Voyager Class - Aft vs. Hump Balcony

ritzcruise

I'm booked on Voyager of the Seas in March and have a choice between cabins 8320 which is dead center of the hump or 9692 which is one of the aft balconies (not corner). I looked at pictures of both and know that the aft balcony size is larger but the hump center should be pretty private. Any experience with either of these of preferences?

We always *when possible* book aft cabins. We LOVE them and nothing in my eyes even comes close. We have had a corner aft cabin on the the Explorer which is about the same size as a mini-suite but price of a balcony :D We loved it so much we booked the exact same room for this May.

Looking at the wake is just so relaxing. Again this is JMPO.

There are people who feel the opposite of this but I think they need medication :eek: (only kidding guys) you know I love everyone on these boards! :) ;)

We had 9692 on Voyager last March. The balcony was absolutely huge! Two chairs, two lounges, a table and room for more. One thing to consider with an aft cabin on the Voyager class ships is the walk. It is 300 feet (this is fact, not a guess) from the elevators/stairs to the aft cabins. If you don't like to walk, it's a long way. We liked the exercise so the walk was great for us. If you don't like to walk, the hump would be your better choice. Another thing to consider is the people traffic. If you book 8320 everybody that is on the starboard side of the ship on deck 8 will have to walk past your cabin to get to theirs. You might have to deal with some unwanted noise. If you choose 9692, there are only a couple of other cabins near yours. We never heard anyone in the hall.

It really depends on where you like to be, friends at the Port #8620 and loved it. We are booked in that same cabin on our mariner sailing. Even on the Radiance Class, having an aft cabin is a long walk, so on a Voyager Class, will be even longer. Since the ship is 1,020 feet, figure 500 feet.

Personally, I think the hump has ample balcony space and it's such a convenient location. The aft, while the balcony is larger, is a looooooong walk everytime you want to come or go from the cabin. As only 2 of us are in a room, we really don't need to have space for 10 on the balcony! Plus, the aft doesn't get as much breeze, so it can get uncomfortably warm.

We have booked and love both cabins. However, since DW has some walking problems,we now prefer to book as close to the center of the hump as possible. It is just much more convenient for us. When on Celebrity Millenium class, they have a rear set of elevators and therefore it makes the aft cabins more convenient for getting to the buffet, restaurants, etc. In that case it is a toss up as to which to choose.

Hypo

We had 6616 hump balcony on Voyager last month. I loved the location being so close to the elevators and stairs. It was so seasy to come and go. I have had an aft before, but a couple of cruises ago we got a cabin by the elevator and stairs, and I became spoiled ever since. It was great to get off the elevator and be at your cabin already. ;)

We have the exact same dilemma on the Explorer for our cruise in June. Right now we are booked in 7320. It's our first balcony, and we are very excited about that. 9392 is also available, so we are debating spending a couple hundred dollars more for an aft balcony. Right now we think we will keep what we have, for several reasons.

We also like to exercise on a cruise, rarely taking elevators and walking the decks often. But we don't want to ALWAYS have the long walk to and from the cabin. We are really looking forward to popping down a couple flights of stairs to grab something from the Promenade Cafe, or up a few more to get to the pool or WJ.

And this may sound weird to some, but we like to "work our way up" - our first two cruises were on insides, which we had no problem with. Now that we have decided to splurge on a balcony, we consciously chose the smallest! We toyed with the idea of a JS, but for the same reason decided against it.

We have fallen in love with cruising and know that we have many more trips in front of us. I am sure we will try an aft on a future cruise, and eventually a suite. More to look forward to!

Sue

I'm booked on Voyager of the Seas in March and have a choice between cabins 8320 which is dead center of the hump or 9692 which is one of the aft balconies (not corner). I looked at pictures of both and know that the aft balcony size is larger but the hump center should be pretty private. Any experience with either of these of preferences?

I had a center hump cabin on the Mariner of the Seas and a center aft balcony on the Freedom of the Seas. Normally I would recommend the aft. However, on the Voyager and Freedom class that structure behind the aft facing cabins takes away from the view. Thus I would recommend the hump balconies.

Looking forward from 7620 on the Mariner of the Seas ...

2557503350095309218S600x600Q85.jpg

Looking aft from 7620 on the Mariner of the Seas ...

2174373510095309218S600x600Q85.jpg

Looking aft from 8714 on the Freedom of the Seas ...

IMG_1998.jpg

Viewaft.jpg

Perhaps I'm remembering wrong, but I don't really think the balconies on the hump for Voyager-class ships are that much bigger than standard balconies where the aft ones are.

On our cruise on Adventure, we had a cabin crawl after our Meet & Mingle. One of our group had a Grand Suite on or near the hump. People were oohing and aahing over it until they saw our D1, 7388, on the aft. We had 20+ people out there, with five chairs and a table, and had room for more. And we had shade. Even with the superstructure, I'm totally sold on aft! Not every aft balcony is quite as large as that one, but all of them beat the one on the Grand Suite.

Thanks for the responses. Seems to be a 50/50 split so I still don't know. I might flip a coin to grab one of them and then keep looking for responses

They're both covented cabins, so I wouldn't wait much longer or they may both be gone. We love the aft and would always book aft when possible. But we've never stayed in a hump cabin, so I can't comment on those. Have fun whatever you decide.

Archived