Navigator Alaska 2011 - Cabin selection

judebarsto

OK, I'm sure I'm in for an earful about vibrations, but the 5 ladies and I are probably going to book Category F on the Navigator in summer of 2011. Initially, since price is a major concern for several of us, we were all going to book the cheapest window cabins. (I know; Regent isn't a cheap cruise any way you look at it, but a different, cheaper cruise line was not at all attractive, to one of us especially. She refuses to go on any ship with more than 1000 passengers. So we were considering Silversea or Regent)

So, then people started craving balconies, since "everyone who has ever been on an Alaskan cruise has told them that a balcony is a must." Also, one woman has a friend who went on a Holland cruise with girlfriends, and was able to have the crew remove the dividers between the balconies. Is that possible on the Navigator? It would be great to have one long 3 cabin balcony!

While I'm on the subject of balconies: one woman (same woman who requires the smaller ship!) thinks that since we're going southbound, we should ask for a starboard cabin to take advantage of the sunsets, late in the evening. Any thoughts on this?

Anyway, since the cheapest balcony cabin is already $1000 more than the cheapest cabin, we really can't go any higher.

My question: Before I book, (and I haven't picked a TA yet), I am asking if it's better to have a Cat. H window room (all fore) or the Cat. F balcony (all aft). The women know about the vibration and don't seem terribly worried; they'd rather have a balcony. I don't think it will bother me, but I wanted everyone's opinions.

Hopefully, any vibrations will be "good vibrations!"

Judy

You are asking some excellent questions. What month are you going to Alaska? I would expect the seas to be calm in June -- into July. By mid-August to September the rains begin and it can get a bit rougher. Our experience in Alaska (late May) was that the seas were very calm which would be good in terms of vibration.

If the vibration REALLY won't bother you (just in case there is some), I would select an aft suite with a balcony over a forward suite with a window. You just never know when you will see something and want to go outside to view it a bit closer (bring binoculars).

You said that you are choosing between Silversea and Regent. If smoking is an issue, there are very restrictive smoking policies on Regent (no smoking on balconies or in suites). Silversea allows smoking in suites and on balconies. If children are an issue -- there are less children on Silversea (generally).

I am not aware of whether or not dividers between balconies can be removed. In terms of which side of the ship -- either side is lovely. We have gone both directions (and will be doing so again in May, 2010).

No matter what you choose, cruising on a luxury cruise ship is an amazing experience. Find a good TA and get their opinion:)

Thanks so much for your reply! We have actually decided on Regent for June 29 2011, and are hoping that the $999 "deal" for children on that cruise will keep the child count lower than when it was $399 per child. Also, it's nice to hear that it may be calmer then, and thus, maybe less vibration.

We picked Regent because of the stricter smoking policy, and also because there are "some" free shore excursions and the ones that have a cost were significantly (at least in some cases) cheaper than Silversea's.

Some of the women are not interested in float planes or helicopters (fear of small plane flying?) and are happy with biking, hiking, gourmet eating, and some rafting/canoeing adventures, all of which are free in 2010. And we can each decide which expensive excursions are not to be missed for our own interests and budgets.

Judy

We were not booked in an aft cabin, so can't comment about the vibration there. BUT, concerning the main dining room, the theater lounge, La Veranda, Prime 7 and Galileos Lounge (all aft), we found that what vibration remains is spotty and occasional, not constant. It seems to depend very much on ship speed; under 18 knots it was very slight. We went into the theater early in the cruise when they were showing a movie, and the throbbing (not a vibration) was enough to drive us out. But, that was the last time in the entire cruise that we felt it in the lounge,

We never experienced it inside La Veranda at any time, but the throb from some engine noise was nearly unbearable every time we tried to eat on the La Veranda outside deck, even when the ship was not moving. This was definitely related to an engine (which runs even when in port, to generate the ship's electricity). It was sort of, rumm-rumm-rumm-rumm which affected our eardrums more than the soles of our feet -- not loud, but penetrating.

On one evening, we had a table for 2 at the forward end of the Compass Rose dining room, near the ma -$4,155.00 itre 'd podium, and the throbbing in the floor was pretty darned bad -- we could see the wine in our glasses, and on the neighboring table, shimmering with the movement. But, 2 or 3 tables away, the wine was perfectly still in the glasses -- there was no throbbing at those locations.

So, from my experience, the bottom line is that you will feel the effect if the ship is cranked up and running fast, and on other occasions you will notice the effect if you are in the wrong place at the right time, while your neighbors may feel nothing.

Captain Bencina was new to the ship on our cruise, and early in the cruise, we felt the effects more often. It seemed like in just a few days, he and the bridge crew had mastered the touch to keep the vibration at a minimum. He told us that the new stern addition and rudders were "well worth the money spent", and that they added greatly to the stability of the ship and to it's ease of maneuvering.

:rolleyes:If you want to insure a peaceful, non-vibrating cruise, choose at least an E-class suite (Deck 6 starboard and Deck 7), both forward. The G and H suites have no balconies, which are nice to have in Alaska, and the F suites are aft and prone to excessive vibration should you or your friends be sensitive that way.

Hi Judy,

My first trip on Regent (at that time Radisson) was on Navigator to Alaska. We had a window cabin, Cat H, the cheapest. I never regretted it. Frankly, was much more fun to take in the sights from up on deck. My 2nd Navigator trip to Iceland and Norwegian fjords was also on a Window H cabin. Again, I never found myself saying "Oh, gee, I wish I had a balcony right now!"

I am not suggesting if all things are equal I wouldn't prefer a balcony. But all things are not equal. In your scenario, it is not only that you are paying a higher price for the Cat F cabin. You are also risking totally hating your location because of the vibration. Believe me, I am not exagerating when I telll you that the vibration on the back of Navigator is horrible. Luckily, most cabins on the ship are mid or forward.

I wouldn't go in an F cabin even if they offered it to me at the same price as the H. My own two cents.

Maybe you willl not mind the vibration , but chances are somebody in your group will and be very unhappy because of that. IMO, that is not a chance I would take.

I don't know if the last poster has experienced the "old" Navigator without a vibration as we did in 2007. Calm seas -- no vibration. Nor do I know if this poster has experirenced the "new" Navigator which, after the Captain got used to it, was able to manage the ship so that the vibration was minimal. However, when we were in Alaska on the Mariner in 2007 and on the Navigator in 2009 (Caribbean with some vibration due to rough seas), the forward lounge on the Mariner was consistantly full.

Unlike the Mariner, the Navigator does not have a forward lounge. I have read in the past week that there are a few people who love to stand out in the freezing cold for their views -- however, we preferred our balcony or the Observation Lounge of the Mariner. Since the Navigator does not have a forward lounge, we booked a forward cabin on deck 6 for our upcoming cruise. I truly cannot imagine not having a balcony in two places on this planet. . . . . one would be Alaska and the other Tahiti.

Just wanted to address those issues. As I said earlier, I believe you and your friends will have an incredible time in Alaska. You are obviously aware of the potential for vibration and were expecting negative comments. Please let us know what you decide and post if you have additional questions. I will be posting "live" from the Navigator in Alaska beginning May 26th:)

Archived