Water Safety for Children

We're going on our first cruise this May with our 3 children (ages 7, 7 and 4). Since I know we will be spending time with the kids in the pool, I was wondering if we need to bring pfd's for them or does the ship provide these? Anytime we go swimming, whether in a lake or pool, the kids always use pfd's.

We're going on our first cruise this May with our 3 children (ages 7, 7 and 4). Since I know we will be spending time with the kids in the pool, I was wondering if we need to bring pfd's for them or does the ship provide these? Anytime we go swimming, whether in a lake or pool, the kids always use pfd's.

No, the ship does not provide them, nor do they have lifeguards.

Have you considered swimming lessons? I know my kids started these when they were about three, though I know all areas don't offer them.

We have seen some kids with PFDs on cruise ships, but you do need to drag them from home. The other alternative is to not allow them in the pool unless you are with them all the time. Most 7 year olds are not going to be real happy in a kiddy pool since on most cruise ships these are more like baby pools.

Hank

We brought our 4 1/2yr olds swim vest with us on both of his cruises. We used it in the pools at the hotel pre-cruise, on the ship and on the beach. It did take up a little space, but well worth the peace of mind...even though we wouldn't think of letting him near the water without one of us. Hopefully this year we can use the inflatable water wings. He is in swim class, but always better to be safe...and he is more comfortable too. Also the ships we have been on the regular pools are not very shallow...I'm 5'3" and could barely touch the bottom.

Have fun, your kids will have a blast...I know mine still hasn't stopped talking about his cruises.

Archived