Disappointing pictures of Spirit Veranda cabins

cruzemaven

We vowed after trying a Crystal cruise that were never going on it again because we found the balcony cabin on the Serenity was way too narrow for our comfort. Without hesitation we booked the new Silver Spirit veranda suite because having been on Silversea twice before we knew how comfortable those cabins are. After looking at the pictures recently posted on this board, I couldn't believe my eyes. What were they thinking when they designed those cabins? There is virtually no possible way to pass by the bed while someone is sitting at the vanity table. The picture showing the cabin from the doorway is anything but attractive. This does not look like a luxury cabin.I suppose the good news is we know what to expect when we arrive...it won't be a surprise.

I agree, extremely poor design. When we're on holiday, I enjoy leisurely primping for our evening without having to jump up and down so Steve can pass by.

My thinking is that if it's possible, I'll use the desk area as my vanity table.

I don't believe the mirror over the vanity table opens up enabling it to become a three way mirror anyway.....On a positive note, using the desk area will put one in closer proximity to the adult beverages.

Cheers,

Judy

The suite is more narrow than the one on the Whisper but its still beautifull and the balcony is deeper. The shower is a lot better. Hope you will enjoy the cruise despite your disappointment about the design. Maria

Hi Maria

The photos really don't look that great compared to the one on the SS website, however this will be my first balcony ever so I'm excited about that!:D

Cheers

Jennifer (ging466)

Hi Jennifer,

I am sure you will like it. Just be aware the ship is bigger than the Whisper

and the layout is different. For me the Whisper is no.1 but that does not

count for everyone. You have to experience it yourself to make up your

opinion. We had a wonderfull crossing and had a very nice group of people. Go with a open mind and you will have a good time.

Cheers

Maria

You know, I have to speak up. The suites are not "badly designed". They are lovely. The one area that is not the greatest is the narrow passage between the bed and mirror/make-up table/stool. The rest is just wonderful and a step up from the other Silversea ships. We were on the maiden voyage so have experienced them first hand.

I use make-up, but do mine in the bathroom. I used the area in question for drying my hair, but just sat on the bed instead of the stool and my husband and daughter could pass by if needed for the 15 minutes that I sat there every two days. I think some of you are making way too big of a deal about this.

Again, it is narrow but the rest of the suite more than makes up for it - in my opinion. People have different priorities, so making blanket statements that the suite is badly designed is inappropriate. As people actually experience the suite, then they can decide for themselves.

Janice, you're welcome to your opinion of the Spirit Veranda suite just as the posters above are entitled to theirs. After 16 nights on the Spirit in a Veranda suite--we found Silversea's Shadow, Whisper; Regent's Voyager, Navigator and even the Paul Gauguin veranda suites, in our view more functional/better designed than the veranda suite we experienced on the Spirit. We did love the Spirit bathroom's rainbow shower head and improved shower space/door; however the bathroom door will not stay open, the bathroom sink will not stop/close, the sink faucet is the poorest functional handle I have used in any bathroom (ship or land; I squirted my clothes half dozen times due to this poor design), there is little bathroom sink counter space, the veranda door locking mechanism is poorly engineered, one couple on deck (5) had to move as their suite flooded (during 30-35ft swells on 4 Jan) due to faulty veranda door locking mechanism. Silversea moved them by 6 Jan thankfully. The veranda door locking mechanism on the other hand worked too well for our next door neighbors. They were locked on their balcony for an hour (late morning) --until my wife heard my neighbor yelling for help. The veranda suite door is very heavy and difficult for the stewardess/ butler to bring in room service, especially with the very heavy sterling silver trays used for room service items. One butler on our deck quit during the middle of our voyage, she could not manage the room service tray, thru the narrow doorway, along with the weight of the suite door. The Veranda doorway is too narrow to allow walkers or wheelchairs passage. However, my wife did like the recessed curtains that separated the living area from the sleep area. I tend to agree the Spirit's Veranda suite's appearance is attractive, but once you live in the suite, you may find like my wife and I--it is not user friendly.

Silversea at the end of last year, upon seeing how the Spirit turned out cancelled their option for the second ship?

They know she was built as a $$$ maker sacrificing customer comforts and their core market was not going to love it.

Time will tell.

The silver suite balcony looks fantastic ... does anyone have a pic of the verandah suite's balcony that they can post here?

Cheers

Jennifer (ging466)

I would would also be interested in seeing a photo of the V S balcony.

Hi, not sure why Col Wes thinks I might have a different idea if I were to stay in the suite....I DID stay in the suite when I was on the maiden voyage. And I am sorry there were all those problems - although we really had none of those he mentioned - but his comments/opinions are valid since he did experience the suite. My point - if it was not clear - is that since different people see things different ways and have varying priorities regarding a suite or ship, posters should not be making sweeping statements as if there were fact - particularly if they have not actually experienced the product.

Again, we were very happy with the Silver Spirit Veranda Suite. Just our opinion - not a fact.

NJ....I agree that the fellow that posted #6 on this thread should find a different hobby. However, you are going to find that veteran SS sailors....passengers and crew.....will not embrace the new ship. There are so many design flaws behind the scene + the obvious (to most).

As a regular SS past passenger, l am often in contact with many friends who also cruise SS.

Recently, most of those who have tasted the Spirit, did not find it to their liking. None ventured the V/ suites as the reason. Most were not happy with the service, larger capacity, and the new "pay more for dining choice" options. This is what they sighted had changed from their core SS experience on the other smaller ships.

