Has regent quality changed??

dugxfresh

Think you will have that "incredible" experience on Regent. They put out hundreds of water bottles near the exit of the ship when you are going ashore. They also have soft drinks, juice and water set up in the computer room and other places where people gather -- just in case your thirsty. It is also refreshing to see the staff being helpful and friendly without the expactation of a tip (fortunately they are paid a good wage -- something that mainstream cruise lines should be doing).

Please remember to post a review after your cruise. We look forward to it.

That sounds like a dream come true! from what I am use to. I like that you can order a drink at a bar and get anything you want. I like the wine that is offered and I hear its very good.

Just a quickie, but if you specify on your form that you want "real" champagne on arrival in your xuite, you will get it. We got Verve Cliquet.

That is good to know... thanks!

I too will be on that cruise, Looking forward to it; should be a fantastic time..

Just a quickie, but if you specify on your form that you want "real" champagne on arrival in your xuite, you will get it. We got Verve Cliquet.

Really!!?? How did you manage that? We had a butler, the same one as two years ago, he KNOWS how I feel about champagne and esp Verve but we got sparkling wine, one day out of 10 we got champagne but not Verve of course.

Really!!?? How did you manage that? We had a butler, the same one as two years ago, he KNOWS how I feel about champagne and esp Verve but we got sparkling wine, one day out of 10 we got champagne but not Verve of course.

However it is spelled, it is no longer available complimentary (at least not on our 9/2009 and 12/2009 cruises). They have replaced it with Jacques Chaput champagne. When you fill out the butler form, it asks for what type of alcohol you want. We always get Grey Goose which goes in a special section. After I write "Grey Goose" I add (Jacques Chaput champagne for embarkation please). It always works! The couple of times we were in suites higher than Penthouse, we did receive one bottle of the Cliquot.

Sorry about the typing error.

I merely wrote on the guest form "please substitute real champagne for the sparkling white in the suite". Hey Presto, Veuve Cliquot was there in the ice bucket.

I'll let you know in about 7 weeks what we get this time.

Yes, we are all paying top dollar and expect great service, but we all have different definitions and expectations of great service.

To me great service means don't bother me. Do your job and do it well. Let me relax and unwind while eating superior food and drink.

To others it means do every little special request that I have and wait on me hand and foot.

Both are valid expectations, just remember that everyone has thier own perspective.

Hi, I find the comments regarding some of the high end cruise line’s recent service adjustments or lack thereof, interesting. In May we will sail on the Regent Navigator which will be our first time on any upscale line. We didn’t start cruising until 1989, however got into it in time to experience just a touch of the old aristocratic “1st cabin style treatment”. My wife still reminisces over that bit of nostalgia. The voyage was on Sitmar’s old Cunarder (the transatlantic SS Carinthia) but with Sitmar, the SS Fairsea. Actually, we were on her at the time she was becoming the Fair Princess as Sitmar had just sold out.

Regarding past experiences (a few more weeks on the high seas and we will hit the year mark, 365 days of sailing) we sometimes find many of our traveling companions, as well as ourselves, comparing previous voyages to the one we happen to be on at a given time, placing negative aspersions upon the current trip.

Almost all of our travel has been on HAL and Princess. Both are owned by Carnival Corp. nowadays. A frequent criticism is that once Carnival took over, things went to hell. To be frank, when I honestly look back over the past and consider all aspects, both lines have improved since we first began cruising.

I recall reading and listening to many negative things about the Regal Princess. We were booked on her for 35 days. As embarkation day drew near I was getting sort of depressed from all bad stuff I was hearing. We boarded in Yokohama. My wife was getting our things unpacked, so I did a solo reconnaissance of the vessel, to my pleasant surprise I found almost all the negatives from the rhetoric were either exaggerated or falsehoods. I was pleased. So I stopped by the little “Hole in the Wall” bar and ordered a drink. I told the bartender that I was impressed with the ship. The only other customer was a guy at the other end who had been sucking them down. He said “I hate this ship, they should put a torpedo in it and sink it right now, I would be happy, only reason I’m on here is my wife wanted to come.” Who or what could have really made a dude of that mind happy anyway? Chuckle.

So, regardless of the negative hype, we are really looking forward to our San. Fran. embarkation in May on the Navigator.

First, Kennicott, I loved your post and can identify with much of what you stated.

I wanted to clear up something I posted earlier on this thread since my short-term memory has suddenly returned:eek: For the past two years or so, we were able to get Heidsek Monopole champagne in our suite (not the Cliquot that is only available in "upper" suites"). On our past two cruises (September and Nov./Dec. 2009) we were told that Regent no longer has Heidsek Monopole -- instead, they offer Jacques Chaput.

Sorry to have confused an already confusing topic:)

There are so many, many different champagnes available and some of the less expensive ones are just as good as some of the "premium" ones. If anyone is planning to be in the Champagne region tell me and I will give the name and address of a small vigneron whose champagne tastes just like Veuve Cliquot (and by the way, "the widow" is my all time favourite champagne!!) Only difference is that his costs around EUR12 / bottle!!

Last May on the Navigator I put on the butler form that we wanted "real" champagne - ie appelation contrôlée - and not sparkling wine which Regent calls "champagne". To my delight when I opened the mini bar when we boarded - there was a bottle of Veuve Cliquot!! And another bottle arrived after we left Madeira.

Here's hoping for Veuve Cliquot in April!! Santé!!

I don't believe Veuve Cliquot was ever the complimentary champagne, except in special circumstances. You could get it for your room, but it woud be "premium", thus counting for two bottles. At least this has always been our experience.

no, not since it was Radisson, then they greeted you with a glass!

We have traveled on Regent & Radisson (platinum at this time)...and have found many changes.,, some for the better & some for the not so good. BUT.....the one consistant item..is THE SERVICE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! super great staff (in general) all ready to be most helpful.. that keeps bringing us back.

Question:

If your very flexible with time; is it easy to eat another night in the specialty restaurants? Or do they book up and you can only have once in each one? thanks!

In my experience, they welcome repeat visits later in the cruise. Obviously the longer the cruise the better your chances but Compass Rose is so good it isn't a hardship to dine there.

Question:

If your very flexible with time; is it easy to eat another night in the specialty restaurants? Or do they book up and you can only have once in each one? thanks!

On our recent Voyager 14-day trip, it was tough to get a second reservation at either specialty restaurant. But...you could walk up to the desk in the evening, and often get a cancellation or no-show and just walk in. We did not do this, but met several couples who were doing it almost every night.

Archived