What if the 2nd passenger in a double cabin can't come at the last minute?

DonnaK

Twice I was supposed to cruise with my sister, and twice she had to cancel at the last minute. The first time, she cancelled less than 7 days before the ship sailed because her husband had bypass surgery. Because she was within the 100% penalty period, only her taxes were refunded, but I was not charged any more to cruise as a single. My sister filed a claim with the insurance company and was reimbursed for the cost of her cruise.

The second time, she cancelled 3 weeks prior to the cruise when her husband broke his leg and had surgery. (I am NOT inviting my sister on any more cruises!) We had a senior discount because my sister was over 55. When she cancelled, I lost the senior discount and I was re-priced at the current single rate. Had there been no loss of senior discount, I would've been charged the single rate in effect when I originally booked my cruise, rather than the single rate in effect when she cancelled. My cruise price went up $740, so I filed a claim with the insurance company when I got home.

Both of those cruises were on Royal Caribbean, so maybe they do things differently than Princess. But if someone cancels during the 100% penalty period (less than 7 days before sailing), the other person in the cabin shouldn't have to pay a single supplement, because the cruise line gets to keep all the money. If someone cancels during the penalty period but more than 7 days before sailing, the remaining passenger will be charged the single rate. However, most trip insurance policies will pay the single supplement if the other person cancels for a covered reason. If you don't have trip insurance and have to pay more - it comes out of your pocket.

Yes absolutley, no insurance no refund.

It falls under the 100% cancelation penalty. Why would they refund your wifes fare and then let the solo in the cabin pay only their fare based on 2 people in the cabin?

Your wife forfeits her fare (cancelation policy) and the solo in the cabin will pay the proper fare.

That isn't right. The cruise line keeps all money paid when someone cancels in the 100% penalty period. There is no refund (except taxes), BUT they shouldn't charge more for the remaining person.

If they did not refare then everyone would book double and have one not show up at the pier and expect a refund.

I wouldn't expect a refund, I would expect that they keep the fare for the no-show and leave mine alone.

OR, and I don't agree with this option, but if they're going to re-calculate my fare and charge me the standard 1 1/2 - 2 times the double occupancy rate, I'd want them to refund the no-show's fare. They can't have it both ways or they'd be getting 2 1/2 to 3 fares on the deal.

I wouldn't expect a refund, I would expect that they keep the fare for the no-show and leave mine alone.

OR, and I don't agree with this option, but if they're going to re-calculate my fare and charge me the standard 1 1/2 - 2 times the double occupancy rate, I'd want them to refund the no-show's fare. They can't have it both ways or they'd be getting 2 1/2 to 3 fares on the deal.

I agree.

We are dealing directly with the move-over supervisor at Princess (no TA), and as I mentioned, she says that I need to call Princess if my mother cancels and that mom can't just "no-show". And then, she will re-ticket the reservation as a single for me (which will cost me well over a thousand dollars), and will remove half of the onboard credit attached to that room.

So, she is not the best person to figure out my options, and that's why I came to the boards for advice and opinions.

This happened to us a few years ago with a friend of my son's who was supposed to travel with us (separate cabins) and we checked in separately but made sure all excursions were cancelled prior to boarding. No charge for excursions, can't remember on tips but I know the OBC did not change since there technically wasn't a cancellation they couldn't change fares and the additional OBC plus no penalty for single more than covered any service charges we may have paid. Did that make any sense?

I have a Royal Caribbean cruise booked for my husband and me in April. My husband won't know for sure if he can go until it's much closer to the sail date. (The final payment date was last weekend). I called Royal Caribbean to ask about various what-ifs - including cruising as a single and substituting another passenger. I could substitute someone else at no charge - even after final payment. If I cruise as a single, whether that decision is made before or after final payment - the single price is based on the double occupancy rate I booked. The rep I talked to said the "penalty" is only when everyone in a cabin cancels. If only one person cancels, the remaining person pays the single rate - as if it had been booked that way originally. That is instead of the two-person cabin price, and NOT in addition to it! At NO TIME would the single fare be higher than the total amount already paid for two people - except in the case I mentioned above where I lost the senior discount when my sister cancelled, and my fare was repriced at a much higher current single rate. If Princess does things differently - shame on them.

There is no rule that a cruiseline cannot charge essentially triple rates on a no-show. The 100% cancellation fee is a fee, not a fare. So do not assume that just because a cabin has been 'paid for' as a double that they cannot re-fare a single passenger. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't, and sometimes it depends on what is said upon boarding and the mood of the person who has to do the extra paperwork.

USUALLY, if one pax is a no-show, they just let it go AS LONG AS the showing pax does not say the other person is not showing up. If you should find yourself in the OP's situation, board the ship saying Mom was delayed or is on a later flight. Do not Cancel her. IF the ship questions it, say she is trying to catch up to the cruise at a later port. Just don't say she is not showing up.

The rules change the moment a person says they are cancelling and/or they file to receive any monies back, either with the cruiseline or insurance.

There is no rule that a cruiseline cannot charge essentially triple rates on a no-show. The 100% cancellation fee is a fee, not a fare. So do not assume that just because a cabin has been 'paid for' as a double that they cannot re-fare a single passenger. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't, and sometimes it depends on what is said upon boarding and the mood of the person who has to do the extra paperwork.

USUALLY, if one pax is a no-show, they just let it go AS LONG AS the showing pax does not say the other person is not showing up. If you should find yourself in the OP's situation, board the ship saying Mom was delayed or is on a later flight. Do not Cancel her. IF the ship questions it, say she is trying to catch up to the cruise at a later port. Just don't say she is not showing up.