The majority that have shared with me, believe it is purely the larger ship and capacity that has bought this about.

On a personal note,

SS has informed me by phone, that future World Cruises are earmarked only for the Spirit.

Even after polite objections to this decision to my SS contact, they were adamant.

It is going to take some time to convince SS, that what they think we want, is not actually the reality.

I keep telling them, l have no intention on cruising on the Spirit because l am a small ship passenger and want low passenger no's cruises.

Just to send a message, l requested in writing that l don't want any marketing material re the Spirit.

Now every time l get another e-mail or broucher re the Spirit, l ring them and remind them not to, and only to send me info on the other ships. They keep telling me l will love it, and l keep telling them l am not interested and am getting offended at the constant sales pitch for something l am not interested in.

They don't like this at all. But they are begining understand.

I tend to agree the Spirit's Veranda suite's appearance is attractive, but once you live in the suite, you may find like my wife and I--it is not user friendly.
As we have said before, it would be better if they had used the original marine architect, who designed the previous four ships!

NJ....I agree that the fellow that posted #6 on this thread should find a different hobby. However, you are going to find that veteran SS sailors....passengers and crew.....will not embrace the new ship. There are so many design flaws behind the scene + the obvious (to most).

Not been on the Spirit yet,and beginning to think that I will stick with the better designed Shadow and Whisper.

My comments are based on many friends that have been on board the Spirit and many posters on the cc boards that are not happy with the "design flaws" that you yourself mention.

Ofcourse there will be sailors that think the Silver Spirit is the best thing since sliced bread.

On a first hand experience,the Seabourn Odyssey has no design flaws with their balcony suites,plenty of room to move around with a drink in your hand without climbing over the bed while your wife dries her hair.

I beleive the problem is that Silversea have 540 guests on a 36000 ton ship while Seabourn have 450 guests on a 32000 ton ship.

If only Silversea had a few less suites,then there would have been more room to have the suites slightly wider, which would have helped greatly.

If you're going to fault someone for the stateroom design re the verandah suites it should be the Italian interior designer who did the interior design of the ship and SS for not changing it. Fincantieri was the only option left for SS by the time that they made the decision to contract for the build. They do have an option for a second ship with Fincantieri. Talking to the chief engineer, who was with the ship from the day the keel was laid to the christening in FLL, Fincantieri was very difficult to work with. Normally, SS would use Marriotti, but Seabourn had already taken the available slots. Personally, I think the issue with the narrowness of the verandah suites is way overblown. The ship, overall, is really nice IMHO. Furthermore, she is the best riding ship, commercial or military, in any kind of seas that I've ever been on. As I said before, I think you're short changing yourself if you like SS and don't give her a shot. You're always going to get a lot of negativity, especially here on CC.

I agree with Jaffa. Silversea should be providing what the clients require not what silversea think we should have. Having sailed lengthy parts of previous World cruises on the Shadow it is disappointing to learn that future World cruises are to be on the Spirit in view of the many adverse comments from those who have already sampled the Spirit.

This doesn't do the balcony justice since it only shows one of the two seats and not the width. We took several others, but they must be on my laptop or portable drive.

I've stated before that we had no issue with the cabin width except for us it was the having to drape plugged in things across the room if you wanted to sit on the couch or lay on the bed. We found everything to be extremely comfortable and improved on the other 3 SS ships on which we have sailed due to the two TVs, the larger couch and the true blackout drapes on a tract. Were we in warm waters, the nicer balcony would have been much more appreciated. We'll enjoy that in the Caribbean in November. The better shower with rainhead was also appreciated. Different people have their own set of criteria on what is important. Our dressing tables almost never get used.

balconyforcc.jpg.481760623b6c07b785c360a53533e496.jpg

Debbie,

looking at your picture it seems that it would be difficult to recline the chair and stretch out facing the sea,sideways looks better, but with two of you on the balcony it looks too small.Thanks for your response.

This looks a much smaller balcony than the standard verandahs on the Odyssey.I know that both are in the brochures as being 65 Sq Ft.

... Fincantieri was very difficult to work with. Normally, SS would use Marriotti, but Seabourn had already taken the available slots...

Furthermore, she is the best riding ship, commercial or military, in any kind of seas that I've ever been on..

Wouldn't delaying the launching of the Spirit be tactically a wise move in retrospect, given the economic tsunami which was not yet evident when this ship was started?

However, the fact that a Navy Captain praises the ride of this ship should be reassuring to all.

Wouldn't delaying the launching of the Spirit be tactically a wise move in retrospect, given the economic tsunami which was not yet evident when this ship was started?
I just read a press release from a UK (luxury segment) agent saying that bookings in 2010 are well up on 2009 and crediting the launch of Spirit and Seabourn Odyssey.

Lord; We had a Grand suite on the T/A and we have a Grand suite this coming December cruise because we can afford it and like it. We do one cruise/year now instead of three and that way we can afford what we like. We did look extensively at the verandah suites where friends were staying and they seemed very satisfactory to us. I would not hesitate to book a verandah suite. Yes, they're different than Shadow/Whisper, but still very nice. I know you're a Seabourn advocate, but don't knock Silver Spirit until you've tried it. I know Wes had issues with the spa and gym, but we didn't use either, so I can't comment. I'll leave that to those who did. On both the maiden and T/A cruises the crew was still learning the ship and how to best operate it. I'll bet by now service is the same as it is on all the other SS ships. We found the service to be excellent and the crew didn't know the meaning of can't do.

Archived