CCL Shareholders - Don't Delay

Frank12

I'm preparing to book a July cruise and was reviewing the CCL Shareholder benefit page. The current benefit extends through July 31,2010...but if you read on it says that you must book by February 28, 2010 to receive the benefit. That's only 8 more days. I almost missed it! :eek: If your gonna cruise before the end of July, book it this week!

I'm preparing to book a July cruise and was reviewing the CCL Shareholder benefit page. The current benefit extends through July 31,2010...but if you read on it says that you must book by February 28, 2010 to receive the benefit. That's only 8 more days. I almost missed it! :eek: If your gonna cruise before the end of July, book it this week!

The Stockholder perk is reviewed every year and is either granted or not. I've never read where it wasn't granted, but I haven't owned my stock for as long as a lot of others have.

I don't think there's anything to worry about.

What are the perks of being a stockholder for CCL? I may purchase some of their shares if the perks are good. Or, is there a site where I can review this info? Thanks.
The only perk is the OBC you get when you cruise. You'll get between $50 - $250 depending on the length of the cruise.

Here are the actual details:

http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_files/irol/14/140690/shareben.pdf

The only perk is the OBC you get when you cruise. You'll get between $50 - $250 depending on the length of the cruise.

Here are the actual details:

http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_files/irol/14/140690/shareben.pdf

Thank you :) We cruise in 3 weeks on a 7 day. If I purchase 100 shares tomorrow, then we can still apply to get the $100 OBC? My husband and I are in separate cabins due to having more kids than most sane people would. I wonder if we buy the stock jointly if we can both get the OBC? I need to go check out their history now to see if this looks like a good investment. We bought 400 shares of Ford when it was down to $1.97 a share. Made out pretty good with that one :)

I agree, nothing to worry about. Extended every year.

We, like most people bought the stock to get OBC when we cruise as we cruise 2-4 times a year. I expect that is the reason for the stock purchase of many 100 share stockholders. Can't imagine what would happen if they did away with that perk......tons of Carnival stock sold in 100 share increments over a few days....hmmmm

Thank you :) We cruise in 3 weeks on a 7 day. If I purchase 100 shares tomorrow, then we can still apply to get the $100 OBC? My husband and I are in separate cabins due to having more kids than most sane people would. I wonder if we buy the stock jointly if we can both get the OBC? I need to go check out their history now to see if this looks like a good investment. We bought 400 shares of Ford when it was down to $1.97 a share. Made out pretty good with that one :)

Carnival shares are pretty high right now. I bought when they were 19 dollars per share and they are up to over 30. For me, it was a great investment. As long as buyers are aware that the price can always go back down and they may lose considerably more that the OBC they receive. It's a gamble- but I enjoy watching the stock market every day. You would have to invest close to $7000 to get OBC for two people so you need to keep that in mind.

We, like most people bought the stock to get OBC when we cruise as we cruise 2-4 times a year. I expect that is the reason for the stock purchase of many 100 share stockholders. Can't imagine what would happen if they did away with that perk......tons of Carnival stock sold in 100 share increments over a few days....hmmmm

I actually bought 700. I wouldnt buy it for the OBC unless I thought the stock would eventually come back to what I paid for it as a investment.

I dont think people should purchase any stock merely for OBC or some perk.

Carnival shares are pretty high right now. I bought when they were 19 dollars per share and they are up to over 30. For me, it was a great investment. As long as buyers are aware that the price can always go back down and they may lose considerably more that the OBC they receive. It's a gamble- but I enjoy watching the stock market every day. You would have to invest close to $7000 to get OBC for two people so you need to keep that in mind.

High if you have a short term memory and are new to cruising, many of us are down, who bought more say 2 years ago. The whole market sold off, and is coming back hopefully, but still isnt back to what it was before it sold off for the most part.

I noticed the 52 week low was in the $16 range. That would have been awesome LOL There doesn't appear to be much movement lately. I may hold off and wait to see if it drops drastically again. Thanks for the input.

High if you have a short term memory and are new to cruising, many of us are down, who bought more say 2 years ago. The whole market sold off, and is coming back hopefully, but still isnt back to what it was before it sold off for the most part.

Really? I've only found 52 week averages. I think I can find out more detailed info on my iPhone app. Was it much higher a couple of years ago? It still may not be that bad an investment right now then. Must think about this.

Really? I've only found 52 week averages. I think I can find out more detailed info on my iPhone app. Was it much higher a couple of years ago? It still may not be that bad an investment right now then. Must think about this.

Yahoo finance you can look back at prices and charts to see how it acted for different periods of time.

I do think booking on Carnival is strong, based on my prices going up every cruise on Ecstasy I go on, never a price drop.

But there are many other cruiselines that Carnival owns, Cunard, Holland Am, Princess etc .. that might be more affected by the economy.

