Free Style Cruising

Betty373

My sister and I have been on 4 cruises - all on NCL which we really enjoyed. Huge fans of the Free style cruising. Like to be able to go to dinner in the main dining room and easily get a table for 2. Also don't like getting dressed up. Here's the question - if we wanted to try another cruise line (for variety) but wanted to be able to dine when we want (and be able to get a table for 2) and dress casually - does anyone have any suggestions of which cruise lines might be similar in that regard? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Most mass market lines have open dining but they still have a dress code for dinner.

If you go up to the deluxe lines you can have open dining but more casual dress but not shorts or jeans at dinner like NCL

Most mass market lines have open dining but they still have a dress code for dinner.

If you go up to the deluxe lines you can have open dining but more casual dress but not shorts or jeans at dinner like NCL

On most NCL cruises, shorts for adults are not acceptable for dinner at the MDRs or specialty restaurants. "Nice" jeans (whatever people believe that to be) are allowed in all venues except one of the two MDRs. They also set aside that MDR as primarily formal/dressy on the "dress up or not" nights.

Also, RCI allows (but does not encourage) nice jeans at dinner on casual nights. I believe Carnival now allows "long" or "dress" shorts, as well as jeans, at dinner, except perhaps on their "elegant" nights. (Haven't been on Carnival; don't know for sure; don't know about other lines.)

My mother's favorite is Oceania because it's all open dining, generally quite good food, and casually nice (not sloppy or overly casual). Of course, the fares are generally a good bit higher too, but we'd love to give them a try.

beachchick

My mother's favorite is Oceania because it's all open dining, generally quite good food, and casually nice (not sloppy or overly casual). Of course, the fares are generally a good bit higher too, but we'd love to give them a try.

beachchick

The only NCL cruise we were on they allowed anything in the dining room the hostess did not challenge any dress infractions

We also prefer Oceania but it is more $$ than most mass market lines.

To the OP if you budget will allow try Oceania

Lyn

Pick the line that suits you best---and it seems that NCL meets that requirement! On the other mass-market lines, there is somewhat of a dress code for dinner everyevening, so you'll be "out of place" if you don't attempt to follow it!--unless you never eat in the dining room at night...then you can be as "casual" in the buffet as you like! But, you miss out on an important part of the cruise!

Most lines have an open seating option, but some ask you to pre-pay gratuities to enroll. Most are dressier than NCL. Carnival's dress up night is not very dressy at all not, though not my fav line. Other lines you could elect to go to the buffet or other restaurants on formal nights. Of course, you'd probably miss the lobster...

Archived