Olympics

Italy52

Just a quick question, will the outside Olympic cauldron (sp?) that Wayne G. lit still be around during the cruise season --- or, will it be dismantled by the time we arrive in late May? I don't expect the flame to still be there -- just wondering about structure.

Will try and find that out but I think it will be there as a lasting memento to the Games and to Jack Poole - the man most responsible for the success leading up to the Games who died of cancer a few hours after the torch was lit in Greece and in who's name the Plaza by the cauldron is named after.

I know the provincial minister responsible for the Games - she is my rep - if I see her at some of the events I will ask her.

Cheers

Dennis

From what I understand it will be there for good, but will not be lit.

Actually, in reading the press releases I get the feeling that the cauldron will remain lit permanently, as part of a commitment by Terasen Gas.

http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympic-news/n/news/vancouver-2010-cauldron-to-stand-as-permanent-legacy-of-games-in-downtown-vancouver-terasen-gas-inc.-provides-iconic-symbol-located-at-jack-poole-plaza-_274412vx.html

Thank you all for the great information, I really appreciate it.

One final question: in relation to the Pan Pacific, where exactly is the cauldron? I am so directionally challenged that I don't know where north and south is --- really true. To me, where ever I am facing is north. So, if you can give me a landmark (like a hotel or restaurant) I will do better.

One final question: in relation to the Pan Pacific, where exactly is the cauldron? I am so directionally challenged that I don't know where north and south is --- really true. To me, where ever I am facing is north. So, if you can give me a landmark (like a hotel or restaurant) I will do better.

The cauldron is about a block to the west of the Pan Pacific, just past the new convention centre and towards Stanley Park. If you're coming out of the Pan Pacific (facing downtown) then it's on your right, about a block down. It's in a nice plaza near the water, with a great view of the harbour and mountains.

Btw, in Vancouver the convention is that the mountains are "north".

Large crowds taking in the cauldron today - they have cut a hole in the fence so you can get a clear picture of the thing and you can wait in line - about 30 minutes today and walk up the west side stairs on the Convention center and great a clean unobstructed view - will post some photos a little later from my visit this afternoon.

Cheers

Dennis

If you're looking at the front entrance of the Pan Pacific, walk about 1½ blocks to your left. (which is close to west). A hint for travelling in Vancouver, if you're looking at mountains, you're facing north.

If you're looking at the front entrance of the Pan Pacific, walk about 1½ blocks to your left. (which is close to west). A hint for travelling in Vancouver, if you're looking at mountains, you're facing north.

Thanks much, I appreciate the information. :)

i still can not beleive it is fence in.. was in my local paper that people are having trouble taking pictures.. in July i can get my own picture or 6 to add to my memories.

i having so much fun watching TV every night..

Just back from three days of Hockey and curling. On Saturday PM in the beautiful sunshine you couldn't get within those two blocks to actually get near the Cauldron. Went as far as the road in between the Waterfront Hotel and the Pan Pacific and all you could see to the NorthWest (lol) was a sea of people. I'm going to wait until summer to see it also.

More people in town than ever has been seen. ever. maybe two evers.

Just back from three days of Hockey and curling. On Saturday PM in the beautiful sunshine you couldn't get within those two blocks to actually get near the Cauldron. Went as far as the road in between the Waterfront Hotel and the Pan Pacific and all you could see to the NorthWest (lol) was a sea of people. I'm going to wait until summer to see it also.

More people in town than ever has been seen. ever. maybe two evers.

Here are 3 pictures of the Olympic Cauldron, The front of the Pan Pacific and the water of Burrard inlet and the older convention centre (top level of the cruise terminal) from the deck outside the lobby of the Pan Pacific.

1193818270_Olympics014.jpg.6534614b8543c9d78f85412f502f95e1.jpg

902071355_Olympics016.jpg.4675fadce5708262d5334199b8d41414.jpg

757104801_Olympics017.jpg.77454b1ed68cf2d5365b86498d68afac.jpg

Archived