If you are just comparing year over year, Carnival got hit bad by the swine flu earnings wise around May thru June ... so unless something else bad hits, this year should be much better .. all in my opinion only.

I was able to look at the 2 year averages on my phone. It was in the mid $40s a couple of years ago. I doubt we will lose money, but may not make a killing either. If my husband and I own the stock jointly, why can't we use our 100 shares for each cabin; one in his name and one in mine? Makes sense to me. I'm not buying 200 shares unless it goes back down to those swine flu prices. We always cruise with Carnival. After 30 cruises getting OBC (or 15 if we can both do it) the stock would pay for itself. I like my logic that I am using :P

One note - so many cruisers own the stock it takes longer for the OBC request to go through. I used to get it within a day and now it seems to be taking up to a week.

Carnival seems to be leaning toward you owning the stock at the time of booking, but there is no current require to privde proof of when you obtained.

I have always been able to get for group bookings as well, but needed to fax to the groups department and provide the group booking number in addition to the other info.

Is the OBC awarded only when you book, or can you get it if you acquire the stock after booking?

Are there any restrictions related to group bookings? Can I still have the OBC in addition to the OBC I get from a group booking?

Yes, you can buy the stock after booking and have it applied.

I'm currently on a group booking and my stock OBC has already been notated. I'll be getting the group OBC too. The 2 are unrelated.

I was able to look at the 2 year averages on my phone. It was in the mid $40s a couple of years ago. I doubt we will lose money, but may not make a killing either. If my husband and I own the stock jointly, why can't we use our 100 shares for each cabin; one in his name and one in mine? Makes sense to me. I'm not buying 200 shares unless it goes back down to those swine flu prices. We always cruise with Carnival. After 30 cruises getting OBC (or 15 if we can both do it) the stock would pay for itself. I like my logic that I am using :P

It has to be owned separately in two separate accounts, one in both names to get OBC for two cabins, that are booked in each name seaparately.

Joint account, = one OBC for one cabin.

Buying any common stock is a gamble .The risk associated with stock buys is market risk based on many economical factors ,not just the performance of the company.

Imo ,at present prices CCL is fairly valued & I would not buy shares at this time .There are far better stock buys out there than CCL or RCL .

I chart stocks & have been trading for over 50 years . Don't just buy CCL stock for a OBC .If you buy the stock buy it to make a profit & then benefit from the OBC while you own it .

The Carnival OBC is available on any of the lines Carnival owns.

If I remember correctly, you used to be able to book on board and also get the owners credit. Then they stopped the "double dipping" and booking on board no longer made sense. RCI does the same thing and also stopped the "double dipping."

I've already covered my initial stock cost in OBC's so I can watch it forever. And as someone pointed out they are tax free.

Buying any common stock is a gamble .The risk associated with stock buys is market risk based on many economical factors ,not just the performance of the company.

Imo ,at present prices CCL is fairly valued & I would not buy shares at this time .There are far better stock buys out there than CCL or RCL .

I chart stocks & have been trading for over 50 years . Don't just buy CCL stock for a OBC .If you buy the stock buy it to make a profit & then benefit from the OBC while you own it .

Thanks for the input. Is there a price that would make you buy? Say if it drops to $25 a share, would it be a good investment then?

In Dec 2004, CCL was over $57/share. :eek:

They recently reinstated the dividend - too lazy to look up the ex-dividend date.

If you cruise enough on Carnival, it is a no brainer to buy just for the OBC - a tax-free dividend the way I look at it.

We bought at $38 and have already gotten back about $1000 in OBC.....including the $250 for our 15 day Elation cruise.....We cruise with Carnival at least three times a year and I thought it would be a good investment with the OBC and dividends......Dennis

Thanks for the input. Is there a price that would make you buy? Say if it drops to $25 a share, would it be a good investment then?

The chances of it selling off back to $25 are very very slim .. something really bad would have to happen to sell down that far. pe is 15, forward pe is 12ish ... so Carnival would have to miss earnings etc. .. It could happen, but unlikely in my opinion. I bought my first stock in 8th grade and have bought and traded since I was 20 years old. Im not old enough to have been in the market 50 years ... but not that far back.

Im in close to $40 and not worrying about being back out of the red eventually. I see it going up long term as earnings increase. Sure Carnival could miss earnings, but as long as earnings are forecast to increase, its unlikely to hit $25... just my opinion of course.

Don't just buy CCL stock for a OBC .If you buy the stock buy it to make a profit & then benefit from the OBC while you own it .

The $100 OBC is equivalent to about a 3% return... and that's not a taxable benefit (well, technically it is but the taxman will never know) so you can factor that value in time the number of cruises a year.

For someone who does not expect an above-average ROI and cruises with a Carnival-owned line several times a year, the stock could lose value over time and still be a good investment.

However, the quoted advice is very true if you are buying more than the minimum required for OBC, or if you are truly looking at the stock as an investment, and not as a way to score OBC.

Archived