Vaccine the airlines and cruiseships reserve the right to deny you or quarantine you to your room.

As I work in a clinic I had to have one anyway.

I was just wondering if this was something anyone else had heard.

I know I would be pretty ticked if I got to the airport and they told me I couldn't fly because I did not have the Vaccine.

Someone told me that the H1N1 Vaccine is not mandatory to travel out of country, but if you do not have the Vaccine the airlines and cruiseships reserve the right to deny you or quarantine you to your room.

I know I would be pretty ticked if I got to the airport and they told me I couldn't fly because I did not have the Vaccine.

I was told to keep the record of my vaccine in my passport for travelling.

I didn't need it a couple of weeks ago cruising from San Juan. Incase of another out break, it wouldn't hurt to take it along with your documents.

it is not required, they will however, have you fill out a form before checking in at port, it will ask if you have had a fever or been ill in the last 24 hours (or something like that)

I'm am sure, if someone was up all night with a fever, are they really going to check "yes" i think i may be getting the flu & risk no being let on the ship?

of course not! they are going to lie to get on the ship so i'm not quite sure how this form is helping.:confused:

Here in Canada they gave everyone a card as proof that you had one. On the card they have the date that you received it and the lot # that the shot came from. They also gave us a card for the regular flu shot this year. I have never been given a card for the regular on before. We were told that we should keep them with our passport as proof in case we were asked.

Unless they made it a law, I won't be getting one. I have never had the flu of any kind in my life, so have never gotten a flu shot. And I won't be getting one anytime soon, unless they make it mandatory and I have to show proof.

I have never heard or seen anything saying anyone was required to have a H1N1 shot for any reason whatsoever (except those who work in a hospital/nursing home and that is only so you can work if there is an outbreak in the hospital - not mandatory at all - if no shot, you can't work and don't get paid until the outbreak is over).

As for the immunization card - Canadians have always had those and they are filled out for any type of immunization - MMR, tetnus, etc. It's basically for record keeping and is not proof of anything - anyone can fill in the blanks. The only reason I could see a doc telling you to keep it with your passport is in case you went to a country that was having an outbreak so that you could tell them the date you had it and hope they believe you??? The only "proof" of a vaccination is a note/form with the doctor's signature on it.

You could be quarantined on the ship if you have symptoms, but you also get quarantined if you have symptoms of novovirus or any other flu-type illness.

OP: Sounds like the makings of a very nice urban myth.;)
Back when H1N1 was on the news all the time, and everyone was running around as if their hair was on fire, the time was ripe to start this silliness. Now, however, it is very ho-hum. Just got mine a couple weeks ago, and the clinic said the demand had slowed WAY down. I don't expect to see this myth having a very long life.:rolleyes:

Back when H1N1 was on the news all the time, and everyone was running around as if their hair was on fire, the time was ripe to start this silliness. Now, however, it is very ho-hum. Just got mine a couple weeks ago, and the clinic said the demand had slowed WAY down. I don't expect to see this myth having a very long life.:rolleyes:

Agree. But many here only read what they want too and make up or ignore the rest. I would not be surprised if in the next couple of days someone else starts an identical thread, stating it as fact that it is now required. Silly rabbits.;)

Like everyone said, there would be plenty of notice if this were true..and there isn't.

It IS true, however, that if you get on the cruise ship and become ill, and there is any suggestion that it might be H1N1 or the norovirus, then the cruise doctor will quarantine you, and sometimes your travelling companion(s) to your cabin for 24 hours (sometimes more) to see if you're OK...or if in fact you have it. There have been reports here on CC of people that have been quarantined for simple gastro-intestinal "craziness" due to change in diet -- no other symptoms. But for the cruise line, they won't take chances.

And it ALSO is true that if you try to get on an airline with obvious symptoms of "something", they'll question you, and do have the right to deny you passage.

But there isn't any requirement to show proof of vaccination.

I have never heard or seen anything saying anyone was required to have a H1N1 shot for any reason whatsoever (except those who work in a hospital/nursing home and that is only so you can work if there is an outbreak in the hospital - not mandatory at all - if no shot, you can't work and don't get paid until the outbreak is over).

As for the immunization card - Canadians have always had those and they are filled out for any type of immunization - MMR, tetnus, etc. It's basically for record keeping and is not proof of anything - anyone can fill in the blanks. The only reason I could see a doc telling you to keep it with your passport is in case you went to a country that was having an outbreak so that you could tell them the date you had it and hope they believe you??? The only "proof" of a vaccination is a note/form with the doctor's signature on it.

You could be quarantined on the ship if you have symptoms, but you also get quarantined if you have symptoms of novovirus or any other flu-type illness.

Here in New Brunswick we were given the cards by med professional. They are signed and dated. I am not sure what you are given in Ont as each province is different. When my children were given all their shots we were given a card by the DR. as you can not even start school here without one. Not very easy to get and copy.

Here in New Brunswick we were given the cards by med professional. They are signed and dated. I am not sure what you are given in Ont as each province is different. When my children were given all their shots we were given a card by the DR. as you can not even start school here without one. Not very easy to get and copy.

Ours here are just a fold up card with blank spaces for type of immunization, date, lot number - no doc sig - and as I said, can be filled out by anyone. We can't start school without them either but the doc doesn't sign the immunization card and the form we fill out from the Health Unit does not require a doc signature - I guess they just hope we're being honest. The only card given here in Ontario, that I have ever received, is that same one for the flu/H1N1 shot and it is not signed by a RN or doctor.

My husband and I went and got our H1N1 shots because the nurse told us that if we didn't that carnival has every right to quartine one who shows symptoms, carnival is only trying to keep their staff and the rest of the passengers safe. It goes for any kind of sickness. Airlines are the same way, they have the right to restrict you on getting on the plane if you are showing flu like symptoms. That is actually shown on the airlines websites. However if you do have your card proving you have had the vaccine you will be fine. People really should do some research before answering someone else's question. Also, I don't think it's right that one should say that someone is trying to cause problems when all that happened was that a common question was asked. Comments like that is what cause the problems. :mad:

Carnival has the right to quarantine you regardless of whether or not you've had the shot. If you're symptomatic, do you really think they're going to believe your protests that you've been vaccinated? Especially when the vaccines aren't 100% effective?

Carnival has the right to quarantine you regardless of whether or not you've had the shot. If you're symptomatic, do you really think they're going to believe your protests that you've been vaccinated? Especially when the vaccines aren't 100% effective?

Yeah, if you are symptomatic (especially running a fever), showing proof of vaccination doesn't really achieve anything. You could have gotten the flu in spite of having had the vaccine, or it could be another virus altogether. In any case, running a fever can indicate a contagious illness (though this isn't always so as there are some illnesses which cause fevers that aren't contagious), so airlines and cruiselines would probably be very wary of allowing that passenger to board. They have to consider the greater good vs. individual issues.

i haven't had the vaccination and had no troubles on my last cruise in 09/09. i have no plans of getting it either. i am not someone who gets sick easily. don't think they can make in mandatory becasue no everyone out there is able to be vaccinated. my father in-law had gullain barre syndrome and cannot have this vaccination at all.

i haven't had the vaccination and had no troubles on my last cruise in 09/09. i have no plans of getting it either. i am not someone who gets sick easily. don't think they can make in mandatory becasue no everyone out there is able to be vaccinated. my father in-law had gullain barre syndrome and cannot have this vaccination at all.

Also, anyone who is allergic to eggs cannot have the vaccine.

Archived