The rules change the moment a person says they are cancelling and/or they file to receive any monies back, either with the cruiseline or insurance.

I see your point about the 100% cruise fare they keep being a penalty and not just lost fare. That would suck, but it does make sense.

I also agree that you should never tell them the no-show is cancelling or not coming. Make it look like they were delayed (missed flight, etc.). When it comes down to it, say they're making arrangements to fly to next port and catch up. When they never catch up, just shrug.

Happened to us last year on HAL. Husband got very sick before a 32 day cruise.

Called travel agent three weeks before trip. Husband couldn't walk, was in wheelchair and very sick. Travel agent couldn't believe that HAL wanted to charge me a re fare if I decided to go alone. I wouldn't have done that but just wanted to know my options. We would have forfeited my husband's fare and I would have paid the current price (which was much higher than originally paid) with a 200% supplement.On the HAL board I was advised to just have my husband as a no show as many of them had done. Well, he was well enough to cruise but had to rest up for two weeks in the cabin. Funny thing when we got to the terminal the ship had just arrived with Noro virus. We all were offered complete refunds if we didn't want to sail.We thought about it for a minute but decided to go, afterall we were already there.

We didn't have insurance. Never again will we risk not being insured . Would have cancelled.

San Diego Sue

I also agree that you should never tell them the no-show is cancelling or not coming. Make it look like they were delayed (missed flight, etc.). When it comes down to it, say they're making arrangements to fly to next port and catch up. When they never catch up, just shrug.

It will do no good to cheat/fib, they will charge accordingly.

Yes absolutley, no insurance no refund.

It falls under the 100% cancelation penalty. Why would they refund your wifes fare and then let the solo in the cabin pay only their fare based on 2 people in the cabin?

Your wife forfeits her fare (cancelation policy) and the solo in the cabin will pay the proper fare.

Which means that they're essentially charging triple, which I guess I'm thinking is "proper."

There may not be a rule against it, but I think it's unconscionable to take three fares (I can see re-faring if the no-show is insured through Princess). I'm going to go read the cruise contract (zzzzzz) and see if it says that if anybody in the cabin cancels it will be re-fared. Which isn't to say that they can't get away with it if nobody takes them to small claims court, but most people aren't going to bother since they'd have to do it in California and would likely spend more than they'd recover.

There may not be a rule against it, but I think it's unconscionable to take three fares (I can see re-faring if the no-show is insured through Princess).

When "Princess" insurance pays out for a covered cancellation penalty, that money does not come from Princess, it comes from the insurance company underwriter. Does that makes a difference to you?

Exactly.

I have been in this scenario and here's my experience. My dh due to work was unable to cruise so I went alone. He was a no show at the pier and I only paid gratutities for me (I gave the cabin steward extra because I know he was expecting the tips and his service was very good) and I received all on board credit.

Meg

it is simply NOT TRUE that you will ALWAYS be "repriced". We have had two instances where one of our traveling companions has not made the cruise and we have never been repriced or anything even remotely like it.

I was doing a B2B2B2B cruise with a friend of mine who did not show. I received his OBC, his Elite status benefits (4 mini bar setups), and never was I charged a refare even after they knew he was not coming on any of the cruises.

it is simply NOT TRUE that you will ALWAYS be "repriced". We have had two instances where one of our traveling companions has not made the cruise and we have never been repriced or anything even remotely like it.

Is it worth taking a chance and being surprised at the end of the cruise? What if the person doesn't have the money for the repriced at the end of the cruise? I guess I'm not much of a gambler when your talking about several hundreds of dollars.

I was doing a B2B2B2B cruise with a friend of mine who did not show. I received his OBC, his Elite status benefits (4 mini bar setups), and never was I charged a refare even after they knew he was not coming on any of the cruises.

You were incredibility lucky. I've never heard of your scenerio happening.

Is it worth taking a chance and being surprised at the end of the cruise? What if the person doesn't have the money for the repriced at the end of the cruise? I guess I'm not much of a gambler when your talking about several hundreds of dollars.

If you don't have the money at the end of the cruise It would be a sure bet that you won't have it at the beginning anyway.

Others have said it and it is very simple. If you cancel you pay the cancellation fee which can be as much as full fare and the other passenger is re-booked. It doesn't matter if you do this 6 months 3 months 5 days before or the day of the cruise.

So if someone cannot make it and it is close to the date DON"T CANCEL. If anyone asks the answer is" he is late he will arrive later" "I guess he did not make it he will catch up at the next port" and keep it up. I don't think the cruise line will care they got full fare. Just don't mention anything about canceling. It is then a matter of conscience between you and your insurance company if you have insurance.

Question...I just want to get it all straight from these responses as I may be facing this situation and I intend to cruise if my friend has to cancel: If the second person is cancelling due to a reason covered by insurance (and they took insurance which in this particular case was a policy via the travel agent, not Princess insurance), then they just deal directly with the insurance company and say nothing to Princess (and the insurance company does not say anything to Princess?), and I board and say say nothing unless they contact me, and I plead ignorance?

Thanks!

We were on RCI a couple of years ago with 3 cabins booked and one of the people couldn't go at the last minute. They didn't change anything money wise even after we told them. He lost his fare, his cabin mate''s fare stayed as it was since they still had full fare and the OBC stayed with the cabin since they still were paid. It makes no sense for a cruise line to reprice when they already have full double fare for that cabin. The no show is the only one who's out of pocket.

Archived