Passport renewal question please

39august

I have been all over the goverment passport site and can't find this question addressed. I am renewing passports for my husband and myself. I have everything ready to mail and will be sending registered mail. Should I mail both applications, with checks and passports, in the same envelope, or should I send each in its own envelope?

I have been all over the goverment passport site and can't find this question addressed. I am renewing passports for my husband and myself. I have everything ready to mail and will be sending registered mail. Should I mail both applications, with checks and passports, in the same envelope, or should I send each in its own envelope?

I just got my renewal back and I think you are safe doing both together...Also just to let you know, it took about 3 weeks to get my new passport:) Maybe it was 2 1/2 hmmmmm!!

Agree with skyking.

We just received our renewals back (2 1/2 weeks).

I downloaded the paperwork, filled it out. Took it to the post office where we had photo's made. The gal there put it all, along with one check, in one Express Mail envelope and mailed it off.

Now, our new passports arrived in separate envelopes (on the same day). Interestingly, the old passports arrived a few days later (holes punched in them) also in separate envelopes, but on the same day.

I will be sending 2 checks, as we each have our own checking account. Anyone think that would matter?

Should not make a bit of difference.

I wrote one check to cover both passports.

H20tstr did two checks.

We both got the new passports back in 2-3 weeks.

I think 2 checks would actually be good, because you are supposed to put your name and ssn on the memo line. BTW- I too recently had a less than 3 week turnaround for an unexpidited renewal.

I simply wrote the check with nothing in the memo line. Names are on the check, other info on passport renewal application. . . . not arguing any point, just what worked for me. :p

The US Gov strongly suggest that you renew your passports 9 months before they expire. So my question is; What date does the new passport expire on, 10 yrs from old passport expiration or based on the date the new one is issues on.

Is a passport good for 9 1/4 years or 10 years?

The US Gov strongly suggest that you renew your passports 9 months before they expire. So my question is; What date does the new passport expire on, 10 yrs from old passport expiration or based on the date the new one is issues on.

Is a passport good for 9 1/4 years or 10 years?

The new passport is good for 10 years from the new date of issue (unless you are a minor in which case it is 5 years).

That being said, there are many countries you cannot travel to within 6 months of your passport expiring and I do know people who have been refused exit from the U.S. because they were flying to said countries. So, in effect, your passport is good for only 9 1/2 years.:rolleyes:

Should not make a bit of difference.

I wrote one check to cover both passports.

H20tstr did two checks.

We both got the new passports back in 2-3 weeks.

I simply wrote the check with nothing in the memo line. Names are on the check, other info on passport renewal application. . . . not arguing any point, just what worked for me. :p

I did the same. Used 2 white business class envelopes(one for me and one for hubby) with the required form and picture in each one. Put both envelopes in a Priority mailer with one check and sent it off. No problems. Received our new passports back in 9 days.

Old passports with hole punched in the top are returned separately and you should get them about a week or so after receiving your renewed ones.

Glad to hear the turnaround is quick lately. My girls passports were expiring this month and I just renewed them last week at the post office. They said 4-6 weeks. I said "I only have 5 weeks and 6 days to get them back." :p:D Last time I renewed mine, I think it took 2 weeks. Can't wait until April.

Mary

Glad to hear the turnaround is quick lately. My girls passports were expiring this month and I just renewed them last week at the post office. They said 4-6 weeks. I said "I only have 5 weeks and 6 days to get them back." :p:D Last time I renewed mine, I think it took 2 weeks. Can't wait until April.

Mary

Mary, you can check the status of your renewal online here:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/status/status_2567.html

We were at about 5 weeks and they suggested I pay extra for the expedited route--got it back in 8 days (if I remember correctly).

Mary, you can check the status of your renewal online here:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/status/status_2567.html

We were at about 5 weeks and they suggested I pay extra for the expedited route--got it back in 8 days (if I remember correctly).

Thank you. It's not showing up yet but I'm confident we'll get them back quickly. (I hope I'm right!:o:D)

I am in the process of renewing both of my daughters (both minors) and I found out that we can’t do them by mail. It has to be done just as it was in the beginning. Both parents present, along with the children, plus of course all paper work (birth cert etc).

Just wanted to share this, if by chance anyone has a minor in the house!!!

Not sure of the turn around time yet, we go Monday morning.

I am in the process of renewing both of my daughters (both minors) and I found out that we can’t do them by mail. It has to be done just as it was in the beginning. Both parents present, along with the children, plus of course all paper work (birth cert etc).

Just wanted to share this, if by chance anyone has a minor in the house!!!

Not sure of the turn around time yet, we go Monday morning.

Same thing with us. My oldest daughter just turned 16 and my youngest is 14. I took them to the post office with the passports that were about to expire and they also needed the 14 year olds birth certificate again. I didn't have that on me so I went back home to get it, brought it back and they copied it. I hadn't known about that and luckily we were close to home that I was able to get it.

Same thing with us. My oldest daughter just turned 16 and my youngest is 14. I took them to the post office with the passports that were about to expire and they also needed the 14 year olds birth certificate again. I didn't have that on me so I went back home to get it, brought it back and they copied it. I hadn't known about that and luckily we were close to home that I was able to get it.
Yes, this is one of those little details that is often overlooked in renewals; the BC was needed to prove your relationship to your youngest. Either the passport or the BC proved her citizenship. This is the SAME reason that families with differing last names often need to bring BC's even when travelling with passports; have to be able to prove that the adults are the parents.

Archived